Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Difficult decisions... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Difficult decisions...

Carl
02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok...here goes. I am supposed to seperate from the military Jan09...I just got an assignment to Mt Home, ID. I haven't accepted it yet..Now here's the dilemma. I love the military, but hate the deployments..being away from family and friends. But I have a garuanteed job with medical, dental..housing...all that jazz. I will be able to retire in 10 years with a decent amount of money.

Or....do I get out in Jan...move back to Cincy like I have been wanting to do for years now and try to find a job that pays equivalent to what I make now. I will be back home, me and the family will be back around family and friends. I can actually attend events...go the the races..all the fun stuff I miss out on every damn year...

Please give me any thoughts you may have...or if you have a bad ass job that pays VERY WELL to offer...lemme know!

firestang70
02-08-2008, 05:31 AM
What was your job in the military. Is there a market for that job in the civilian world? Retire in 10 years and still young enough to start another career and a possible second pension/retirement. That is a very tempting thing especially in the countrys current economic state. Do you enjoy serving or do you dislike it? Only you can make that decision. Your well being is worth way more than anyone elses opinion here. Thank you for your service and am sure you will make the right decision for you.

RACEME
02-08-2008, 05:44 AM
It would be great to have you around Carl, but I suggest that you go that next 10 years. I would think you would really enjoy the flexability of the retirement money in 10 years to enjoy you kids in the prime of their childhood.

my .02

DeckerEnt
02-08-2008, 07:35 AM
My brother joined the navy right out of highschool in 91. Right at the start of the first gulf war. Bush was in office and the military was the place to be. He got offers to re up, bonuses, etc etc... Then Clinton took over and the cuts came. 4 years and my bro was out as fast as possible. I would wait to see who gets elected later this year. That will effect how it will go for the next 4-8 years.
Keith

PaulFiveOh
02-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Stick it out bro.

Nothing like having a fat pension check while working part time. (At least that it what I have heard.)

Actully, the way I would I look at is I would do what ever puts your family in the best situation possible

Katmandu
02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I have a guaranteed job with medical, dental..housing...all that jazz. I will be able to retire in 10 years with a decent amount of money.

try to find a job that pays equivalent to what I make now.Carl, you may not like me personally, but here's my advice to you anyways. :cool2:

Copy/Print out the part that I have QUOTED from you and read it OVER and OVER and OVER!

I Retired from the USAF in APR 2003 at the ripe old age of (41). http://katmanduonline.net/smilies/usa.gif

I served for (20) years and Retired as a MSgt (E7). I now have FULL Medical benefits and and a nice pension ($1300/month) for the rest of my life!

If your young and healthy, most young troops really discount the value of MEDICAL insurance. Trust me. I did too UNTIL I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2000 (age 38). Having FULL Medical benefits FOR LIFE is a life save for my family and I!

It is TRUE that you WILL have Medical benefits throught the VA, but you "may" want to entrust you and your family to better quality care. How do I know this ?? I am currently employed at the VA myself! Have been since I Retired in 2003. I'm a Medical Technologist there.

Looking back now, I SERIOUSLY regret getting out of the USAF after (20) years! But since I had Type 2 diabetes my options were limited. I was no longer qualified for Worldwide deployments.

Why do I regret it you ask ??
#1) I miss the Comradeship and Team Spirit amongst the Troops.
#2) I miss the PROFESSIONALISM and Accountability up and down the chain. It does NOT exist outside the Military!!

Now, for the 2nd part of your quotation about finding a J-O-B in the Civilian sector.

This country is Officially in a RECESSION and jobs just are NOT out there like they used to be!! You see stories on this messageboard of our fellow Stangbangerz that families are SERIOUSLY hurting! The middle class of this country is deteriorating rapidly and it will NEVER come back! Mark my words here!

BTW, I "almost" gave up on the USAF at my (10) year point as well. I was serving as an Aux. OSP State Trooper up here in Piqua in my spare time. I had an EXCELLENT opportunity to become an OSP State Trooper. I only had (3) problems. #1) I am WHITE. #2) I am MALE and #3) Due to Affirmative action laws, there was a (2) year waiting list for WHITE/MALES to get into the OSP Academy. This was at a time when the could NOT even find enough Minority qualified candidates to fill the NEXT Class! GO FIGURE! :mad:

Anyways, sorry for being long winded, but I can NOT be any clearer in saying Carl! STAY IN THE USAF for now!! The next (10) years will FLY by SO FAST you won't realize it!

Feel free to contact me Off-Line if I can be of any help to you. http://katmanduonline.net/smilies/usa.gif

Greg Seibert
02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Carl, in addition to Katmandus' comments, which by the way, are all correct, there are several points I can make about trying to survive in civilian life:

If you've been to the tech schools in your specialty, about the only decent paying jobs out here, short of having an Engineering degree, are in Field Service. Your military service and the attending disipline is considered highly by hiring companies. There will be overnight travel involved, computer skills are a must, but the jobs are rewarding and enjoyable.
If your children haven't started school yet, keeping them in one place is a definite advantage, although don't bet that the "Company" won't attempt to relocate you from time to time.
Conventional jobs, the auto industry, GE, military contractors, with decent pay and bennies, are just not available like they were.
I worry about the Presdential Election and what that holds in store for Military funding. This could screw up the fine job President Bush has done in this regard.
Lastly, and this goes for everyone, talk of a recession, cost of living increases, lack of jobs, a bleak outlook, this same scenario is what I faced in the seventies when beginning my career and family. I wouldn't trade a single moment of the challenges and experiences life has dished out.
You will do well with either decision you make!:bigthumb

mustang8998
02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Carl, I never served and I kick myself everyday. I could be in the same situation as Katmandu, in my 40's and retired. If only I could do it all over!

I know it is a tough decision. One that only you can make.

I don't know what effect the election outcome will have, but the way I understand it, alot of top brass may leave (depending on who wins). If that were to happen, there will be a progression up the scale, which is good for anyone willing to stick it out.

Having said that, I know you have the other side to look at. Being home, around friends and family, all the activities you enjoy, means alot. BUT, if you stay in, you will be young enough, to enjoy all these same things (and have security).

Good luck brother! And thanks for your service.

Timido
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I was in 4 years active. If I stayed in active duty I would retire in 2 years. I would be retired at 38. My decision to get out was a big one. It would have been a lot more different if I had 10 years active duty. I make good money in the outside world and have a job that has great benifits but things like healthcare are a big big issue every year it get more expensive. There are alot of things about the AirForce that I miss. There are alot of things I have done after I got out that never would have happened.

Tim

89notch
02-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I say stay the distance or you will regret it in 10 years when you should be retired.

PonymanfiveO
02-08-2008, 10:10 PM
"be all you can be" brother-man!!! :bigthumb

Maximus
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
If you get the actuall benefits when you retire (in 10 years) and not till you are 65. Then go for it.:)

Carl
02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Well....I listened and now I made my decision....I made it more for my new family than my own personal wants..I talk to Jen about and weighed all the pros and cons..

Looks like I am moving to the land of potato's....Idaho....NO!!!! YOU DA HO!!!! :D

DeckerEnt
02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Congrats and good luck Carl!! I hope it all works out for the best for you and the family. You have to stay in touch though. You are one of us and will always be.
Keith
No potatos in the tail pipe jokes please.LOL

firestang70
02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Good luck brother. And thanks again for your service.

dedpedal
02-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Carl, I love you like family. As much as Id like to have you back home, I gotta say that you are right in thinking of your own family first in this matter. My only question is WHY Idaho? Did you have to change locations or is it a means to bettering your carreer?

Black Hole
02-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Difficult decision guy.......I can't really relate as I'm definitely not a "military man", but I say stick it out if you can.

One other thing.....Thanks and be safe.:bigthumb

Katmandu
02-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Well....I listened and now I made my decision....I made it more for my new family than my own personal wants..I talk to Jen about and weighed all the pros and cons..

Good move Carl! http://katmanduonline.net/smilies/usa.gif You won't regret it!

You have no idea how many prior Military folks that I've met who've said they REGRET getting out of the military. :rolleyes:

BTW, what's your MOS ? :confused:

Carl
02-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Well, Idaho was actually my 3rd choice...the first 2 were already fully manned. It's not that moving will better my career, it will just better me. I am so sick and tired of the people that I have to work for that if I would not have gotten this assignment..I would have been getting out in Jan.

My AFSC...is 2W071...Munitions.

aperacer
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
good luck carol... in my opinion you made the correct choice.... staying the next 10 years will go by fast....and then you can start over doing something you like with no pressure..if you dont like it try someting else.....good luck and thanks again for you service....

Timido
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
as far as not liking the people you work with or for that is everywhere. If a job was that much fun we would pay them to be there.

beefcake
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
i think you made the right decision

Pops Fun
02-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Good Luck Carl.... Thanks for your service....

Steve

Katmandu
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I am so sick and tired of the people that I have to work for that if I would not have gotten this assignment..I would have been getting out in Jan.That's everywhere man. :rolleyes:

The politics in the workplace can drive a man insane! Unfortunately, the higher you go up the ladder the MORE BUTT you have to kiss. That was one of the main reasons I chose to get it out. A reason that I now regret. :rolleyes:

You made a wise move non-the-less. One of the things about the military is the RAPID change in your work environment. Folks get out, get reassigned and retire constantly.

In the Civilian sector, you have to wait for someone to DIE or retire BEFORE changes get made.

Good luck in Potatoland! :bigthumb

mustangboy
02-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Good luck Carl I hope all works out for you and the family!!

Carl
02-12-2008, 02:25 AM
That's everywhere man. :rolleyes:

The politics in the workplace can drive a man insane! Unfortunately, the higher you go up the ladder the MORE BUTT you have to kiss. That was one of the main reasons I chose to get it out. A reason that I now regret. :rolleyes:

Good luck in Potatoland! :bigthumb
Actually, Seymour is the worst supervision I have ever experienced in my 9 years. It is my third assignment and I have been mulitple deployments and TDY's, the way the AF views Seymour is rediculous. We are always the first base in when shit hits the fan and the last ones out. When the first gulf war broke out, Shady J was there...when Everyone there is so uptight, they squeak when they walk. I can't say I haven't been everywhere, but I have enough experience to know when it's over the top. But, I am on to greener pastures...They always say "the best base is the one you just left"...not in this case...SJ can suck a nut.

dedpedal
02-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Looks like Ill be making a trip to Idontknow sometime .

Katmandu
02-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Actually, Seymour is the worst supervision I have ever experienced in my 9 years. It is my third assignment and I have been mulitple deployments and TDY's, the way the AF views Seymour is rediculous. We are always the first base in when shit hits the fan and the last ones out. When the first gulf war broke out, Shady J was there...when Everyone there is so uptight, they squeak when they walk. I highly suspect the poor moral/leadership down there is a result of the extremely high rate of deployments.

The high deployment rates take their toll on the entire Military. :rolleyes:

Gregg@TFS
02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Good choice Carl! I expect you to bring back some good TATORS next time you in the OH.

92BlackStang
02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I say stay the distance or you will regret it in 10 years when you should be retired.

what he said

Carl
02-14-2008, 01:20 AM
I highly suspect the poor moral/leadership down there is a result of the extremely high rate of deployments.

The high deployment rates take their toll on the entire Military. :rolleyes:
Yeah...we are on AEF 9-10 and 1-2...in other words..we are deployed for 8 months straight..It sucks major ass...

Good choice Carl! I expect you to bring back some good TATORS next time you in the OH.
I will hook you up brotha!!

dedpedal
02-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Let me know when you get situated. Ive been wanting to take Amy somewhere for long weekend and we would both like to hang with you and Jenn.

Carl
02-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Damn dude...a long weekend in Idaho??

DeckerEnt
02-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I think he ment the Stan. LOL
Keith