Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
How much $ to build a 9 sec. car?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How much $ to build a 9 sec. car??

Ohioace
06-05-2008, 06:49 AM
I was just wondering how much money it would take to build a legitimate low 9-sec. SAFE car . Safe as in chasis/cage etc. I'm still kinda young and thinking about starting a project that i can put money into over the next few yrs

93 coupe
06-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy one that's already done. :lol:

quik lx
06-05-2008, 07:44 AM
I've seen a few lately in the 17-30K range. Mostly depends on the desirablity of the car they started with, or quality of components installed. These days a complete rolling chassis can set you back 10K if done right.

cstreu1026
06-05-2008, 08:42 AM

I'll second that. Its always cheaper to buy someone else's project than it is to build your own.

mustangboy
06-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Chris is right find a nice quality done chassis and buy it. It is alot cheaper that way. You will still be looking at around 15-20k by the time it is all said and done.

Jeff88coupe
06-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I will never build a complete race car again...you can save a ton of $ by buying a roller or partial complete project car. Good place to look is on nmra's website or racingjunk.com.

92BlackStang
06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
should of bought the pinks car for 12,5

DeckerEnt
06-05-2008, 02:45 PM
That would have been one hellofa deal!! Fix some structural issues and you would be good to go!!
Keith

Kwik92GT
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Plenty of nice cars out there just waiting to be bought, find one you like in your price range and buy it. You'll save yourself a lot of money and a TON of frustration. Don't ask how I know. LOL

Holly
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Plenty of nice cars out there just waiting to be bought, find one you like in your price range and buy it. You'll save yourself a lot of money and a TON of frustration. Don't ask how I know. LOL

:agree:

I know too!

Katmandu
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy one that's already done. :lol:1000+

My buddy recently finished a 63 Falcon Sprint w/468ci last spring.

He spent around $15-20k, 7-10 years of Blood, Sweat and Tears and he's "only" in the low 10s.

His professionally built Big Block blew up (ate a valve/piston/cylinder) last year at Norwalk. He's only had it down the 1/4 only about (20) times or so. :( Turned to be a defective spring/retainer!! $20 part! :eek:

Now it sits in his garage awaiting the accumulation of ANOTHER $5Gs so he can slap another engine in it!

Here's pics of it when it was being built....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/513316

Just don't let your wife know what your doing with the Rent money!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WhiteT
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM

Could not be said any better!

This is unless you do not have a big budget to start with. My car did not become a 9 second car over night. It was built piece by piece over many years. I would add a part here and there as the budget allowed. I started with a goal and came up with a well thought out plan doing a ton of research, everything I bought brought me a step closer. For an example, if you have to build the trans, build it to withstand 9 second power....even if the car is running 13's at the time. You save a lot if you buy stuff once. In hind sight, it would have been less expensive to buy a 9 second car, but my build was spread over many years, so the pain wasn't too bad:tongue2:

Rick93coupe
06-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't ever invest money into a mustang. In fact, invest and mustang can't really go into the same sentence logically. If you need a project, go rescue a dog. If I didn't have a car to blow money on.... Well, I'd still be broke, but I'd have a lot of other cool shit.

WhiteT
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't ever invest money into a mustang. In fact, invest and mustang can't really go into the same sentence logically. If you need a project, go rescue a dog. If I didn't have a car to blow money on.... Well, I'd still be broke, but I'd have a lot of other cool shit.

Building a car to run fast is not an investment. It's a hobby. I don't think the op is building for an investment.

mustang8998
06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Building a car to run fast is not an investment. It's a hobby. I don't think the op is building for an investment.

And to add, he's talking about a long term project.

If it is well planned and researched, buying parts for the best prices and NOT taking all of his disposable income (over the long term), it's very doable.

I'll add this, aswell. Always plan on adding ~10 to 20%, to whatever you figure the final price will be. Could be more, but thats a start.

Good Luck!

ibstrokin
06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
And to add, he's talking about a long term project.

If it is well planned and researched, buying parts for the best prices and NOT taking all of his disposable income (over the long term), it's very doable.

I'll add this, aswell. Always plan on adding ~10 to 20%, to whatever you figure the final price will be. Could be more, but thats a start.

Good Luck!

The flip side to long term projects is that often times, they don't get finished. People lose interest, change their minds, have kids, divorce. Then they end up selling off their unfinished project at a loss.

WhiteT
06-07-2008, 01:00 AM
The flip side to long term projects is that often times, they don't get finished. People lose interest, change their minds, have kids, divorce. Then they end up selling off their unfinished project at a loss.

My project was running the whole time, which prevented me from losing interest. I like the idea of building an engine while you still have a running engine in the car. That way you can piece it together while the car still runs and drives. It works good for poor people like me.

Maximus
06-07-2008, 01:03 AM

Thats exactly how I bought my first Turbo Stang.:)

Yknot
06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Don't listen to a thing these guys say.....Do yourself a favor and just plug both ears.

Now...go do the project you want, the one that has always been calling you....don't worry about the price, the time line or the finish look....just start your build and have fun.

All these other guys did the same thing not so many years ago, why didn't they just go and buy a roller and save the money???Because they were broke>>>>just like everyone else. The only way they could have got a project rolling along was to do it over time and at the discretion of the bank account. Truth is...if everyone waited till they could afford one, they would never do it. And that would be the biggest same of all...It's projects that give us hope, they make the everyday shit easier to take. Projects are like therapy to me and many others, maybe it will get finished and then again maybe not, but as long as you have it to fall back on and enjoy...then life is good.

I am the sort that always has to have a Project going, I have built many cars, sand rails, and dragsters. I constantly look for items to modify on our street cars, and love to try new things. I do not have a ton of money, but I do have alot of determination. Yes...I have thrown away many pay cheeks...some would say, I would say i invested them wisely, but thats just me.
I have never made a dime on any project I sold...truth is you will be lucky to get back 0.50 one every dollar you spend, and thats for a very nice project, so be real and know the facts. All those neat shows on cable are just that, this area is not indigenous to the type of folks that have plenty of cash to build a high dollar car, bike or skateboard. Just not the right area. Also..projects and wifes are like oil and water....they just don't go together. There are a few lucky people like myself that do have the exception,....a wife that understands my need to create or build. But there has to be trust and openness, you can not constantly go over budget. You have to be able to separate your funds into 3 groups. First and foremost is the monthly bills, these are the everyday expenses that you have to pay to survive. Second..is the fund for vacations, emergencies and so forth, the whole family should not suffer for your project. Now we get to the third fund ...this is your project fund, and this is what you have to spend on parts, tools, equipment and so forth. You may time to time have to barrow from one fund for those killer deals that only come along once in a blue moon....but always pay them back. Unless you are wealthy, highly unlikely or you would not be here, know this project is going to take time, mainly because you only have the ability to make so much money at one time, and this is life. Understand the basic ground rules and everyone will be happier.

I have always been a project person, and I suppose as long as I live I will always have something going on. I enjoy the building, thinking, creative side of the project. I love fabrication and it's something I'm good at, I like the ideal that everything I build is completely unique to me and my project. I am also the type that gets sad when the project is over, truly I don't relish the day when it's over, instead it's a sad day for me, not a good one. I have always been like that and I suppose I always will, I hope not? As much as I like creating new things, i despise working on junk, or junk rigging things. I just have no tolerance for it, and most likely never will. I suppose this is why I never work on others projects??//??? I'm not a perfectionist, but I do know what is right and whats wrong. I build engines and work on heads in my spare time( on 4.6 & 5.4L Ford), and that works out for me, i can do my thing then turn it over to the customer and they can do as they wish with my work, I know I did my part right, so I can live with that. It's an out let, a project and I need them, Currently I am working on a 1933 Ford all steel car, It's powered by a Terminator backed up by a 4R70W Transmission. So far the frame is done and the engine and drive line is done, the body is undergoing modifications. I just got the roll cage built and we are currently sectioning the dash and building the center console. If it sounds interesting, you can follow along the build on proweldperformanceparts.com, then follow the Project Cobra'33 Link. I also have a Ford flathead engine I am rebuilding, and modifying with a twin turbo EFI Set-up, I call it Project Flathead and it's also on the site. At home I am getting together another completely new Terminator engine, and I am starting a Twin-Turbo Modular engine.
So, go ahead and start your new project.....maybe it will get finished but maybe not, and who cares. The whole point is to have fun, be creative and stay sane.

VictoryFab
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM

damn, i thought you where talking about me till you got to the "selling off" part.

ohioace, its really up to you, do you want something you can buy, do a "little" work to, and beat on it and have fun. or do you want to do a long "built it myself" project? you can find deals on whole cars and you can find deals on used or almost new parts for much less that new prices.

either way, good luck to ya

1991mustang
06-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I was just wondering how much money it would take to build a legitimate low 9-sec. SAFE car . Safe as in chasis/cage etc. I'm still kinda young and thinking about starting a project that i can put money into over the next few yrs

I have about 25k in mine and it is set up for 7sec.. I can tell you that a good 25.5 cage will run you any where from 8k to 12k depending on hat you have done, and who does it.. Keep in mind cheaper isn't always better.. The car will run low nines this year.. Plus if you want to stay in the low nines high 8 sec range you can run a mild steel 10 point cage.. That is cheaper to do..But keep in mind that you always want to go faster, and the faster you go the more money you will need.. So try to do it the first time and not try to cut corners if you knw where you want to be in a few years..

Maximus
06-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Don't listen to a thing these guys say.....Do yourself a favor and just plug both ears.

Now...go do the project you want, the one that has always been calling you....don't worry about the price, the time line or the finish look....just start your build and have fun.

All these other guys did the same thing not so many years ago, why didn't they just go and buy a roller and save the money???Because they were broke>>>>just like everyone else. The only way they could have got a project rolling along was to do it over time and at the discretion of the bank account. Truth is...if everyone waited till they could afford one, they would never do it. And that would be the biggest same of all...It's projects that give us hope, they make the everyday shit easier to take. Projects are like therapy to me and many others, maybe it will get finished and then again maybe not, but as long as you have it to fall back on and enjoy...then life is good.

I am the sort that always has to have a Project going, I have built many cars, sand rails, and dragsters. I constantly look for items to modify on our street cars, and love to try new things. I do not have a ton of money, but I do have alot of determination. Yes...I have thrown away many pay cheeks...some would say, I would say i invested them wisely, but thats just me.
I have never made a dime on any project I sold...truth is you will be lucky to get back 0.50 one every dollar you spend, and thats for a very nice project, so be real and know the facts. All those neat shows on cable are just that, this area is not indigenous to the type of folks that have plenty of cash to build a high dollar car, bike or skateboard. Just not the right area. Also..projects and wifes are like oil and water....they just don't go together. There are a few lucky people like myself that do have the exception,....a wife that understands my need to create or build. But there has to be trust and openness, you can not constantly go over budget. You have to be able to separate your funds into 3 groups. First and foremost is the monthly bills, these are the everyday expenses that you have to pay to survive. Second..is the fund for vacations, emergencies and so forth, the whole family should not suffer for your project. Now we get to the third fund ...this is your project fund, and this is what you have to spend on parts, tools, equipment and so forth. You may time to time have to barrow from one fund for those killer deals that only come along once in a blue moon....but always pay them back. Unless you are wealthy, highly unlikely or you would not be here, know this project is going to take time, mainly because you only have the ability to make so much money at one time, and this is life. Understand the basic ground rules and everyone will be happier.

I have always been a project person, and I suppose as long as I live I will always have something going on. I enjoy the building, thinking, creative side of the project. I love fabrication and it's something I'm good at, I like the ideal that everything I build is completely unique to me and my project. I am also the type that gets sad when the project is over, truly I don't relish the day when it's over, instead it's a sad day for me, not a good one. I have always been like that and I suppose I always will, I hope not? As much as I like creating new things, i despise working on junk, or junk rigging things. I just have no tolerance for it, and most likely never will. I suppose this is why I never work on others projects??//??? I'm not a perfectionist, but I do know what is right and whats wrong. I build engines and work on heads in my spare time( on 4.6 & 5.4L Ford), and that works out for me, i can do my thing then turn it over to the customer and they can do as they wish with my work, I know I did my part right, so I can live with that. It's an out let, a project and I need them, Currently I am working on a 1933 Ford all steel car, It's powered by a Terminator backed up by a 4R70W Transmission. So far the frame is done and the engine and drive line is done, the body is undergoing modifications. I just got the roll cage built and we are currently sectioning the dash and building the center console. If it sounds interesting, you can follow along the build on proweldperformanceparts.com, then follow the Project Cobra'33 Link. I also have a Ford flathead engine I am rebuilding, and modifying with a twin turbo EFI Set-up, I call it Project Flathead and it's also on the site. At home I am getting together another completely new Terminator engine, and I am starting a Twin-Turbo Modular engine.
So, go ahead and start your new project.....maybe it will get finished but maybe not, and who cares. The whole point is to have fun, be creative and stay sane.

Holy SHit!! Can I get a Clifs note version??:bigthumb

Timido
06-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I read that as dont buy a roller. Build the whole thing and spend a crap ton of money. I bought my car as a roller. I bought my engine from pan to carb. I bought my glide setup drom driveshaft to flywheel. I dont think I could have built my car from the ground up for less than $25k if I bought all new parts.

Kwik92GT
06-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Not everyone wants a project going on forever. For some, they actually do care if the project gets done and how much it ultimately costs. That's not you and that's fine. Everyone doesn't think like that. Why didn't I go and buy a roller or whatever back in the day? Because I was STUPID, not because I had a lack of funds. If it was due to just a lack of funds I wouldn't have wasted so much money (and time) on buying new parts, etc. I've done it both ways, very recently AND in the past, and I can tell you, for me, it was much better buying the roller, complete engine, or whatever someone else had given up on, and put my own touch on it. For dimes on the dollar I might add.

I do agree that the point is to have fun and staying sane. So in that regard I say go for whatever you want. Just make sure you take EVERYTHING into consideration. A safe 9 sec "project" can be quite an undertaking for anyone, let alone someone "kinda young". What I'd give to be that again. LOL

Ohioace
06-08-2008, 03:15 PM
sorry so late to respond ..........WENT TO ELDORA THIS WEEK!!!!!!!! ( for those that dont know , its the best dirt-track in the country ( tony stewart owns it ) ......as far as the project i already have an '87 that runs low 13's so time is not an issue........my biggest set-back is that i already found the body i want - '93 gt brand new paint blue/white strips brand new blk interior/blk dash with 5-lug 16" ( or 17" not sure ) cobra r's with only 20,000 miles on the chasis, but he wants $6,000.....is that too much or should i wait for him to come down a little? hes one of those guys that has a thousand projects going and has already got the supercharged 4.6 and tranny for the car but hasnt put it in,but once he starts a car and quits it and starts on another ( hes building to rat-rods now ) would i be better off trying to get the whole package deal or just the body....how much would/should that setup be worth? it is a very clean/low-mile motor........thanks for all the help guys.....with the new job i got being on the road alot money shouldnt be an issue as i dont have many bills.

Ohioace
06-08-2008, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Kwik92GT;383646]Not everyone wants a project going on forever. For some, they actually do care if the project gets done and how much it ultimately costs. That's not you and that's fine. Everyone doesn't think like that. Why didn't I go and buy a roller or whatever back in the day? Because I was STUPID, not because I had a lack of funds. If it was due to just a lack of funds I wouldn't have wasted so much money (and time) on buying new parts, etc. I've done it both ways, very recently AND in the past, and I can tell you, for me, it was much better buying the roller, complete engine, or whatever someone else had given up on, and put my own touch on it. For dimes on the dollar I might add.

I do agree that the point is to have fun and staying sane. So in that regard I say go for whatever you want. Just make sure you take EVERYTHING into consideration. A safe 9 sec "project" can be quite an undertaking for anyone, let alone someone "kinda young". What I'd give to be that again. LOL[

im 27 and have already owned 5 mustangs.......and to tell you the truth i have pretty much gotten the recklessness out of my system, i just broke the crank in my car about 3 months ago and finally put the finishing touches on it today ( actually i'm minus a serpentine belt, but i just had it started so..... ) i still wont get to drive it until next weekend as i just got back from the races and am going back to work tomm...........so i believe i am ready to take the next step....maybe i'll just set my sights for the 11 sec range and play it safe

mustangboy
06-08-2008, 05:39 PM
$6k in my opinion is too much unless it has a nice cage and all the front tubular supsension as well as a good rear suspension and built rearend. If the suspension is stock that is way too much. BTW if you are only running 13's it would be best to shoot for 11's and get use to that and then go for 9's. It is a real big jump to go from 13's to 9's.