Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anyone a chemistry geek? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a chemistry geek?

Gene
05-13-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm working on a project and need a couple of tech questions answered. PM me.

Thanks!!!

PaulFiveOh
05-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Me & K Sob know our way around chemistry.
K Sob especially regarding stoichiometrics, and me regarding organic chem.

Gene
05-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Me & K Sob know our way around chemistry.
K Sob especially regarding stoichiometrics, and me regarding organic chem.

Who is K Sob?

I need someone who does this for a living, not just took a few classes in college (or for that matter professes to be an expert on damn near everything posted on this board).

PaulFiveOh
05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Who is K Sob?

I need someone who does this for a living, not just took a few classes in college (or for that matter professes to be an expert on damn near everything posted on this board).

Lol. K, Gene.
I said I was knowledgeable with organic chem. I didn't profess my expertise, you assumed it....

Gene
05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Lol. K, Gene.
I said I was knowledgeable with organic chem. I didn't profess my expertise, you assumed it....

It's a reasonable assumption, based on just about every post you've ever made.

DeckerEnt
05-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Just spit it out. What is the question?
Keith

Gene
05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Just spit it out. What is the question?
Keith

I'm working on a project and need some questions answered about the chemical composition of the materials that go into Instant Cold Ice Packs (http://www.roshgo.com/store/00322.html) and similar products, the manufacturing of the chemicals and if there is any way to regulate the temperature to possibly extend the lifespan of the product from 20-30 minutes to 1-1.5 hours.

PaulFiveOh
05-14-2008, 01:03 AM
You could regulate reaction time by simply limiting the exposure of the water upon the amoinum nitrate.
I can not think of a way to regulate tempature as that reaction is endothermic, ie: it sucks heat out of the air.

As far as production, this should get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate

Mista Bone
05-14-2008, 02:57 AM
woah......WTF you doing Gene?????

Bomb, Meth, or making N2O?

Paul is a smart asshat :) (its a compliment!)

MsBlkramair
05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
I know everything about formaldehyde! haha

Blackpony
05-14-2008, 06:52 AM
I have a chemistry background. What chemicals are you referring to. What the question. My profession is in chemical coatings and OEM finishes and coil coating. HOwever dont call me a geek. lol

DeckerEnt
05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Way over my head. LOL
Keith

plattner01
05-14-2008, 11:26 AM
water, malt,barley,hops,yeast mix them together and you get beer.
thats all the chemistry i know

Kevin Doe
05-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I am K-Sob. I know nothing of chemistry. I have no idea what Paul is talking about. I literally took one chem class in college, and that was 8 years ago. I know physics Paul, not chemistry. I'm a mechanical engineer, not a chemist. lol

cstreu1026
05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
My job title is chemist but I only play the part from my desk.

Jeff88coupe
05-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Well...I have a BA degree in chemistry...but I have forgotten most of it since I don't use to much of it with my job. I'm sure there is a way to slow down the reaction (increase the product usage time)...would take some research and knowing exactly what is used in the product. I'm sure changing the chemical concentrations in the solution or adding/removing a possible catalist would affect the speed of the reaction.

Badfbdy
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Don't those insta packs have some nitrate based chemical in them? If so...

Black Horse
05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
If you want to slow down the reaction your choices would either be to control the "feed" of the products reacting or add some sort of a binding shield that slows the ability of the 2 products to react (buffering).

Good luck!

Mista Bone
05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Don't those insta packs have some nitrate based chemical in them? If so...

yes, it's also used to make bombs :)

Info is in the Wiki link Paul provided.

Gene
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I think I may have my question answered.

I'll be giving you a call in the next couple of days, Dave...you may have an interest in what I'm working on.

And no, it's not meth or a bomb. It's motorsport-related.

Black Horse
05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I think I may have my question answered.

I'll be giving you a call in the next couple of days, Dave...you may have an interest in what I'm working on.

And no, it's not meth or a bomb. It's motorsport-related.

So when can I expect to be able to keep myself cool the ENTIRE race?