Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Steak! UMMMMMM [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steak! UMMMMMM

Goldenpony
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Does anybody know if a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is coming to Cincinnati? I've been hearing a lot of radio commercials. Best Steakhouse I've ever been to.

PaulFiveOh
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I think they bought Mitchell's in Newport.

Like they bought the business, so I don't know if they will physically change the genre or what.

Jeff88coupe
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I've never been to a Ruth's Chris...but I've been to Morton's downtown twice.....best 2 steaks I've ever eaten. Worth every penny it cost for dinner.

Maximus
03-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I've never been to a Ruth's Chris...but I've been to Morton's downtown twice.....best 2 steaks I've ever eaten. Worth every penny it cost for dinner.

I keep hearing that. :)

Goldenpony
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I've been to Ruth's Chris (Maui) and to Morton's. Both excellent, but I'd give the edge to Ruth's Chris. :bigthumb

Jaylynn
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Ruth's Chris is good...... but man, i still think Ruby's is the best steakhouse

beefcake
03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
never heard of em, but i love a good steak! :)

Goldenpony
03-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Gotta argue this point. Went to The Precinct once several years ago, had horrible service and a mediocere steak. Not in the same league with Ruth's Chris - sorry.

Rustanggt98
03-02-2008, 11:14 PM

My vote goes to The Peddler in Gatlinburg, TN. http://www.peddlergatlinburg.com/

99Slobra
03-03-2008, 12:03 AM
I love Ruth Chris's. I used to eat at one once a week with my coworkers when I lived in FL.

The best one I've been to is called Charlies and they have a few locations around Orlando. Smallest steak is a 16 oz filet.

Soo tender you dont' need a knife.

http://www.talkofthetownrestaurants.com/charleys_obt.html

Waffles
03-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Gotta argue this point. Went to The Precinct once several years ago, had horrible service and a mediocere steak. Not in the same league with Ruth's Chris - sorry.

Ruby's downtown is awesome. Bone-in dry aged ribeye :) mmmmmm I don't think they serve it at Ruby's other restruants.

Maximus
03-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I've been to Ruth's Chris (Maui) and to Morton's. Both excellent, but I'd give the edge to Ruth's Chris. :bigthumb

I must have went on a bad night, RC was OK, nothing exceptional. We are suppose to go to Mortons, so hopefully all the hype is true:bigthumb

cstreu1026
03-03-2008, 07:29 AM
The Pine Club in Dayton gets my vote for the best steaks. I've eaten at a couple of Ruby's places and even worked at one and the steaks at The Pine Club blow them away. My wife has eaten at a lot of high end steak houses in her travels for work (including Ruth's Chris) and she prefers The Pine Club as well.

I know rscoupe will side with me on this one as well since he is the one that introduced me to the place.

Jeff88coupe
03-03-2008, 07:56 AM
The Pine Club in Dayton gets my vote for the best steaks. I've eaten at a couple of Ruby's places and even worked at one and the steaks at The Pine Club blow them away. My wife has eaten at a lot of high end steak houses in her travels for work (including Ruth's Chris) and she prefers The Pine Club as well.

I know rscoupe will side with me on this one as well since he is the one that introduced me to the place.

Humz....I guess I'll have to talk Jenn into going there next time we are up in dayton visiting her parents.

Black Horse
03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I love the Ruith Chris Steaks I have had...but for the price you can damn near buy the whole cow.

Jeff88coupe
03-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I love the Ruith Chris Steaks I have had...but for the price you can damn near buy the whole cow.

Very true. I wish I could find a local butcher shop that carried quality dry aged steaks...but none of them (that I've gone to) do anymore. I'd much rather grill my own at home for alot less $.

cstreu1026
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
its getting hard to even find a real butcher shop.

BIGHONKEY
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
My pal here at work, his Uncle, is the chef at Morton's he loves that place. I haven't been yet. For the money though I love El Coyote's, National Exlempar, and Bravo's, they all have good ones.

Goldenpony
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Even though I LOVE Ruth's Chris, I have to agree, the Pine Club is top notch.

I'll tell you where I get my steaks and their the best. Lehr's butcher shop in Milford has great steaks.

Gene
03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
My vote goes to The Peddler in Gatlinburg, TN. http://www.peddlergatlinburg.com/

Same here.

Ruth's Chris didn't impress me, but I generally don't get too excited over steakhouses anyway...I can cook every bit as good of a steak at home for a lot less money.

nkystanger
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
The old F&N Steakhouse in Dayton ky was the best i'd ever had, to bad it shut down a few years ago.

Im picky about my steak and i agree with Gene, id rather put my own dry rub seasonings on it and cook it myself.

Goldenpony
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
So nobody knows if Ruth's Chris is coming to town?

cstreu1026
03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
The only thing I can find is about their acquisition of Cameron Mitchell Restaurants, LLC.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
We just went out to Longhorn and my god i don't know if you can do any better than a medium well Outlaw Ribeye....they're so damn good. Just a little crispy on the outside but they're so thick that they're still about medium in the middle.

:drool:

cstreu1026
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
For what it cost Longhorn is hard to beat.

Goldenpony
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
For a "Popular Priced" steak, I like Lonestar. I usually go to the one on Fields-Ertle road. Hard to beat for the price.

RIXXX93GT
03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I frequent Ruth's Chris in Indianapolis, Chicago. I have been to the Pine Club also but just once. My vote still has to go to Ruth's but I was pleased with Pine Club. I dont see how you can compare Lonestar or Outback to either of these restaurants. When your filet comes out sizzling on a 500 degree plate and you can cut it with your fork to see a perfect medium rare, wash it down with a good Merlot and its something special. Yes you will spend 100-150 on dinner for two but sometimes you just gotta. Thanks for getting my taste buds going guys.

cstreu1026
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I frequent Ruth's Chris in Indianapolis, Chicago. I have been to the Pine Club also but just once. My vote still has to go to Ruth's but I was pleased with Pine Club. I dont see how you can compare Lonestar or Outback to either of these restaurants. When your filet comes out sizzling on a 500 degree plate and you can cut it with your fork to see a perfect medium rare, wash it down with a good Merlot and its something special. Yes you will spend 100-150 on dinner for two but sometimes you just gotta. Thanks for getting my taste buds going guys.

Damn it Rick, now you have both hungry and thirsty!

Goldenpony
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Whoa, I NEVER meant to comapare Ruth's Chris or The Pine Club to Lonestar, no way. It's just sometime you just want a decent steak without driving to Indy, Columbus or Louisville or Dayton, and without spending $100-$150. Two different leagues here. :eek:

RIXXX93GT
03-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Whoa, I NEVER meant to comapare Ruth's Chris or The Pine Club to Lonestar, no way. It's just sometime you just want a decent steak without driving to Indy, Columbus or Louisville or Dayton, and without spending $100-$150. Two different leagues here. :eek:

Yea I understand completely but if anyone says they got a steak at Lonestar that cant be beat, I beg to differ.

Jeff88coupe
03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Morton's is running a Steak and Seafood for 2 for $99. Here is a link to the coupon.
http://www.mortons-steakhouse.com/ss6/index.cfm?MI=8276196&ID=1

mach_u
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Morton's is running a Steak and Seafood for 2 for $99. Here is a link to the coupon.
http://www.mortons-steakhouse.com/ss6/index.cfm?MI=8276196&ID=1
I was wondering if that was still running. Looks like I might need to go check it out! :bigthumb

cstreu1026
03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I am definitely going to give that a try.

Goldenpony
03-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Yea I understand completely but if anyone says they got a steak at Lonestar that cant be beat, I beg to differ.

I didn't say it couldn't be beat, I just said it was hard to beat FOR THE PRICE, and I stand by that.

RIXXX93GT
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I wasnt referring to anyone just a general statement. I would venture to say most of us on this board cant afford to eat a $38 dollar steak every other night. I eat at Lonestar or Outback more than Ruths' Chris but on special occasions it is so worth it.

WhiteT
03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
its getting hard to even find a real butcher shop.

If you lived in Cincy, Stehlin's Meat's is the only butcher shop that still gets live cows and other live stock. Good stuff! Their Brats are the best.

cstreu1026
03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Will drive for beef!

Where are they? I can find decent cuts of meat at Dorthy Lane Market in Dayton but its all naturual hormone & antibiotic free bullshit so it cost a fortune. I have a real issue paying $30/lb for tenderloin at a grocery store.

Jeff88coupe
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Ya..I'm still looking for a butcher shop that does dry aging of beef.

Jeff88coupe
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Well...I found one. Jungle Jim's..they do their own in house dry aging (30 days). Price isn't to bad either...$20-25/lb depending on the cut. We got 2 NY strips to try...gonna throw them on the grill tonight for dinner :)

99Slobra
03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I have still to go to Jungle Jims...

RIXXX93GT
03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Keep us updated Jeff!

Goldenpony
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I asked the butcher at Lehr's in Milford about dry aged steakes. He said their steaks are indeed dry aged. I know that since we stopped buying steak from Kroger and went to Lehr's, there's a big improvment. :)

Timido
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Damn that Mortons coupon made me hungry. I am going to have to try that out.

Timido
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
I like Rubys in Mongomry. Carlos and Johnys

Waffles
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
The old F&N Steakhouse in Dayton ky was the best i'd ever had, to bad it shut down a few years ago.

Really? I'd been there a few times, always hoping the time previous had been just an off night. I never had a steak that that was even as good as one of the steak chains.

Waffles
03-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Ya..I'm still looking for a butcher shop that does dry aging of beef.

Bill Finke & Sons
Address: 1502 Amsterdam Rd, Fort Wright, KY 41011
Phone: (859) 261-8899

They don't dry age everything, but they do hang their ribeyes. That's the only steak I buy anyway, so it works for me.

Blacksunshine
03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Rith Chris rules!!! BUt lets be honest, I can't afford it, So my kids get Ryans...lol
We used to go to Ruth Chris in Hawaii all the time when we lived there.

nkystanger
03-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Really? I'd been there a few times, always hoping the time previous had been just an off night. I never had a steak that that was even as good as one of the steak chains.

That is one of the first times iv heard that about that place. I know it was always ranked as one of the top steak houses around.

Jeff88coupe
03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
We had the 2 NY strips that we got from Jungle Jim's for dinner monday. They turned out very tender with good flavor...still not Morton's quality. But well worth the $27 (1.3lb) they cost. We are going to get a couple filets to try the next time we make it up there. I wish we could get our gas grill hotter to cook the steaks...was able to get it up to ~450....3 minutes per side gave me a nice medium rare :)

RIXXX93GT
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I have reservations at Ruth's Chris steak house April 5 in Indy.....see what you guys started! Finally get to take my daughters.

Mista Bone
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Only one person cooks my steaks, ME!

Mista Bone
03-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I wish we could get our gas grill hotter to cook the steaks...was able to get it up to ~450....3 minutes per side gave me a nice medium rare :)

Med. Rare, is that just past MOO?

RIXXX93GT
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Well with all this talk, I had to do some comparisons while in Indy last week.
Weber grill restaurant = 6 out of 10
St. Elmo's steak house = 6/10 ...hottest cocktail sauce on the planet by the way
Ruths Chris = 9/10....excellent service, steaks cooked perfectly, would have been a 10/10 but the sticker shock from the bill still hurts today.

Med/Rare is dark pink to red in center and center barely warm.= perfect

Mista Bone
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
I have to have mine cooked med. well.........

Twenty years in food service industry.......

mach_u
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I have to have mine cooked med. well.........

Twenty years in food service industry.......
Actually most bacteria on red meat is on the outside of the steak. Cooking past 140 degrees(rare) will kill 99% of the bacteria - of which most is from handling. That is why minced meat(hamburger, etc.) should be cooked more thoroughly due to the increase amount of handling. Education is key. Med-Well+ steaks = nasty. Nothing got me more frustrated working in the food industry than having somebody ordering a well done Fillet. Save yourself the money and buy the cheapest steak on the menu - you probably won't notice the difference. :bigthumb Actually studies have shown that slightly rarer steaks may be better for your heart health, due to an increased level of coenzyme Q10(CoQ10).

Goldenpony
04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Actually most bacteria on red meat is on the outside of the steak. Cooking past 140 degrees(rare) will kill 99% of the bacteria - of which most is from handling. That is why minced meat(hamburger, etc.) should be cooked more thoroughly due to the increase amount of handling. Education is key. Med-Well+ steaks = nasty. Nothing got me more frustrated working in the food industry than having somebody ordering a well done Fillet. Save yourself the money and buy the cheapest steak on the menu - you probably won't notice the difference. :bigthumb Actually studies have shown that slightly rarer steaks may be better for your heart health, due to an increased level of coenzyme Q10(CoQ10).

Well put. If you are going to order anything past med, might as well get round steak and save the money. :lol:

Goldenpony
04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I have reservations at Ruth's Chris steak house April 5 in Indy.....see what you guys started! Finally get to take my daughters.

I envy you! Bon Appetite

Goldenpony
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Rith Chris rules!!! BUt lets be honest, I can't afford it, So my kids get Ryans...lol
We used to go to Ruth Chris in Hawaii all the time when we lived there.

Which one? My wife and I try to get to Hawaii every 2-3 years. We always eat at Ruth's Chris in Lahaina our las night on Maui. :drool:

Mista Bone
04-11-2008, 01:45 AM
mach_u, if you have seen meat industry from fresh to fully cooked, you'll understand why I prefer Med Well.

I understand about raw steak handling is the SAFEST from cross contaimination, but it is still allowed to hit the floor, rinsed, the used in a batch (rework) of meat that will cooked.

Think about the next time you have boneless chicken strips, they are allowed to hit the floor, rinsed and sanitized in a 200 ppm hypochlorite solution, then sent back thru the pumping station to make them juicy. Now after the cooked process, ANYTHING that touches a contaiminated area or floor get put into grey tubs/barrels called inedible. It it then shipped out (Griffin) to make soap from the fat and protien is used in animal feed.

I'm gonna get to tour a place I worked at for 14 years, John Morrell in Tricounty, to see the changes that have happen, some where some my ideas/brainstorms were used. Like positive displacement air handling on the packing floor.

Back to STEAK............

A thick cut of round steak, locally called London Broil, like 1.5" thick when marinated properly and cooked correctly will be just as good as any other steak, except tenderlion.

Don't get me started on Prime Rib.......I'd rather eat a ground steak which is just fancy hamburger!

mach_u
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
mach_u, if you have seen meat industry from fresh to fully cooked, you'll understand why I prefer Med Well.

I understand about raw steak handling is the SAFEST from cross contaimination, but it is still allowed to hit the floor, rinsed, the used in a batch (rework) of meat that will cooked.

Think about the next time you have boneless chicken strips, they are allowed to hit the floor, rinsed and sanitized in a 200 ppm hypochlorite solution, then sent back thru the pumping station to make them juicy. Now after the cooked process, ANYTHING that touches a contaiminated area or floor get put into grey tubs/barrels called inedible. It it then shipped out (Griffin) to make soap from the fat and protien is used in animal feed.

I'm gonna get to tour a place I worked at for 14 years, John Morrell in Tricounty, to see the changes that have happen, some where some my ideas/brainstorms were used. Like positive displacement air handling on the packing floor.

Back to STEAK............

A thick cut of round steak, locally called London Broil, like 1.5" thick when marinated properly and cooked correctly will be just as good as any other steak, except tenderlion.

Don't get me started on Prime Rib.......I'd rather eat a ground steak which is just fancy hamburger!
I worked the food industry for almost 6 yrs so I am pretty clued in on food prep. ;) As for pork and poultry I agree 100% that it needs to be cooked thoroughly. As for rump steak tasting as good as a most any other steak - I won't even touch that. lol A good steak will never need to be marinated. A little dry rub and it should be good to go. :bigthumb

BIGHONKEY
04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
You can burn my steak! I love it med well to well done. A friend of mine tells them "give it to me as rare as you can" (I think he is trying to me macho) or "just show it to the grill". Which is funny but gross in my opinion. His steaks have been purple at times. :barf:

Mista Bone
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
He likes his steaks to still go MOO! when cut into.......