Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
05 thru 08 exhaust ideas [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 05 thru 08 exhaust ideas

cobrajoe
05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
What's everyone running? Pypes has this mid muffler set up I've been looking at. Thought about adding elec. cut outs to the system also, you know for the ricers, I mean track time.:lol:

05yellowgt
05-20-2008, 10:38 AM
What setup do you have now? Are you looking at keeping the stock manifolds? I would not recommend spending the money on shorties since they gain literally ZERO power. Either leave them stock or get longtubes.

I've got Mac 1 3/4" longtubes (going FI soon otherwise I would have went with 1 5/8") Mac Off Road Prochamber, and Bassani Axlebacks. The car has a deep tone at idle but not anything too loud. Exhaust is nice and civil till you press the loud pedal then all heck breaks loose. I have next to zero drone.

My previous setup was a bassani x-pipe with Bassani Axle backs and stock manifolds. I had the x-pipe with the Bassani hi-flow cats and off road legs so I could switch back and forth. There was a bit of drone with the cats in place and it had that typical x-pipe cackle from 2200-3000rpm on decel. I liked it but that depends a lot on your tastes. It was quite a bit louder than stock and I loved it, then I took the cats out. It became a whole new animal after that. Very in your face and most of the drone that was left was all but gone. I had to watch getting on it about 2000rpm around cops but I again still loved the sound.

I guess the best thing would be to ask what kind of sound you are looking for and then try to give suggestions based on what I have heard from different setups.

firestang70
05-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I have the pypes O/R H, with FRRP Stingers aka Borlas. My car has a very deep idle and absolutely screams at WOT. It has an old school tone to it.

05yellowgt
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I have the pypes O/R H, with FRRP Stingers aka Borlas. My car has a very deep idle and absolutely screams at WOT. It has an old school tone to it.
Your cars is one of my other favorites when it comes to S197 exhaust notes.:bigthumb

holeshot
05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I am running a Pypes O/R H and 40 series Flowmasters. You can buy the Flowmaster american thunder axleback kit that is designed for our cars, but the 40 series sound better and are much deeper than the Flowmaster AT's.

If you do run flows, dont get an x-pipe or prochamber. For some reason on the S197's it is really raspy and sounds bad in my opinion. I ran a o/r prochamber with the stock mufflers and it sounded pretty good. I think its the 3 valve head design and the fact that the mufflers are way out back.

Also, if you do run a setup without cats, beware of the trumpety sound it makes at 2500 rpms under part throttle. Its annoying as hell.

craigels
05-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Mom's car has a cheapy setup... but gets a lot of positive comments! Stock manifolds, Jeg's offroad x pipe and Flowmaster Delta 40s.

Craig

beefcake
05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
i'll be honest with you,

on my 06, i loved the sound of just an offroad upr pipe, cheap and i think it makes the car sound like it's a 5.0 on flowmasters,

very raspy, but i like raspy