PDA

View Full Version : Are there any nurses in here? I'm looking into going to school.

92StangMan
03-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I received my undergrad last May at Marshall University with a degree in Excercise Physiology and seriously looked into grad school. Two months later I landed a job being a personal trainer and grad school was basically put on the back burner -- now I want to look into it and hopefully begin around January of next year.

What are some good schools to go to other than NKU and UC? My main concern is being able to afford tuition and even looked into Columbus State Community College. Is CSCC a reputable school? Certain schools offer an accelerated program where if you already have your undergrad, you do not have to take the classes that do not pertain to nursing. This would be a big plus.

Thanks

jdubya
03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Where do you live? My wife has a Bachelors in Nursing and teaches Nursing clinicals for Rets in Centerville. They have an accelerated program. You need to be an LPN before you can get in the Nursing program. The LPN course is around under 12 months and the RN course is another 16. Check out their website.

92StangMan
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
What is Rets in Centerville? I live in Burlington/Florence, KY.

'92Stang
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Rets is a tech school around Dayton, Oh.

ffmueller81
03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I know two people going through nursing right now. One is at Christ and the other at Good Sam. Both programs are probably up there for the best in the city if not the best. Both people went to undergrad previously and have only been taking nursing classes since their start in this program.

Normally the hospital will pay for the schooling as well, if you choose to stay with that hospital for a certain number of years following completion.

92StangMan
03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
How did they start working with the hospital to begin with? Do the hospitals take in applicants to decide who they want to put through and then hire them afterwards? How does that work?

Sharad
03-30-2008, 08:55 PM
my wife got her RN BSN at WSU in Fairborn. She makes more than twice what I make (and I've got a decent job!)

When you do your clinicals, you hook up with the hospitals. If they like you, you'll have a job when you get out. What am I talking about...? Nurses will ALWAYS have a job. They are in demand!

MsBlkramair
03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Good Sam is good at hiring students to work while they go to school there. I just left Good Sam last fall.........it is a hard school and very expensive........but one of the best in the state. Cincy State is decent, but the wait for clincials is 2 years AFTER you get through your schooling. Wanna wait that long? Good Sam is a long wait too (that's what they tell you). But so many are weeded out by the 400 classes, that they get openings rather quickly.

I would like more info for that LPN to RN school in Centerville. Hubby needs to get into school for his RN now. PM me the info!

StangGirlRN
03-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi there,
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I want to make sure you have the information you need to decide where you want to be as a nurse. I've been a nurse for 21 years and it's a wonderful profession. I received my diploma from Good Sam in Cincinnati and then my BSN from the College of Mt. St. Joe in Delhi. I just got my MBA from University of Phoenix. I am a clinical manager in the emergency department at Cincinnati Children's, and am mostly responsible for hiring new graduate nurses into the department. By the way, new RNs at Children's are currently starting at $21.50 an hour.
Having said all of that, let me describe the different ways that someone can become an RN. Keep in mind that in the end, most places pay new RNs the same no matter what type of degree you have. The ADN degree program is 2 years long, and places like Cincinnati State and other technical schools offer this degree. The diploma takes 3 years, and although I think you get the most clinical experience with a diploma, you don't have a degree when you're finished. The BSN program takes four years, and schools like UC, Good Sam, and Christ all offer this type of degree program.
I would not recommend becoming an LPN first, (just personal opinion, but LPNs can't find hospital jobs as easily, don't make as much money, and often work in nursing homes). I looked at LPN programs before I decided to be an RN, and found that it's worth the few extra months to bypass being an LPN and going straight to RN. Once you're an RN, the possibilites are endless!
When I look at new graduates to hire, I pay close attention to the school that they attended. I don't hire only BSN nurses, but if a new nurse comes from a school that is less than stellar, they have to be exceptionally good with a lot of past experience in some type of health care job. I would recommend a program that has been around for awhile and has a good reputation. In the Cincinnati area, I would recommend UC, Good Sam, Christ, or a school like that. I do hire students from Cincinnati State, but I prefer the others that I listed, and due to the number of new grad applicants that I receive I can be a little picky.
Good luck choosing! Most hospitals hire nursing students to work as patient care assistants while they're in school, so you can get some medical experience while you're in school if you choose to. PM me if you have any other questions I can try to answer for you.

mustangboy
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
My wife works at Christ so if you would like me to find out who you need to contact about their program I can get you that info.

Black92LX
03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Eastern Kentucky University has an accelerated program.
If you have an undergrad you can get your RN in 18 months.
My fiance did that program and had a job instantly upon graduation.

Jeepman1991
03-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Wifey is a rn at Good Sam, mother baby unit.

God I hated when she was in school, so hard.

topazz
04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey, not sure if you've made a decision or not...I'm currently in the accelerated MSN program at UC. This program is for those of us with a BA/BS already (I graduated in June with my Psyc degree and went this route). I will be finished with my pre-reqs (A&P I-III, Microbiology, Pathophysiology, etc...stuff that I never had to look at in Psyc) at the end of this quarter and will be placed on the waiting list for clinicals. At first, I was told that I would not be able to start clinicals until June 2009 which would mean a one year wait but I have kept in contact with the graduate advisor and have been told that there are now five spots for January 2009 and the chances are pretty good, although you never know until you are actually on the list.

The only semi-freaky part is that I have been told that while in Phase II (the clinical part) I should not work. I figure it's ok because I will just bust my butt and save up while I'm on the waiting list.

Sorry about the long post! Hope this helps!

93cobra
04-15-2008, 09:22 PM
my wife graduated from UC with a bachelors in nursing. she took a job at childrens in the operating room. she hated it....literally came home in tears at times due to the asshole surgeons & anesteogeologists (how ever you spell). in a years time she actually talked to her boss like 3 or 4 times.. the turn over rate in her position was very high...people quit constantly from the bs. there is a reason for high demand in nursing...and its not because of the baby boomers needing care soon...its because when most actually figure out what its all about either in their last year clinicals (when your basically already commited) or after school on the job...they hate it. my sister is also a nurse & will second that opinion...

my wife took a job at kendle international downtown...a clincal research organization that deals with drugs in clincal trials to be fda approved... she loves that and the pay is even better... i guess that is the upside of a nursing degree...you don't have to work in a hospital

MsBlkramair
04-15-2008, 11:13 PM
my wife graduated from UC with a bachelors in nursing. she took a job at childrens in the operating room. she hated it....literally came home in tears at times due to the asshole surgeons & anesteogeologists (how ever you spell). in a years time she actually talked to her boss like 3 or 4 times.. the turn over rate in her position was very high...people quit constantly from the bs. there is a reason for high demand in nursing...and its not because of the baby boomers needing care soon...its because when most actually figure out what its all about either in their last year clinicals (when your basically already commited) or after school on the job...they hate it. my sister is also a nurse & will second that opinion...

my wife took a job at kendle international downtown...a clincal research organization that deals with drugs in clincal trials to be fda approved... she loves that and the pay is even better... i guess that is the upside of a nursing degree...you don't have to work in a hospital

You said it. Everyone I know hates it once they get out of school. I got out before I got in too deep. Good luck to you though.

StangGirlRN
04-15-2008, 11:37 PM
You said it. Everyone I know hates it once they get out of school. I got out before I got in too deep. Good luck to you though.

I have been a nurse for 21 years, most of that time at Children's Hospital and I love it! There are a lot of nurses at Children's that have been there the entire time that I've been there. 98% of our staff at CCHMC are proud to say they work here and we rated extremely high in employee satisfaction among pediatric hospitals across the country. I just got my MBA and there are many other places or careers I could enter, but I'm staying in nursing because the possibilities are endless!
The hours may not always be the best, but the rewards are many and the pay and benefits aren't bad either. If I had it to do all over again, I would be a nurse. I'm also proud to say my oldest daughter who has her bachelors in psych/soc is leaving her career as a case worker to go back to school to be a nurse. :D

93cobra
04-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I have been a nurse for 21 years, most of that time at Children's Hospital and I love it! There are a lot of nurses at Children's that have been there the entire time that I've been there. 98% of our staff at CCHMC are proud to say they work here and we rated extremely high in employee satisfaction among pediatric hospitals across the country. I just got my MBA and there are many other places or careers I could enter, but I'm staying in nursing because the possibilities are endless!
The hours may not always be the best, but the rewards are many and the pay and benefits aren't bad either. If I had it to do all over again, I would be a nurse. I'm also proud to say my oldest daughter who has her bachelors in psych/soc is leaving her career as a case worker to go back to school to be a nurse. :D

all i can say it that the operating room nurse scene must be different than regular floor nurse scene. my wife was only there for a little over a year & in that time over 20 o.r. nurses quit & she actually was somewhat high in senority by the time she quit...nothing like 20 yr employees like you are talking about... most the high profile doctors that come & go at childrens for special surgeries are straight up 100% assholes.. i couldnt believe all the stories about how these doctors & anestesiologists dropping f bombs & yelling about the stupidest reasons...as simple as "music not turned up enough" etc... sounded like they believed everyone else in that o.r. were scum....cleaning up crap as a floor nurse isn't for everyone either...

Mrblkramair
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I am a nurse....and thats is not just in the OR...we have our share of those MD's who think they are god (although the surgeons are the worst esp. neuro) but everyone has assholes in their job. You can't let it get to you.

Katmandu
04-16-2008, 08:06 PM
I am a nurse....and thats is not just in the OR...we have our share of those MD's who think they are god (although the surgeons are the worst esp. neuro) but everyone has assholes in their job. You can't let it get to you.

A man dies & goes to Heaven. Upon arriving at the Pearly Gates he is told "Welcome to Heaven, everyone is equal here."
The man is then given a tour of Heaven and finds that it is indeed true.
The man decides he's just got to try the food & goes & stands in the cafeteria line.

While waiting ,a man in green scrubs goes rushing to the front of the line & gets his food ahead of all the others.

"Hey, I thought everyone is equal here. Why did he cut line?"

"Oh, him?" says St Peter, "That's God, he thinks he's a surgeon." :lol: :lol: :lol:

My father is a Retired Shrink. He came home from work one day with a black-eye! One of his patients obviously thought he was an asshole that day! :lol:

Also, my mother, sister and sister-in-law are all RNs and love it. :cool2:

The VA is always hiring RNs. www.usajobs.gov Great place to work if you can deal with the Government BS. :rolleyes:

cobra_SVT_Girl
04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
BSN from the College of Mt. St. Joe in Delhi. I just got my MBA from University of Phoenix. I am a clinical manager in the emergency department at Cincinnati Children's, and am mostly responsible for hiring new graduate nurses into the department.

I graduated for the Mount too....see...I knew you were cool. :lol:

Well, after having met you Saturday, you can definitely tell you are nurse, and I bet a darn good one too! Some people you can just tell...

I agree w/ everything you posted. I personally have known since my dad got sick that I could never be a nurse, although I really like to help people, I just can't stomach the details of nursing. So...that's why I picked Social Work (LSW). I make darn good $, I don't have to get yucky, and most importantly....I still get to help people everyday.

I'm at University of Kentucky now studying for my MSW, LiSW. I'll be done next May thank goodness.

I def recommend the Mount's Masters of Science in Nursing program too. Expensive school, but it's quality. :bigthumb