Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Traded the $70 a month cable for some $10 Rabbit Ears [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Traded the $70 a month cable for some $10 Rabbit Ears

Black92LX
03-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I got my $107 a month cable bill one again and just couldn't justify it anymore.
I watch Nip/Tuck and Top Gear. Top Gear is on BBC America so it's only available in the most expensive HD tier they have.
Nip/Tuck's season is over and I couldn't justify $70 a month to watch Top Gear.

The Over the Air HD channels look great and the Dolby Digital Sounds great. Just like the cable box gave me.
The nn HD channels aren't the greatest so I might take this back and get an amplified set of ears.

Gene
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I wish I could get rid of cable. All the motorsport I like (Rally, MotoGP, Formula One, DTM, etc) I can download the British coverage (much higher quality) from Bittorrent within a day or two of them airing. Other than that, the only stuff I like to watch is movies, which I get from Netflix.

Unfortunately the GF DVRs a shitload of crap that I could care less about (stupid realities shows like Big Brother and such :rolleyes:), so I don't think the cable is going anywhere anytime soon.

Black Hole
03-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I dropped HBO, Cinemax and all that other crap.

I just can't drop everything else.

PonymanfiveO
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
who needs TV. If Im home and not asleep, Im on the computer. :D

Pops Fun
03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Dropped cable a couple months ago and got Dishtv... saving about 20 bucks a month for a year then it goes up $10.... 2 yr contract though.. more channels and more HD.

Steve

djom1cincy
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
directv here. 65 a month with to many channels to list. you should check them out.

Katmandu
03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I might take this back and get an amplified set of ears.You'll be happy as all get out UNTIL Feb 2009!!

In February 2009 (I believe) ALL stations nationwide will STOP transmitting over the airwaves using ANALOG (NON-Digital) signals. You're rabbit ears will be OBSOLETE!

Katmandu
03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I dropped HBO, Cinemax and all that other crap.

I just can't drop everything else.Man, we just did that as well. We had everything that TWC had. $170/month for cable crap!!

Just unloaded a buttload of paychannels now the bill is $115/month. That includes my Turbo Roadrunner! :bigthumb

Black92LX
03-07-2008, 02:07 AM
You'll be happy as all get out UNTIL Feb 2009!!

In February 2009 (I believe) ALL stations nationwide will STOP transmitting over the airwaves using ANALOG (NON-Digital) signals. You're rabbit ears will be OBSOLETE!

My rabbit ears pick up the over the air digital signal. So it will work just as it does now with the digital channels. I just won't have to deal with the fuzzy nondigital channels.

I currently receive HD video with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound with my rabbit ears.

PaulFiveOh
03-07-2008, 02:21 AM

Negative. The rabbit ears are only a medium of passing that signal to the TUNER.
The rabbit ears will (ie: off air antenna) remain, how ever an additional tuner box will be needed to go inline of the of off air antenna on older tv sets with analog tuners only.
:bigthumb

PKFIRE
03-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I spent about 15-16 years without Cable but since I got married I have it. The only thing that was tough about it was not being up to date on cable programs growing up. Though I found other things to do. I know you'll be fine, it would be nice to pocket an extra 50 to 100+ dollars a month. For me at least the money could be going to more important things and anyway I mostly watch regular broadcast programs. Why do I pay for cable:eek:???

Black92LX
03-07-2008, 09:05 AM
It's only a temporary thing.
Once I get in my new house I will be having DirectTV.