Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
H and X pipes [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : H and X pipes

93bossgt
07-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Can someone explain to me if I really need an H or X pipe? I'm new to stang bangerz and I really need to know what the big deal is about the two.

fst 5pto
07-07-2008, 07:50 AM
An aftermarket exhaust will give you more power plus it sounds a ton better :lol: its the first mod most people do I would say.

People say an X pipe will give you more power, so I would try that. I have a bassani for sale. If interested PM me.

BigBadStang
07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Both are designed to balance out the pulses in the exhaust system and improve the scavenging effect (basically this means that with the flow of exhaust gasses from one bank flows across the opening of the H or X, it creates a negative pressure [suction] that helps pull the exhaust gasses from the opposite bank as the exhaust valve starts to open.) of the exhaust system. They also change the tone of an existing exhaust system. Usually it makes the sound a little less "harsh", or "cackly"...lol... if there is such a word. The X is supposed to be the better of the two. It's just more efficient than an H, smoother transition at the crossover point than an H.

quik lx
07-07-2008, 11:42 AM
If you want the car loud all the time get an H pipe, if you want max power get an X pipe. We picked up 30 HP going from an H with tailpipes to a X with pro dumps on a 331 inch. Ever since we switched to X pipes we can have a conversation on the freeway!!

black90lx
07-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Ive got an x-pipe on my car and it is real quite until around 3k or 4k then it gets louder. I like it a lot and I think it sounds better than h-pipe.

Blackpony
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I've got a BBK x pipe along with flowmaster headers and flowmaster 40 serise mufflers and i have to say mines pretty loud

holeshot
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I am running an H-pipe right now, and it sounds much deeper and throaty compared to an x-pipe. I agree though, the x-pipes are supposed to have better power gains.

5.0calypso93lx
07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
If you want the car loud all the time get an H pipe, if you want max power get an X pipe. We picked up 30 HP going from an H with tailpipes to a X with pro dumps on a 331 inch. Ever since we switched to X pipes we can have a conversation on the freeway!!

Best of both worlds IMO.

black90lx
07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I have bbk headers MAC o/r x and Mac mufflers. My car was louder with the h at lower RPM's than it is with the x. But it still gets loud in upper rpm's.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
It should also be noted that the better crossover flow potential of the X needs to be teamed up with high flowing exhaust to really see the benefits (though marginal at best) over what an H will provide. Generally it comes down to bette torque numbers with an H and better peak horsepower numbers with an X, but it's so small and trivial that most people will just go with what sounds best to them (X for me). X's tend to give an exhaust a more rippy higher pitched raspy sound, whereas an H is more rumbly like your typical "5.0 exhaust" sound.

04 Venom
07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
X's tend to give an exhaust a more rippy higher pitched raspy sound, whereas an H is more rumbly like your typical "5.0 exhaust" sound.

I prefer the rumble of an H-pipe for sound and low end torque for the reasons stated above.

06hoss
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Can someone explain to me if I really need an H or X pipe? I'm new to stang bangerz and I really need to know what the big deal is about the two.

You don't have to have one, but like someone said, they both improve the scavenging effect in the cylinders.
An X flows better so it will give you slightly more HP at the top of the rpm range. The H sounds deeper and makes the motor sound more like a big block, but the X is raspier. Your muffs make a difference too. It really just depends on your sound preference. I run an H since I like the sound...alot of guys with the 3 valve 4.6 are running Hs instead of Xs since they like the sound better.
The regular GT 500 runs an X with Borla muffs, but the King of the Road has an H with Bullitt muffs...for sound puposes. I have a C&L Street CAI, American Racing long tubes with catted H and MAC muffs. The system is pretty loud, but deep. My first H pipe from AR was defective (they didn't cut out the holes in the main pipes before they welded on the H...yes it's true) so my exhaust was even louder without the functioning H. Now that I have a new H on there the sound is just about perfect. I've been toying with the idea of electronic cutouts just for fun but haven't done it yet. I think your 5.0will sound awesome no matter what you decide, but you might want to listen to both before you buy one. I see in your profile that you are in Erlanger and are a warehouse manager. I live in Erlanger and work off of Industrial in Florence.
If it would help we could meet up and you could hear mine, but with your engine difference I don't know if it would or not.

facemelter71
07-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Most racers have adopted the X-pipe system.It provides excellent scavenging in the low to upper midrange.At very high rpm its not as effective...........The H-pipe has been a staple for decades,and is still a viable choice.It does a nice job of balancing pressure on each cylinder bank while providing superior scavenging at high rpm.H-pipe's advantages over an X-pipe don't start untill 5ooo plus rpm,and is most beneficial over 6000 rpm's.The only place the X-pipes have worked really well is with motors that allready produce alot of torque.The H-pipe will slightly soften the bottom and midrange.
This was all taken from High performance pontiac magazine,its the only thing i could find that had a pretty good read on the difference of the two.It could all be hogwash and bullshit,but i figured i throw it in there.

93bossgt
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
where do you work at? I too, work off of industrial on Foundation.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Most racers have adopted the X-pipe system.It provides excellent scavenging in the low to upper midrange.At very high rpm its not as effective...........The H-pipe has been a staple for decades,and is still a viable choice.It does a nice job of balancing pressure on each cylinder bank while providing superior scavenging at high rpm.H-pipe's advantages over an X-pipe don't start untill 5ooo plus rpm,and is most beneficial over 6000 rpm's.The only place the X-pipes have worked really well is with motors that allready produce alot of torque.The H-pipe will slightly soften the bottom and midrange.
This was all taken from High performance pontiac magazine,its the only thing i could find that had a pretty good read on the difference of the two.It could all be hogwash and bullshit,but i figured i throw it in there.

Yeah maybe...that's the exact opposite of what i've always heard/read about how they perform...everything that says about the H is what i've heard about the X....but still that's just what i've read too so who knows.

06hoss
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
where do you work at? I too, work off of industrial on Foundation.
Kentucky Drive...I have to drive by Foundation every day going to work and back. I'll send you a PM.

05yellowgt
07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Now what about throwing a Prochamber into the mix. I have never seen any back to back to back tests but I have heard several times that the the Prochamber makes more power than both the X and the H.

06hoss
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah maybe...that's the exact opposite of what i've always heard/read about how they perform...everything that says about the H is what i've heard about the X....but still that's just what i've read too so who knows.

Yeah me too. I've always heard that the X flows better at higher rpms than the H. Just the shape of if looks like it would flow better. That's why some of us guys with S197 GTs say we're running Hs for sound...we know we're giving up a little bit of HP up high. It almost like you have to apologize for not bolting on the best flowing piece, but sound means a lot on a street car.

myownr
07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
would i pick up more sound with a h-pipe w/ no cat vs h pipe with cats. right now i have 1 3/4" bbk lt's with bbk cat hipe & mac flowpaths. I'm looking to get a louder exhaust note and was thinking how much just a h pipe would add

bbfstanger
07-14-2008, 12:25 AM
loosing the cats will definately liven up the exhaust a bunch.

Mustard
07-14-2008, 08:08 AM
If we are giving votes on what we all think is best I Have to go with the Prochamber.

facemelter71
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Hands down is the prochamber.

BigBadStang
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
...that's the exact opposite of what i've always heard/read about how they perform...everything that says about the H is what i've heard about the X...

If the X was better down low, and not much help past 6,000 RPM, then I seriously doubt that X style crossovers would be used on Stock Cars (CRAPCAR) where once on the track, the only time the engines are turning less than 6,000 R's is on pace laps and pit stops. I would think that the magazine had their facts mixed up.

06hoss
07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
would i pick up more sound with a h-pipe w/ no cat vs h pipe with cats. right now i have 1 3/4" bbk lt's with bbk cat hipe & mac flowpaths. I'm looking to get a louder exhaust note and was thinking how much just a h pipe would add
I'm not sure how loud it would be on your car, but on the S197 GT, if you want to run with no cats you either have to run a quiet performance muffler (Magnaflow, Ford GTAs, etc or you have to run a second set of race muffs in the system). If 05+s just run an H with no cats and say, MAC muffs...it's extremely loud and obnoxious...they call it trumpeting. I'm pretty sure that Ken down at MD is running no cats on his blue 05 with MACs in the back and he had to add a second set of race muffs...standard procedure almost on those cars. I just paid for the cats because I wanted MACs...sounds perfect. So if you run with no cats and MACs it will be very loud, but probably not as loud as an 05+ with no cats...but it could be obnoxious so be ready for that.

93bossgt
07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
what's a prochamber? never heard of it.

BigBadStang
07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
what's a prochamber? never heard of it.
Here you go...
http://images.marketworks.com/hi/67/67435/l-t_pro_chamber_pc3393.jpg

93bossgt
07-18-2008, 05:56 AM
who makes this? that looks like it would flow better than an x or h pipe

BigBadStang
07-18-2008, 09:25 AM
who makes this? that looks like it would flow better than an x or h pipe

Made by MAC.

Mike
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I have a prochamber on my Cobra, it sounds decent. Better than it did with an H-pipe, thats for sure lol.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I had the Pro Chamber and absolutely hated how it sounded. Not only did it muffler the hell out of the sound but it just didn't have the sound i wanted. The car sounded the same with every muffler i put on it.

Here's a clip of my heap if anyone's curious.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/Mustang%20Pics%20and%20Videos/?action=view&current=July132008exhaustclipfun.flv