Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun question/troubleshoot [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gun question/troubleshoot

93Snakebite
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I know there a number of gun gurus on here so I have a question. I have a Glock 23 (.40sw). I fired a quite a number of rounds through it in March no problem. I pulled it out last week and when I checked the action, the trigger failed to re cock after racking it. I removed the slide and at the rear of the frame, I can see a small spring that appears to be only connected at one end. This gun has at least a couple thousand rounds through it and I have never had this problem. My brother in law bought it shortly after he got out of the marine corps as a concealed carry back in 96 and I bought it from him in 2000 or so. If I rack it upside down( all of this is empty of course) the trigger mech engages and the when pulled the firing pin clicks. Otherwise it won't engage and cock so to speak.

I haven't taken it to a gunsmith, just curious if anyone has had a similar issue and what corrected it.

Thanks
Dave

PaulFiveOh
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Will it chamber a round if you rack it upside down?

DeckerEnt
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Just shoot it gangster style.. LOL
No really, go to glock.com or what ever their web site is and there should be more info there. Might as well go to the manufacturer for the right info.
Keith

tcorns
08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
when the slide is removed, i am assuming that the spring you are talking about appears to be connected at the back of the pistol (connected to the plastic) the other end is kind of buried under some stuff and you can't see that end. you should be able to look down over the pistol and watch that spring as you manually reset the trigger. just puller the trigger forward and the spring should move. if it does not then the spring has come off or broken. you will need to have a glock tech fix it. if you need anymore help let me know. i have had mine apart so many times it ain't funny.
by the way... chambering a round is mearly a function of the slide and has nothing to do with the trigger group.

trev
tcorns@cinci.rr.com

93Snakebite
08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
when the slide is removed, i am assuming that the spring you are talking about appears to be connected at the back of the pistol (connected to the plastic) the other end is kind of buried under some stuff and you can't see that end. you should be able to look down over the pistol and watch that spring as you manually reset the trigger. just puller the trigger forward and the spring should move. if it does not then the spring has come off or broken. you will need to have a glock tech fix it. if you need anymore help let me know. i have had mine apart so many times it ain't funny.
by the way... chambering a round is mearly a function of the slide and has nothing to do with the trigger group.

trev
tcorns@cinci.rr.com

That's it exactly. I can pull the trigger forward and it will dry fire the one time. The spring isn't moving though. I will look for a smith who works on glocks and get it fixed. Thanks for the info.

btw I did think about going gangsta and just shootin' it upside down! haha
I haven't put any rounds in it while all this is going on but trev is right, it will chamber one. Having it go off when I want is the issue.
I'm gonna bring the 12 guage up til the Glock is fixed. Actually, it is probably a better home defense option anyway.

jk5.0
08-13-2008, 03:40 PM
It is the trigger spring that is broken.
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=glock&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.glock.com%2F

If you lay the gun on its right side ( from looking down the sites) find the 2 pins that holds the trigger to the frame. Use a punch and remove the 2 pins from left to right. Now find the pin that holds the firing mechanism in and remove it from left to right.

Just replace the spring and reassemble in reverse order.

You can buy a spring at Target World or any other Glock dealer.

Mista Bone
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I know there was a Glock Armourer (sp) who would be at the Hara gun show and Indy show, he'd install the parts for free, how I got my lighter trigger and extended slide release installed.

Maybe he'd take care of it for very cheap/free.

93Snakebite
08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks for the suggestions. Yep...me thinks the trigger spring is broken.
Anyone use the aftermarket ones I saw at the glockstore.com ?

tcorns
08-14-2008, 08:19 AM
i have one of the lighter springs in my 19. glock did a factory install on it for me several years ago along with some other upgrades. for my play gun (glock 19 #1) it is great. but for my other 19 i keep it completly factory for when i am carrying or when i have it on the dresser.
as for the trigger spring... yes it is very easy to change but i wasn't sure how comfortable dave would be in changing it. if i can be of further assisstance let me know.

trev

Mista Bone
08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Heard on the radio today, supposed to be Glock reps at Target World this Friday thru Sunday.

http://www.targetworld.net/

93Snakebite
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Heard on the radio today, supposed to be Glock reps at Target World this Friday thru Sunday.

http://www.targetworld.net/

Wow...that would be good timing!! I may have to trek up there.

I found the info on the web pretty informative. Nice pictures showing how to field strip the thing. I think I could do it, I just don't have a punch, but Sears is closeby.

How do you like your upgrades Trev? It took me a while to zero in on where I was aiming and where I hit when I first got it. Even now I still need a magazine worth of ammo to get on target where I want. I wouldn't mind a lighter trigger and I saw they make new barrels that have tighter tolerances than factory.
I talked to my brother in law this evening and he said he put 5000 rounds thru it easily and probably more like 8k. I don't know if mixing new parts with old is a bad idea or not but I would like to improve the accuracy.

Mista Bone
08-15-2008, 12:49 AM
My glocks POA (point of aim) is the three dots just below the target, the Ruger you paint the target with the front dot.

I don't even think about it anymore........

tcorns
08-15-2008, 02:49 AM
my carry gun is set up to shoot with the front sight just below the target.
my play gun is set up in a tactical config with lite and some custom work done to it. i have shot it several times in open comps and love it. i have it set up for more of the site covering the target. i have the stock site in the back with a hi viz on the front in green. some of my mods are the standard extended take down release for the slide, i have an extended mag release, i have an extended slide release that i don't use very much, and i have the heavier spring and tungsten guide rail in the front for faster cycling and more weight. custom stuff by me is a polished feed ramp, custon cut mag well (opened up and deburred for better mag drops), custom cut backstrap for my hand, and a bit of trigger work.
as for shooting it... it's a blast. when i did TDI a few years ago i bet i put about 4,000 rounds through the play setup in 3 days. not one time did i clean it until i was done and i never had one misfire. as for the difference in trigger feel. to me it does not matter. i can tell a difference but when the adrenaline is going i would rather have the heavy trigger.
i would say that the biggest thing you can do for accuracy would be making changes in yourself. i learned alot from TDI when i was there and it made one hell of a difference. my dad went with me and he could never hit the broad side of a barn. it took the instructor about 10 minutes with him and the change was immense.
i hope this helps answer a few questions about how i like my setup. if there is anything else you need just let me know.

trev

ps. i am looking for 1911 used if any one can point me in a direction. i have some ideas for it.

DeckerEnt
08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
The 1911 is like the Mustang of pistols. Everyone makes everything for them.
Keith

tcorns
08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
yeah but when you have your own mill and some ideas you can come up with some unique stuff. i logged some time in milling my own ar lower with some custom changes, and now i have some things i want to do to a 1911. i really need one to take apart so that i have a chinese blueprint.
i am going to try an add a few pics of the current ar lower i am working on. there is still alot of meat to take off but i can say that it is currently shootable. i have put a few rounds through it. i have done one other to see if i could do it and i ended up giving it to my dad. this one, if you have a good eye, you can see where i am moving the grip back so that i can get a better trigger feel. i hate to say that this is only a winter project but i have so much other stuff to work on that it keeps getting bumped back.

trev

Timido
08-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Very Pimp stuff. On the Glock stuff I have heard good things about the Glock Doctor that Mista was talking about. I think he was at the Dayton shows.