Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Frame rail idea. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frame rail idea.

DeckerEnt
03-11-2008, 10:14 PM
For those of you who know my coupe and viewed the pics, my front frame rails are rotted out. I have made the decision to remove the rusted area and replace it with 2" x 3" square tubing. I need a few things though. Where can I get some? How much should I replace? And can I get some assistance welding it all back together. I have a buzz box mig welder at the shop but I have no idea how to do it or if my welder is enough. Once I get the K member out, I am going to just cut out all the rusted frame rail and weld in the tubing. Any suggestions, wories, advice, anything so this isn't as bad of a project as it feels like. Thanks...
Keith

PaulFiveOh
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Can you take pictures as you go along, it would be interesting.

DeckerEnt
03-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Got one started. Check out my coupe pics.
Keith

NXcoupe
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Keith, I usually keep the Kframe in so that helps keep things lined up, and then I cut out the rust, and form a new piece of sheet metal to replace it with and weld it in. I have one in the shop now I am doing if you would like to hike up and check it out.

dedpedal
03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Keith, I usually keep the Kframe in so that helps keep things lined up, and then I cut out the rust, and form a new piece of sheet metal to replace it with and weld it in. I have one in the shop now I am doing if you would like to hike up and check it out.

Mike, theres not enough frame left to patch. Its pretty far gone.

mustangboy
03-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Put a front clip on it.

DeckerEnt
03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
The core support is in pretty good shape. Mainly it is where the k member mounts to the frame rails at the coil spring. Most of it is solid. I am going to do 3 feet of 2x3 tube on each side and just replace it all.
Keith

91boost
03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I done it on my old coupe and it wasnt that bad. Take plenty of measurements tac weld it in and make sure everything fits before you weld it solid.

glassman
03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Put a front clip on it.

x 2 ..

PonymanfiveO
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Keith, I didnt realize it was that bad. That is going to take a lot of fab work costing a lot of time. You may be better off finding a front clip or another clean car all together.
Id hate to see you put all those nice parts into an unsafe car. :)

DeckerEnt
03-12-2008, 10:21 PM
It looks worse than you think. The fix is going to be easy. As long as I get the tubes straight and welded in solid, it should only cost 30 for the tubes and the time to weld it all solid. My idea is simple and if it works, the car should be strong as hell.
Keith

Stangman
03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I have that black coupe If you need anything at all

DeckerEnt
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks Jesse. I will give you a call when the cutting begins.
Keith

may93
03-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey man make sure its safe most importanly! Sometimes it the rust you cant see that becomes the real problem. You could always fix it like you said and get it running and then find another body down the road and just change all your parts over. Its still a nice car and I dont mean to say anything bad about it just giving some input.

mustangboy
03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Hey Keith I assume you are going to replace the whole pass side strut tower. It looks really really bad as well.

DeckerEnt
03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Yes. Well most of it. When I start the cutting I am going to cut out all the rusty areas untill I hit good metal. Then I will square off the holes and weld in patch panels. The frame rails meet the firewall and just lay in a channel. Maybe spot welded, not sure. I plan on splitting the area and do a complete weld to the firewall. Me and Kevin were looking at it and that is how I think I am gonna weld it.
Keith

dedpedal
03-13-2008, 07:31 AM
If money would allow, Id reccomend sending it out to a body man and have a front clip welded on, but I think that if its done right, Keith will have a safe, solid car when its done.

Black Horse
03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
If you go the tubing route. Be sure to get your K-member mounting holes located well or you will never get your alignment right.

Unless of course you like the crab walk!

NXcoupe
03-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Keith, If I wasn't in the middle of rehabbing my new building, I would come down for a Saturday and help you get this lined out. The tubing idea seems like a solid way of fixing it, but attaching the Kmember will be challenging, but doable. Is there anyway to slide the new tubing into the old frame rail and use the old Kmember holes to mark the new frame? Just a thought. Maybe do one side at a time. It would be easier if I could see what was rusted.

Stangman
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
If you go the tubing route. Be sure to get your K-member mounting holes located well or you will never get your alignment right.

Unless of course you like the crab walk!

I was about to say the same thing:bigthumb

BTW Keith, I may be going to cut up that coupe today... I can try to save the framerails for some reference... but they are pretty rusty on the engine compartment side... but who knows you might be able to patch them...