Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Help me settle a dispute! About Slomarows [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me settle a dispute! About Slomarows

redripper
07-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Guy at my work claims that his 94 Comaro z28 makes 325 rwhp and it weighs 3100 lbs. I havent found any where that the car weighs less than 3300, car is in stock trim. Car has never been dynoed but here is his math. Car makes claiming cheby's numbers 275 hp. He added a ram air intake and larger mass air meter. He claims that each one of these upgrades gives him 25 hp a piece 2 parts =50 hp at the tires what do think. All this through an automatic. Sounds a little rice to me. When a auto maker claims horsepower is it crank power or rear wheel horsepower. I always thought it was crank power unless other wise stated. If I am wrong please correct me, Thanx for looking and your opinions BRAD

facemelter71
07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
All car maunfacturers that i know of is crank horsepower.His car maybe makes around 250,if that.And those two pieces will not give him 50 horse power.He is full of shit.

99Slobra
07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
From the Bible that is Wiki:

LT1 V8 engine (350 ci) 5.7 L V8 with 275hp (flywheel rated) that had been introduced in the Corvette one year earlier, as well as an optional six-speed manual transmission. The

and the curb weight starts off at 3300 for a non t-top car.

nskaats
07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Good luck finding one at 3300 lbs, even dry. I have a 94 Z28 factory stripper car, no A/C, no power anything, cloth interior, hard top, T56. It's a legit NO option car. It weighed just over 3,400 lbs completely empty and bone stock.

The factory rated HP was actually 285 if I remember right. This guy is definitely a moron though. What's his name?

gtbadboy
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Most weighed 3450, 245RWH stock. And the mods are about 20 to 25 hp.

thecollector
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Aftermarket parts companies often just "prove" power improvement on one given combination. It is not neccessarily giving him 25hp over a stock car, but I am sure they were able to gain 25hp with their "combo"- probably a blower car pushing 28psi with a 383 kit and open exhaust, previsouly sucking thru a stock intake system and air meter... That is how they reach the power numbers you see in magazines advertising parts. Take any advertised increase in performance and you will most likely only see 25-50% of whats advertised. This applies to a great deal of parts, especially rice parts... but not all.

All that aside it sounds as if he has a legitimate 14 second ride.

nskaats
07-15-2008, 02:46 PM
All that aside it sounds as if he has a legitimate 14 second ride.

Don't be so quick to assume. He may be a 14 second driver, but he still has a solid 13 second ride. Mustang guys are always quick to call the 4th gen F-bodies slow...but from 93-up they're quicker stock for stock (save for the supercharged cars obviously). I've never had a problem putting anyone's stock LT1 car in the mid-high 13s on street tires.

Don't get me wrong, I like them both which is why I'm on this site, but his LT1 WILL be faster than a stock 'stang of the same year assuming both cars are stock.

redripper
07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanx for the replies. I tried to tell him last night the same info that you all have posted. I am glad some of the Camaro guys chimed in on this so I can show him this info. I told him lets put it on the dyno to prove his numbers. He said it ran low to mid 12s I gave him the benifit of the doubt with a low 13 high 12. The only reason I posted this is he said that this what was in writing when he bought the parts. If that was the case ram air and a larger mass air would be everybodies firsts mods.

Thanx for the info BRAD

redripper
07-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Don't be so quick to assume. He may be a 14 second driver, but he still has a solid 13 second ride. Mustang guys are always quick to call the 4th gen F-bodies slow...but from 93-up they're quicker stock for stock (save for the supercharged cars obviously). I've never had a problem putting anyone's stock LT1 car in the mid-high 13s on street tires.

Don't get me wrong, I like them both which is why I'm on this site, but his LT1 WILL be faster than a stock 'stang of the same year assuming both cars are stock.

I agree with your last statement all the info posted by manufactures on the net says the same.

Mike
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
I have a stock 350z and I'd like to race him.

redripper
07-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Ill let him know at work now.
BRAD

92coupe
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
The Mullet is good for 50 Horsepower.

nskaats
07-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Now that I think of it my Z only dynoed 312 with intake, longtubes, duals w/x-pipe, and real tuning (not some BS programmer or LT1 Dave's shit).

Tell the guy that if he's willing to put it on the dyno, you'll pay for the pulls if he hits 325 HP. He either gets free dyno pulls or an intro to the real world, it's a win-win situation!!

2-8-1
07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
He is a complete tool shed. Enough said.

redripper
07-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I tried to explain it to him 100 different ways. I just wanted to post this on a car site to see what others would think. Thanx for the I am going to let him read this tonight and see what he says. What do all think 3 pulls no wide band would cost I may offer this bet. Thanx BRAD

sinner
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I would have to see it at the strip, most of those cars(depending on the driver) are lucky to be in the 13's, why is it that all these guys have a car in the 12's but are NEVER at the track? Or never been to the track? Some harsh realities are exposed at the track, suddenly that 12 second street car is a 15 second car and something is wrong with it magically. Do yourself a favor when he starts talking about how fast his camaro is turn around and walk away, this might save you some time, or tell him to go to the dragstrip and put his money where his paperwork is!:D

facemelter71
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Shit,thats nothing.I ran over to Orielly's last night in the coupe,and the guy at the counter started spattin off about how slow 5-liters are and how ugly mine was and that his camaro (3.8L V-6 mind you) could keep up with a stock 5.0...........I offered to make a run with him in my coupe,he declined,in my buddy's hatch,he declined,and my buddy's 95 t-bird,he declined.Talk about a tool. Needless to say,im not shopping there any more.Real world dyno numbers are disturbing,and alot less than you think your makin.

02mingryGT
07-16-2008, 12:10 PM
No kidding? Your frequenting his business and he rips your car? WTF. You should have left and on the way to your car whipped it out and pissed on his hood.

jaystang44
07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Shit,thats nothing.I ran over to Orielly's last night in the coupe,and the guy at the counter started spattin off about how slow 5-liters are and how ugly mine was and that his camaro (3.8L V-6 mind you) could keep up with a stock 5.0...........I offered to make a run with him in my coupe,he declined,in my buddy's hatch,he declined,and my buddy's 95 t-bird,he declined.Talk about a tool. Needless to say,im not shopping there any more.Real world dyno numbers are disturbing,and alot less than you think your makin.

See the only problem you would have there is "YOU" would be driving and ive see you drive :eek: well I guess you can call that driving :lol::lol:

Jk man just trying to get a riase out of ya :flipoff:

facemelter71
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Jay,whats up with ya.I know your in school and all,and i guess busy with your wife,or girlfriend or something,HEHE.But any way.Yea i shoulda just pissed right on his seat through the open window.But i could spit to the hamilton county police department.

Mista Bone
07-16-2008, 02:27 PM
O'Reily likely was using the leftover Blockbuster staff :)

Oh yeah, that was me Friday on 747 :)

facemelter71
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Yea i saw ya in the honda.I waved but i think you turned back around....And i kinda got the hint from the two at O-rielly's that they were about as sharp as a gummy worm.So we left and went to A-Z.

cobradon
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanx for the replies. I tried to tell him last night the same info that you all have posted. I am glad some of the Camaro guys chimed in on this so I can show him this info. I told him lets put it on the dyno to prove his numbers. He said it ran low to mid 12s I gave him the benifit of the doubt with a low 13 high 12. The only reason I posted this is he said that this what was in writing when he bought the parts. If that was the case ram air and a larger mass air would be everybodies firsts mods.

Thanx for the info BRAD

mid 12's no way mid 13's maybe my 99 cobra made 278rwhp best time on street tires 13.7 at 102mph.Only mods CAI,exhaust car weighs about 3400lbs.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
The only simple bolt on that's gonna give you 50hp is nitrous. There's also no chance in hell it weighs 3100lbs unless the interior and trunk are gutted and he's running Welds, and then i'd still be surprised.

In the end it's all bench racing until he shows you time slips.

nskaats
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
mid 12's no way mid 13's maybe my 99 cobra made 278rwhp best time on street tires 13.7 at 102mph.Only mods CAI,exhaust car weighs about 3400lbs.

You gotta remember we're talking different cars here, your Mustang really doesn't mean much in relation to this vehicle. Different weight, different power curve, different gearing, and most importantly a different driver.

Just for comparison sake: Last year my mods were a cold air intake, stock manifolds and single cat y-pipe, cat-back, and a basic program we threw in it. My Z dynoed 282 HP at the wheels and weighed 3,625 lbs with me in the driver's seat. The previous owner went 14.1 @ 99 MPH on a 2.1 60' time and I went 12.98 @ 108.87 MPH on a 1.98 60' with the same combination.

Generally someone as ignorant as the tool box in question here can't drive for shit either, so I'd still bet he's a 14 second driver in a low-mid 13s car.

zlou363lx
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I have a stock 350z and I'd like to race him.

lol

go taunt my buddy into racing you. i want to see it happen. /hijack

redripper
07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
You know I never real thought about the numbers thing comapared to my 331 with afr heads in my car and it only made 355 to the tires at MD. i think I need to get my car together and run it. i never had my car down the 1320 but it would be a site to see. BRAD

Camaro86SHOCKER
07-17-2008, 03:29 AM
93-97 z's are not slow but by no means fast, all stock. this camaro guy sounds likes an lt1 dave customer. :barf: :dummy:

redripper
07-17-2008, 09:20 AM
:bigthumbIts hard to post at work but now that im home I got the time. I couldnt even get him to read any of the post on this thread based on right now he is the laughing stock of Stangbangerz. Although a good guy he is full of poop. I told him that Camaro and Mustang guys both have posted to it and there is very honest info as far a people posting about their own cars. I also said there is several cars here willing to race him and give him an honest race. I gave him the deal to dyno his car and Ill pay if it makes the power he claims and made a 500 dollar bet on it to boot. All and all at the end of today when he said he knows his car and nowbody knows what they are talking about. I told him if you think you get 25 horse out a CAI you think like a honda guy. Threw in if it had any stickers on those are worth ten horses a piece. I am going to bring my car out and bust his ass. It will take a minute to get it going but it will be worth it. Thanx for all the post and all of the Camaro guys that posted to help me debunk his BS. I will keep all posted if he keeps digging this hole.

BRAD :bigthumb

nskaats
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM
The one area I can vouch for the clown is the CAI. On an LT1, a K&N or Moroso CAI is worth 25-30 HP or better in some cases. Every car I've installed or even seen one installed on has gained a MINIMUM of 3 MPH through the traps. The stock intake on LT1 cars is extremely restrictive. It's not going to make 325 HP to the wheels by ANY means, but it'll pick up quite a bit.

The MAF might actually be costing him some power depending on which one it is. The larger meter obviously helps flow, but most of them are so far off on calibration that they'll cost you a few HP.

sinner
07-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah if more people would dyno there cars, maybe they would not talk shit, my 88 would be lucky to put down 190 at the wheels, but according to bench racer logic
Pulleys 20 hp
headers 25 hp
x-pipe 15 hp
CAI 20 hp
Add that to the stock 225hp and you get..........315 hp!!!!

BUt why does it only dyno at 190......its not cumulative dipshit
BUt the magazine ad said!!!!!!
SO it MUST be true they would not print it otherwise right!!!!????
Simple logic simple human simple lack of human brain evolution!!:flipoff: