Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Wireless Modems [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Modems

mustang8998
05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I have the desire, to add a wireless to my existing cable set-up. Is it as simple as buying a wireless modem and putting in-line, with my current connection? How does it affect speed, if two users are on line, at the same time? Or, am I better off adding the extra cable router?

Is it OK, to just shoot Maggie's son (who I can't pry off the computor), without going to prison? :lol:

Blackout
05-09-2008, 10:48 PM
All depends on the wirless router you buy and the wireless card in your computer or laptop. Most wireless cards you buy for your computer and built into your laptops are G band signals. The newest are N, but you have to have a card that will accept that signal. I run a complete wireless network and love it because I can go anywhere in my house and get on the internet. Make sure you secure your network because you could get some joker that will use your service.

tcorns
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
i have a lynksys setup in my house. the closet in my office has a cable outlet and the router is in there out of the way. my laptop along with my desktop are both wireless and my wife and i can be on at the same time with no issues. i also have my printer hooked up to my router so that i can use it to print from the laptop. you will also need to keep it secure. mine is left open but then do to the limited range and the fact that i live a good bit away from my neighbors i am not to worried about it.

trev

mach_u
05-10-2008, 10:11 AM
It depends if you cable company is already providing you with a router/modem or just a modem. If they are already providing you with a router/modem then you can simply add a wireless access point like the Linksys WAP54G. If it's just a modem (which I wouldn't recommend plugging directly into your PC anyway...) then you need a router which you can pick up a Linksys WRT54G - which I believe Circuit City has on sale right now for $39.99 or less. Insert the disk that comes with either and run through the setup as it will secure the wireless connection for you, which you definitely want to do.

mustang8998
05-10-2008, 12:51 PM
So, AJ, I have TWC Roadrunner. The cable connects to a box, which I connect my computer and my phone to. Is that a router/modem?

mach_u
05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
So, AJ, I have TWC Roadrunner. The cable connects to a box, which I connect my computer and my phone to. Is that a router/modem?
The box that you connect to is your router. Simply replace with that with the Linksys WRT54G :bigthumb

plattner01
05-10-2008, 03:13 PM
dont you have to call the cable company and give them mac address for it to work , once you hook up the new linksys or something like that?

mustang8998
05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
The box that you connect to is your router. Simply replace with that with the Linksys WRT54G :bigthumb

So I would need that and two wireless cards, right?

I looked at the WRT54G online and it doesn't say anything about the phone line.

mach_u
05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
So I would need that and two wireless cards, right?

I looked at the WRT54G online and it doesn't say anything about the phone line.
My bad, missed the part about you have VoIP. In that case what you want is the WAP54G and just plug it in to one of the available ports on your current router. If there is only 1 port for your computer available on their router, pick up a cheap 10/100 4 or 5 port switch like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7650357&st=Switch&type=product&id=1134699430298. Plug their router into that, your PC and the WAP54G.

PaulFiveOh
05-10-2008, 07:35 PM
AJ, have you had a seemingly high failure rate of 54g's?

I have had about 5 go bad in about 2 years. You?

HRSEPWR
05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
My bad, missed the part about you have VoIP. In that case what you want is the WAP54G and just plug it in to one of the available ports on your current router. If there is only 1 port for your computer available on their router, pick up a cheap 10/100 4 or 5 port switch like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7650357&st=Switch&type=product&id=1134699430298. Plug their router into that, your PC and the WAP54G.

Why would you wanna buy a WAP54G and a 4-port hub??? Thats more expensive than it needs to be... I have zoomtown but it is similar set-up as TWC roadrunner, there is only one RJ-45 connector on supplied router to go to the computer for internet... All you you need is WRT54G as this has a 4-port hub built in to it and it's a wireless router, this is what I have and it works great, you only buy one device and it costs $50... Here is the link for what you need:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741365&productCategoryId=abcat0503002&type=product&tab=1&id=1202648529130#productdetail
:bigthumb

mach_u
05-10-2008, 11:29 PM
AJ, have you had a seemingly high failure rate of 54g's?

I have had about 5 go bad in about 2 years. You?
The last year and half have produced some super solid models. They had a year or so before that where there was a pretty high failure rate but they have been pretty darn solid since then. Honestly though, hands down my favorite router right now is the Cisco 800 series. Rock solid, fast VPN, overall a great setup BUT the price tag scares of the average joe schmoe consumer. Not every wants to pay $300+ for a router. Money well spent IMO though. :bigthumb

Why would you wanna buy a WAP54G and a 4-port hub??? Thats more expensive than it needs to be... I have zoomtown but it is similar set-up as TWC roadrunner, there is only one RJ-45 connector on supplied router to go to the computer for internet... All you you need is WRT54G as this has a 4-port hub built in to it and it's a wireless router, this is what I have and it works great, you only buy one device and it costs $50... Here is the link for what you need:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741365&productCategoryId=abcat0503002&type=product&tab=1&id=1202648529130#productdetail
:bigthumb
Well, it depends if there is already a NAT device present (ie a router from the cable company) where NAT can't be disabled then you really don't want to double NAT. i.e a router with a public IP with NAT enabled to run a 192.168.0.0 subnet, plugged into another nat device(Linksys WRT54G) say running 192.168.1.1 could bring a world of issues. You are better to tap into the existing system and setup a wireless access point. Just my two cents... ;)