Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dad in the hospital [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dad in the hospital

05yellowgt
05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
My dad went into the hospital yesterday after having heart attack symptoms over the weekend (typical stubborn guy put it off as long as he could). They are injecting die into his system this afternoon to look for blockage and doing a stint, or depending on the severity bypass surgery. More than likely only a stint but you never know with these things. Some of you know my dad and he is a stubborn bastard so I am sure he will be just fine. Please keep him in your prayers.

Flaming87lx
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
What's his name, I will pray for him. Good luck to you and your family!

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I will be praying, I know how stressful that is. I hope all turns out well.

05yellowgt
05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
His name is Ray Stewart. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

NXcoupe
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
He's a great guy, hope he makes a speedy recovery!

BigBadStang
05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
He, and your family are in our prayers. Hope all goes well for your father.

Holly
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm glad he finally went to the hospital. Believe me, I know all about stubborn guys that don't want to go, been there, done that.

I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers John. Keep us posted.

Kelly Pelrine
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Hope he is ok John!

347sc
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I have been there too. Hope for a quick recovery for your father.

kennebellcobra
05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your dad

89notch
05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I hope everything works out

Timido
05-28-2008, 05:30 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family.

cobrajoe
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
wish him well and a speedy recovery! :angel:

graysonracin
05-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Hope everything works out ok!

Katmandu
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
I wish him and your family the best in this difficult time. :angel:

05yellowgt
05-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I have some good updates. They only found one blockage and it was the main artery going to the heart. It was 90-95% blocked and they used a balloon stint to open it back up. The docs said they couldn't identify any damage to the heart itself. He should get out tomorrow. I took most of the day off of work and spent it at the hospital. Thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes.

BIGRED Z
05-28-2008, 11:21 PM
It's a stent. With an "e". He will be on blood thinners forever after its placement. They will protect him against his body forming platelet aggregation around the stent. Most likely it will be plavix, sometimes coumadin if he has other heart issues like arrythmias such as A fib. (Atrial fibrillation).

Let him know, as I am sure his doctors will tell him too, that he should closely monitor any bleeding. Like from the gums, nose, rectum, gi tract, and to avoid contact sports that would merely bruise most of us, but could cause hemmorhage in those on blood thinners. Don't throw any more play punches his way if that's a habit! ;)

He will go in as an outpatient, regularly, to get his blood drawn to check his status. He will likely be facing dietary and lifestyle changes. Support him in anyway you can. Including encouraging your mom to cook more heart healthy meals, exercise, etc.

If he does indeed need a bypass or CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) he will definately be on a reduced sodium and fat/cholesterol diet. This can be a MAJOR lifestyle change. Learn what you can and encourage it always. If you need more info or resources, I can help. PM me.

Best of luck to your Dad.

Katmandu
05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
He will go in as an outpatient, regularly, to get his blood drawn to check his status. Best of luck to your Dad.Great news Paul! :bigthumb

Yup. Lori is spot-on.

The blood work he'll get is for a Pro-Time (PT) with an INR (International Normalized Ratio). They'll regulate the amount of Coumadin he takes based on the INR #.

Also, have your dad ask his Doc what his Troponin, CK and CK-MB levels were since his MI. Those are Cardiac enzymes that measure heart tissue damage specifically. Most likely they weren't to severe in his case.

I'm a Medical Technologist by trade. :cool2:

Glad your Pops is gonna be ok. Now get him better and back out working on your Stang!! :lol:

05yellowgt
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the correction on the spelling lol. He's going to have to give up smoking again that is for sure. He quit about 9 years ago since smoking from the age of 13-49. He only started back up after being in the middle of a bad divorce. Cutting back on his sodium intake will be hard for him as well. He normally has salt with a side of hamburger on a bun.

BIGRED Z
05-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Smoking cessastion is of utmost importance. It directly affects the elasticity of the vessels, veins, and arteries needed for proper blood flow. The fact that he has stent placements, and possible bypass surgery...means he already has obstructed blood flow to the heart.

Think of it in car terms. Imagine your engine as the heart. The lines in your car, over time, collect buildup, oil sludge, grime, etc. on the inside of those lines. Like cholesterol buildup in the veins/arteries.

Age wears on your wires, although more on the outside. Like cold will effect the elasticity of those lines. Makes them stiff and unwielding. Smoking does this to your vessel walls. It makes them less able to expand and contract to allow blood flow as necessary. Like if you go for a jog (or in your car you punch it) the lines need to expand to accomodate the extra needed power for your car, or in your body, allow for extra blood flow and oxygen to go to your muscles and organs.

So in effect, smoking makes those "lines" (veins, arteries) act like cold plastic lines in your car. They are less flexible, and more succeptible to breakage. This of course will cause backflow, buildup and sludge in the engine. (Or heart).

Everyone knows thAT THE MORE PLIABLE YOUR LINES ARE IN YOUR CAR, THE BETTER needed fluid flows within the system. The same goes for the body.

mach_u
05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
I wish him all the best! My dad and I are very close and with a history of heat disease in our family I worry about him a lot. Glad to hear there is a good recovery path for him!

MrsAPE
05-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Glad things turned out better than worse!! I'll keep him in my prayers!

Black Horse
05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Everyone knows thAT THE MORE PLIABLE YOUR LINES ARE IN YOUR CAR, THE BETTER needed fluid flows within the system. The same goes for the body.

Ah...just as long as it isn't your brake lines ;) :lol::angel:

Seriously, glad your Dad is doing well and they have found the problem. Years ago that prognosis would have everyone worried, now days its like getting your oil changed.

Life style changes are definately in the mix for him, and I would recommend taking a good hard look at your own life stye as heart disease follows bloodlines. Better to be preventative than having your kids go through the same thing with you in the future.

Holly
05-29-2008, 09:31 AM
That's great news John! I'm sure you are relieved.

05yellowgt
05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Just got the word that he is coming home this afternoon after his paperwork is all finished. He works at the GM Truck and Bus Plant in Moraine and he is scheduled to go back to work now that the American Axle strike is over on Monday. The only restriction he is on is not lifting more than 10lbs will next Wed. He also had the talk about quitting smoking. Went ok but my Dad is convinced he can't quit till he has the last two court dates with my mom to deal with an income tax dispute stemming from their divorce. I just hope they get it over with and he really does quit.

BigBadStang
05-29-2008, 12:37 PM
That's GREAT news!
Glad to hear he is going to be able to come home so soon!

69Cobra
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Good news glad to hear things are looking up. Two years ago my dad spent 9 weeks in the hospital from a staff infection and we almost lost him over that. It will definately make you think twice about things.