PDA

View Full Version : Need to ship a car

Goober
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
From Philly to Lima. Does anyone have any good reviews/ recomendations of some transport companies?

beefcake
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
if you want direct transport, it will cost you more ,but the service is better,

you can try someone like d.a.s. auto shippers, but you could be weeks getting your car, but it will be cheaper

i know a local guy that does a great job, but it's going to cost more cuz he is direct

Pyro50
04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
We used D.A.S. to ship James' Notch here from Florida. I think it was like $455 from Jacksonville, Fl to Cincinnati. It did take a while to get it. Maybe 3weeks or so, but the receiving shop washed and cleaned the car and had it ready for us.

Carl
04-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow, crazy that you brought this up...haha...I was just looking at shipping the wife's car from NC to ID when we move. It probably cost less than the gas money to drive it.

thecollector
04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I've dealt with reliable carriers. Probably pricey but they are enclosed and their drivers treat it as if it was theirs.

92BlackStang
04-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Thats why you get AAA , Just had a roller towed to my house, I'm not sure if you can get them to tow it home from there or not but i do not see a reason why they shouldnt..

thecollector
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Basic AAA coverage allows for 4 services per year, with one of those services being a tow for up to 5 miles. After 5 miles the AAA's tab ends then you must negotiate a rate with the wrecker company or pay their standard mileage rate. Most wrecker companies will help you out with prorating long distances however you will be better off shipping it from a money standpoint. You could find a friend with a truck and trailer as well. Premium triple AAA member ships used to allow for a tow up to 200 miles but I haven't seen such a membership in over 3 years and I think they may have stopped offering them. Good luck.

quik lx
04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I used Allied to ship a 1970 Dodge Super Bee from Fresno CA to Dayton OH. Only cost about 950 bux.

Rabnud
04-24-2008, 01:23 PM
FWIW, I used DAS to ship my cobra from Cali to here...
the tardo came out and said my cobra sat too low, and I tried telling him that it was where it's parked and that I was WELL within the limits. I even offered to park it in the drive way or down the road, and he still refused it. that's a $150 fee since they didn't pick it up.
I was in a time crunch and couldn't wait for another carrier to have an opening. The tracking service isn't that great, and the car got here 2 days earlier than they said, but they gave me such a hassle when I told them I wanted it.
When I finally recieved it, they had driven it through a dirty parking lot... there was dried dirt all over the rims/wheels and the side skirts. The deliveryman said they had washed it... Despite my request that they no do that... Looked like they just splashed water on it.
I did an inspection and found a long smear in the clearcoat. The guy told me to call the 800 number on the forum and they would take care of it. Which, they wouldn't because they blamed the indepentant carrier and then avoided my questions as to what the insurance fee I paid was good for.

I say, if it's a car you really care for... f**k DAS and pay the extra few hundred for a better shipper. If it's a 1980 audi... then DAS would be merely ok to consider.

CobraDan
04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
This is some good advice. The extra money is well worth not having to repair the damage just one transport dufus can do to your car. The high volume transporters move the cars around too much and give way too many opportunities to cause damage. I cringe every time I need to move my Mach 1, which I'm about to do yet again.

Dan

FWIW, I used DAS to ship my cobra from Cali to here...
the tardo came out and said my cobra sat too low, and I tried telling him that it was where it's parked and that I was WELL within the limits. I even offered to park it in the drive way or down the road, and he still refused it. that's a $150 fee since they didn't pick it up.
I was in a time crunch and couldn't wait for another carrier to have an opening. The tracking service isn't that great, and the car got here 2 days earlier than they said, but they gave me such a hassle when I told them I wanted it.
When I finally recieved it, they had driven it through a dirty parking lot... there was dried dirt all over the rims/wheels and the side skirts. The deliveryman said they had washed it... Despite my request that they no do that... Looked like they just splashed water on it.
I did an inspection and found a long smear in the clearcoat. The guy told me to call the 800 number on the forum and they would take care of it. Which, they wouldn't because they blamed the indepentant carrier and then avoided my questions as to what the insurance fee I paid was good for.

I say, if it's a car you really care for... f**k DAS and pay the extra few hundred for a better shipper. If it's a 1980 audi... then DAS would be merely ok to consider.