Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Sauder. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sauder.

DeckerEnt
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I went to Furniture Solutions yesterday and picked up my computer armoire. This thing was a put it together myself deal. 2 boxes, 150 pounds each. I get them home, almost break my back carrying them in, plop them down in the dining room and start to put it together. We started at 8:00. At 2:00 AM I quit. I had the base done, the top done and all 4 doors on. There were still 10 pages of instructions to go. The guy at the store told me it would be 75 bucks for assembly if they did it. Next time, I am shelling out the bucks for assembly. This thing had 60 nails, 80 screws, all sorts of sliders, hinges, ball bearing drawer sliders, it is the good one but damn it was a bitch to put together.
The wife did the rest today.
Keith

myownr
03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
i have never trusted those installers, someone who is getting $8 an hour doesn't care if he stripped a screw or really didn't align something right. I think the time was well invested in something done right.

BigBadStang
03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
It sucks putting that shit together!
I gave up on that pressed wood stuff after all the headaches, the warping, blistering, and becoming loose. I think in the long run, you are better off to buy real wood furniture.

Gene
03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
It sucks putting that shit together!
I gave up on that pressed wood stuff after all the headaches, the warping, blistering, and becoming loose. I think in the long run, you are better off to buy real wood furniture.

Not to mention that the shit always falls apart when you try to move it. :mad:

ibstrokin
03-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I always thought the packaging of that stuff is genius, you can have a small box that weighs 80lbs and makes a whole desk. No wasted space. If you had to break it down and return it, there's no way in hell your going to get it back in the box it came in.

Mista Bone
03-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Sauder is good stuff, easy if your read and follow the instructions.

The only lacking detail it to make sure the cabinet is square before nailing the backing board. That thin piece of cardboard held in with brads does more that you think!

300 lbs of particle board or Keith is getting old and weak. I beleive none of the boxes from Sauder are over 85-100 lbs, I'll bet it was 150 lbs TOTAL, two 75 pound boxes.

DeckerEnt
03-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Nope. Each box weighed 150 pounds. box A and box B. My wife got the rest of it put together, put the puter in and is happy with it now.
Keith

NXcoupe
03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Keith, I put one of those together with Superdave helping me. It took a long time and a lot of scotch too boot. It looks great and has been nice for 4 years now. But now my g/f has the idea to turn my office/study into my daughter's room. So now I have to move it. I am thinking about disassembling as much as possible before I move it downstairs. I just don't want it falling apart and it is really bulky to move. I hope you put yours where you want it for a long time!

Katmandu
03-20-2008, 02:30 AM
I always thought the packaging of that stuff is genius, you can have a small box that weighs 80lbs and makes a whole desk. No wasted space. If you had to break it down and return it, there's no way in hell your going to get it back in the box it came in.No Joke!

I just built a computer desk-hutch last night myself. :bigthumb

VERY time consuming task. :rolleyes:

I bought it at Wally World and it actually is a decent piece of furniture. Not sure the brand name. It wasn't one of the cheap-assed types.

Unfortunately, I ended up cracking the back panel of it with my rubber mallet. :rolleyes: Pretty much a PITA installing the top and getting all the little wooden dowls to line up right. One wack to hard with the rubber mallet did it. :rolleyes:

Strkdblwn347
03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Go buy yourself some real wood furniture. I wouldnt call sauder good furniture either.

DeckerEnt
03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
It serves it's purpose for the price I was willing to pay. I am not saying it is the best out there but my wife likes it and that is all that matters, right.
Keith

Ryan218
03-27-2008, 02:09 AM
we built my own desk / tv stand thing or whatever you want to call it. we built it so it will wrap around one wall in my room. dad helped me with figuring out what we needed and such. it was like the first thing i ever built. been here for about 4 years now.

plus..them desk in a box are ALWAYS missing something or another.