Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Civil Service Test [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Civil Service Test

67Terror
02-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey guys i'm taking my first civil service exam this thursday for a job at florence's fire dept. Any advice? what should i expect? anybody else taking it?

89notch
02-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Brush up on your basic math thats what usually hurts people

66efistang
02-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Most civil service tests are general knowledge based (reading, writing, math, etc.) If you're are good in those areas you should be fine. Just make sure you remember how to work out different math equations like divisions, fractions and stuff like that just in case. You'll probably be in a big room or gym full of people and don't worry about people finishing before you, no extra points for flying through it. LOL Good luck!:bigthumb

Black Hole
02-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Most civil service tests are general knowledge based (reading, writing, math, etc.) If you're are good in those areas you should be fine. Just make sure you remember how to work out different math equations like divisions, fractions and stuff like that just in case. You'll probably be in a big room or gym full of people and don't worry about people finishing before you, no extra points for flying through it. LOL Good luck!:bigthumb
Pretty much.

I took quite a few over the past 18 months as I was trying to become a cop. I found them pretty easy and was regularly one of the first few finished. I advanced with every test (20+) but the first one. Unfortunately (or actually it is fortunate....) it took almost a year for most of them to advance as the process is usually 12-24 months long. Durring that process I found a great job elsewhere at UC so I decided to stay at UC. I just withdrew from 6 application processes last week. :(

I was doing really well with Cincy PD and looking to get an offer to their academy too. :dunno:

thecollector
02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I know no one on hear really knows me, however I to am in the shuffle of exams. I am currently in the Cincinnati PD proccess. Of 2,400 applicants their are under 100 left. (fingers crossed for me). The exams are pretty easy, take your time, it's not a race. Answer the memorization questions regarding the picture first, it's usaully at the back of the packet.

Fire is an extremely competitive career in this area. I recieved a 93 on my Cincinnati Fire exam and only got a "thanks for your time letter." I recieved a 91 on my police and I've been in the ongoing procedures for 10 months now. Good luck with the exam.

fastone
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
With Florence, you will be going against a bunch of guys from Ohio. I would say about 60-70% of Florence is Ohio'ians. It is the usual test like everyone else gives. But, LIKE most FD test, the quicker you finish the test, the earlier you can sign up for the next step in the testing process. Also, some Chiefs look at how long it took you to complete along with how well you did. Don't change any answers once you write it down. ALSO!!!!! Be on time, being late for a FD test in KY will get you kicked down the list the quickest!!!! And finally, good luck!!! Do you have any fire experence at all????

67Terror
02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys :bigthumb

With Florence, you will be going against a bunch of guys from Ohio. I would say about 60-70% of Florence is Ohio'ians. It is the usual test like everyone else gives. But, LIKE most FD test, the quicker you finish the test, the earlier you can sign up for the next step in the testing process. Also, some Chiefs look at how long it took you to complete along with how well you did. Don't change any answers once you write it down. ALSO!!!!! Be on time, being late for a FD test in KY will get you kicked down the list the quickest!!!! And finally, good luck!!! Do you have any fire experence at all????

I've been in Cincy State's fire program for about a year and a half and should be finishing up with the degree this summer. I have my ohio 240 and hopefully my emtb in the next week or so. i also volunteer at bellevue-dayton.

67Terror
02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
btw does anybody know of any other departments that are hiring? i know that cincinnati is giving a test but i heard that they're gonna hire all medics. i would like to start out part-time so i can finish my degree. thanks guys.

Black92LX
02-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Durring that process I found a great job elsewhere at UC so I decided to stay at UC. I just withdrew from 6 application processes last week.

I was doing really well with Cincy PD and looking to get an offer to their academy too.

Should have kept your hat in the ring fella. Could have always told them no when they made you an offer.
Glad to hear you are liking the position:bigthumb

Black Hole
02-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I know no one on hear really knows me, however I to am in the shuffle of exams. I am currently in the Cincinnati PD proccess. Of 2,400 applicants their are under 100 left. (fingers crossed for me). The exams are pretty easy, take your time, it's not a race. Answer the memorization questions regarding the picture first, it's usaully at the back of the packet.

Fire is an extremely competitive career in this area. I recieved a 93 on my Cincinnati Fire exam and only got a "thanks for your time letter." I recieved a 91 on my police and I've been in the ongoing procedures for 10 months now. Good luck with the exam.
Good luck. :bigthumb
I had my psych evaluation and home interview scheduled when I withdrew from Cincy PD's process earlier this month. I also got a 91 on the police test. ;)

Should have kept your hat in the ring fella. Could have always told them no when they made you an offer.
Glad to hear you are liking the position:bigthumb
I seriously thought about it.....trust me, but I had complications with the schedule date of the psych evaluation and while I think I really really would have enjoyed being a cop and I think I would have been really really good at it, I just have too good of a gig here at UC now and unless there was an immediate pay increase of 5 digits, it's just not worth it for me to start over again. (I would have taken a decent pay cut for atleast the first 2 years....and the last 10 years of longevity/retirement with OPERS wouldn't transfer with Cincy PD).

Black92LX
02-20-2008, 02:25 AM
I seriously thought about it.....trust me, but I had complications with the schedule date of the psych evaluation and while I think I really really would have enjoyed being a cop and I think I would have been really really good at it, I just have too good of a gig here at UC now and unless there was an immediate pay increase of 5 digits, it's just not worth it for me to start over again. (I would have taken a decent pay cut for atleast the first 2 years....and the last 10 years of longevity/retirement with OPERS wouldn't transfer with Cincy PD).

I don't fault you for keeping the job at UC by any means. Just with the Police process being so lengthy I feel it's best not to cut it until the last second.

I held out with 3 departments for weeks after I started the academy.
Just the thought of starting all over with the processes bothered me. Though your situation is slightly different.

67Terror
02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
thanks again guys! i took the exam last night and i think i did really well on it. i went at a normal pace and i think i was still like the forth or fifth person done. they sais that they are taking the top 50 for the agility test then around 15 after that for interviews. they'll be hiring 1 right away and probably 2 in the next few months. I better get back to running steps.

Mista Bone
02-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Backpack full of books while doing the steps, as if your dragging hose up.

FireStang02
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Actually if you can get a weighted vest that would be more like what the test is like.

67Terror
02-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Actually if you can get a weighted vest that would be more like what the test is like.

yep some people i know have them up too 75lbs. i think the one we used to do cincy states entrance test was 40lbs and that didn't feel too bad.

FireStang02
02-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Fine some place to work on steps with one on and you will be good to go.

fastone
02-22-2008, 08:43 PM
They might be hiring medics also due to another dept in KY hiring at least 12 (emt's and medics for a total of 12)...... but that list was made almost two years ago... I think there are a few guys from florence in the hiring process..... just a little fyi

67Terror
03-01-2008, 06:48 PM
woohoo! i got the letter yesterday that i made it in the top 50. now i get to take the agility test on the 15th. it doesn't look as bad as i thought, it's the same test i took to get into nati state's program. only then i had to do it in under 10 minutes and now i get 15 minutes.
NO PROBLAM MAAN...