Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
blown motor after 100 miles, need advice [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : blown motor after 100 miles, need advice

auto alchemist
04-13-2008, 04:22 AM
ok get ready cause this may get long and have bad grammar because im really mad!!!

and im sorry that its about an import car but i need advice, becuase i paid 2200 bucks for this engine swap and i cant just take the hit in the pocket.

i have a 92 nissan 240sx, well ive been building this car to be a track car because ive been wanting to get into road course type racing like what some of my friends do. well my old stock motor was getting a little worn out and i figured i was ready for more power anyways, so i start searching for an SR20DET (2.0 dohc turbo motor that came in my car in japan) and i find a guy in columbus that has one for a decent price, told me the motor had 40k miles on it and ran really good when it was in his car. so i buy it, and buy the crap load of parts i need to put that motor in my car, and spend alot of time doing this swap because i want it done right. but durring the swap i start noticing things, like all the vacuum lines are cut, the way the motors normally come when they have been freshly imported and not installed in a car yet, and theres parts on the motor that need to be modified in order for the motor to even work in the US version of the car that havent been modified yet. so i start thinking that maybe the guy never had the motor in his car.

well i get the motor running and it seems to be running ok, so i start driving it around to make sure everything is in good working order, and since i didnt have my BOV welded on yet i was being really easy on it and trying to stay out of boost. 100 miles later the motor starts making a rattling noise, which at first i thought maybe i broke a timing chain tensioner, so i talked to the guy online and told him about the noise, and he automaticly started getting defensive about it, when all i was trying to do is ask him if the chain had been replaced or not, and then he changed his story completely from what he had said before, now he claims the motor only has 30k and that he got it from a personal friend, when before he said he had got it from an importer. after investigating the noise further, me and the owner of the shop i was working on the car at determine its a rod knock. and yes everything in the swap was done right, and the motor had good oil pressure and all that too.

so i contacted the guy that sold me the motor, because before i bought the motor i had him sign a receipt saying that he garuantees that there are no major mechanicle issues, and he says he wont give me my money back. well the way i see it, it should not have a rod knock after 100 miles of easy driving unless the motor was junk when i got it, so since i have the receipt im thinking im going to have to take him to court.

what do you guys think? am i in the right or the wrong here? do you think i could actually get my money back in court since he signed the reciept?

i only own 2 but im getting really tired of these imported peices of japanese crap

Katmandu
04-13-2008, 05:45 AM
i only own 2 but im getting really tired of these imported peices of japanese crapShould of stuck with a 5.0 Mustang. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the dude lied his ass off to you.

I would take him to small claims court.

Going to be very difficult to prove the mechanical condition of a used engine though.

Your written agreement better be very detailed and explicite.

Let us know how it goes.

firestang70
04-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Tell Judge Judy we said hello. Document everything including the mechanic verifying that it was a rod knock.

cstreu1026
04-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Hopefully you saved all the emails and such as proof of him changing his story.

Sharad
04-13-2008, 09:50 AM
yep. contact a lawyer. have the lawyer write the guy a letter. if that still doesn't work, go to court.

auto alchemist
04-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Hopefully you saved all the emails and such as proof of him changing his story.

i did, i saved every IM conversation ive had with him, and i have the original for sale ad to prove that he keeps changing his story.

i will have the guy that owns the shop that the car is at make a statement that it is a rod knock, and i know 2 other guys that own shops so im going to have them listen to it and give me a statement to take to court also.

and i was thinking about making a video of the car running so i can prove its making noise. and when i pull the oil pan i will take pictures of the metal shavings, because if theres a bearing out of it there will be shavings in the pan.

cstreu1026
04-13-2008, 01:27 PM
You should be under the amount for small claims court so the worst case scenario is that you loose and are out court costs. I don't think that you generally need a lawyer for small claims but I could be wrong.

Sharad
04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
well, I had a similar situation recently and had a lawyer help me with a letter. They coughed up the dough before we even went to court!

DeckerEnt
04-13-2008, 02:20 PM
A lawyer letter head makes an impact. It lets the guy know you are serious. I would try that first. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Keith

auto alchemist
04-13-2008, 02:29 PM
well see the only bad thing about using a lawyer is they are not cheap bye any means, so i was hoping to handle this myself so i actually get the money i paid for the motor and not have to give half of it to a lawyer.

and right now money is an issue, because i am a bricklayer right now, which means because of the cold weather and rain and all that i havent actually had a job since december, now i should be getting more work soon, but i go by the saying " hope for the best but prepare for the worst" so ive been trying to save as much money as i can, and if i pay a lawyer and then dont get my money back it would put a hurting on me.

from what ive found out, if your trying to get 3000 or more its required you have a lawyer, if its under that you dont have to have one, idk though, i might check around and find out what it would cost just to do the letter thing, and what chance i would have of getting lawyer fees out of him too if it did go to court.

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 02:34 PM
You are NEVER required to get a lawyer.

Do your homework and some research, and go after him in Small Claims (Where you don't use lawyers)

And....You will hardly ever recover legal fees. Regardless of how negligent the other party was.

Gene
04-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Did it run fine when you fired it up?

You can lawyer up all you want, but you admit yourself that you bought the car for "road course type racing". It's not going to be hard for him to claim that the car broke through misuse (i.e. racing), bad tuning, poor installation, whatever.

A turbocharged car in a highly modified car (which is what the courts would consider a car with an engine that did not come in it originally). It may be worth going to small claims court, but 1. good luck on getting a judgment in your favor if the guy is smart, and 2. if you win, don't actually expect to ever see any money.

Just FYI.

auto alchemist
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
well the shop owner has alot of years of experience, and he was there when i was doing the swap to see everything i was doing, and i didnt even get to take the car to any events, its started knocking while i was driving it around just to make sure everything was in good working order.

Ryan218
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
well number 1 how much did you pay for the motor from him? he lied to you. it happens and it sucks that he wasent honest. there is really not much i think you can do. pull it back out rebuild it and put it back in.

auto alchemist
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
i paid 2,200 for it.

and on another forum he just admitted that he had all kinds of aftermarket parts on it, but then put the stock stuff back on before he sold it to me, he didnt tell me any of that before i bought the motor.

copied and pasted from another site:

"I was running my old ported t25 set with jic mani and greddy elbow, and taka lines, if you could not tell by the oem crushwashers, and lines I had to put back on, I prolly left wires runing my wideband also.

and if you could tell by taking off the oil pan the gasket is new, because I was using a greddyoil pan.
the oil panlooked good, did you double check the for dents and check the pickup?

You could of prolly seen that the fly wheel bolts where arp , that I used on my twindisk set up

i threw on the old t25 set up, 2 days before I took the motor the way they come to the states.

if you could tell its an Rb filter.

If your such an sr person you could tell from the wiring I did not use the stock ecu.

I ran this car with a wideband, on a standalone, I do not drift nor do I rag on my cars, I ran the car on stock boost, but I did have an evc on the car I think I left an hks silanoid on the car, because I can not find it, this engine ran perfect for me."

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
He can't spell worth a shit