Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gear Drive [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gear Drive

93bossgt
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
what's everyone's opinions of Gear Drives? Ya, or Na?

mustang8998
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Again, you're posting in the wrong forum. Get it move to the Winsor section.

I don't know if there are any ups, or downs to them, but they sound neat!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Well, i wanted a gear drive really bad because growing up that's what all the badass cars in town had, and i remember that sound and it just made me drool so i did some research. The basic opinion that i got from pretty much everyone is that they're unnecessary, even in a race application, because there are such high quality double roller chains out now that you don't loose anything by sticking with a chain. If you compare them to the old school single chain setups that'll stretch easier then the gear is probably still better. The down side that i was told is that the gears send bad harmonics through the cam and valve train and can cause excessive wear.

My buddy's S10 has a Pete Jackson gear drive...and honestly i'm glad i didn't get one. For starters, everyone and their granny asks what blower you're running because they sound a lot like a blower. Then there's the NOISE. They sound cool when they're on someone else's car but driving his truck is crazy, and the exhaust is pretty quiet. I don't see how anyone can listen for knock or anything else with a gear drive because all you hear is crazy loud whining.

1992MustangDW
08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
dont need one. BUT SOUND COOL

RIXXX93GT
08-17-2008, 10:41 PM
sound cool for two days and then annoying as hell, not necessary, and you will get tired of hearing, what kind of blower you got, or your power steering is going out. just my opinion.

93bossgt
08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't even think about that.