Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Need serious help with my engine wiring harness [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help with my engine wiring harness

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-21-2008, 06:30 PM
My wiring harness going to my engine is a complete wreck. For starters, 99% of it is unused because most of it has to do with the stock Duraspark ignition and stuff like AC and then on the other side i've got wiring for the stock 3 wire alt. setup and for the external regulator. I wanna pull the whole engine harness out but i'm terrified that i'll never get it running again if i do.

So here's my questions, and remember this is a carbed car so:

1) how difficult is it to pull out the harness that has to do with the engine?

2) I only really need a single wire going to the starter to start the car...the distributor has the ignition built in (Mallory Unilite Comp 9000) and it gets power from the solenoid. Everything else can be run off key-on relays (efan, fog lights). So how do i go about making a harness for just that?

3) Is there anything on the interior side that has to do with that harness?

Anyone who has gutted an engine bay on a carbed car, and especially anyone who has built a carbed racecar and did their own wiring i really need some insight on this. I've got a rats nest like you wouldn't believe on the driver's side and it's all bare and open wire that's starting to dry rot from old age, and not only does it look like crap but it's probably a fire hazard.

MFIELD
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
David its not that bad to do. I completly pulled min out and wired the engine compartment myself. I even moved all the lighting wires so they cant be seen. Thats the good part of a carbed car, dont need all those electric dodads.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
The thing that i'm not sure about is what to do AFTER the harness is out. I can rip it out...but that harness plugs into the column right? Where do i go from there? Also once that's all gone, i have no idea how to wire up the alternator. It's a 3g by the way.

dedpedal
03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
David, try this. Youll have to know what wires on your car match up with the alt.

http://www.racesystems.com/3gproj/

Hope it helps.

MFIELD
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I reused the plugs I needed and just soldered and heat shrinked everything. I am using a 100amp one wire alt from Jegs.

Timido
03-22-2008, 08:07 AM
I ran my front light wires and horn in the drivers fender out to the lights everything else is my wiring I am also usiing a single wire 100amp alternator I picked up at CincySpeed. I have a ARC touch switch pannel that is the easyiest switch pannel relay module I have ever seen. mount the switch to a roll bar or dash. Run the computor looking wire to the relay board. 12volts and a ground to the relay board. Then a single output wire to what ever you are switching. Push the swith and power goes through the relay and fuse and out to what you are powering.

mustangboy
03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm with Timido on the ARC switch panel. I have one as well and it does not get easier. The best part is that it is not that expensive either. Good luck with everything it is a very tedious job.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Got a link for this thing?

My main concern is just getting the new wire in to start and run the car. Everything else i know for sure i can handle one way or another.

MFIELD
03-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Damn Tim that sounds alot nicer and easier than the painless wiring kit I did. Sounds like the way to go David.

mustangboy
03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Here is the link to the 4 switch one I have. http://www.jegs.com/i/ARC/116/4000D/10002/-1 I kinda wish I woulda gone with the 8 switch one which would have given plenty of room to grow if I added nitrous stuff down the road but for now the 4 switch is fine. I believe the 8 switch one is around $250.

Timido
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Mine is the 8 switch. You can flip little dip switchs on the side of the switch panel to make a switch momentary like the start relay or purge relay I also have mine programed with the Dip switchs to turn everything off when I turn of the Ignition touch switch. Very handy after a run when the Ignition Fan Fuel Pump Nitrous Fuel Pump Nitrous Arm are all on I hit the Ignition touch switch off and they are all off. It is a nice kit that came with 8 pieces of Nice Wire that were about 10ft each and a Bag of zip ties and mounting hardware.

Here is my Electronics Board. If you lay out you wiring easy to follow. It makes life so much easyier. See the 8 Relay modlue That is what comes with the kit
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/416871459_655bb3528c.jpg