Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
What brand tires do you like? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What brand tires do you like?

gtbadboy
01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I was going to buy new tires. What kind of tire do you like?

Qtr milerocket
01-24-2008, 11:46 PM
For a good performing ZR rated tire I've owned both Dunlop and Cooper with excellent results, and for drag radials M/T et street radials with BFG coming in a close second.

Peace :cool2:

James

mustangboy
01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
What is your budget? Are you looking for something decent and cheap or just the best tire you can get. I always like Toyo for a medium priced tire.

Black Horse
01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
What vehicle are you putting the tires on? What kind of driving/performance do you want out of the tires? What kind of driving environment?

Black92LX
01-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Pirelli (for trucks and SUVs) , Continental (for passenger cars with mild performance), BF Goodrich KDW (for performance)

gtbadboy
01-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Good Street Tires. Price Does Not Matter. For 04 GT Mustang.

dawsin94cobra
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
the toyo proxys seem to be really good thats what my brother had on his 94 cobra adnd they hooked great!

5.0calypso93lx
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty much a die hard Falken fan now. For the price and performance, you pretty much can't beat the Azenis RT615's.

98stangv6
01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I bought some Falken Ziex and I know I have absolutely no power going to the tires, but I love them. They were fairly cheap, good looking tire, handle well, and even do a good job in the snow.

IWRBB
01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Good Street Tires. Price Does Not Matter. For 04 GT Mustang.

You can just ignore those Falken comments above (IMO) if price doesn't matter. Since I'm not sure what size are are running, I'll recommend a few. Get a set of Goodyear GS-D3s, Bridgestone RE-01Rs or RE050A Pole Position, or the Michelin PS2s.

Any of those 4 choices will be better than the Falken, Cooper, Kuhmo, Toyo or Continental offerings. Those companies make some decent tires, but they aren't in the same league as the ones listed above.

In general, I think Michelins are the best overall (but you pay for it), Bridgestones are the best in the middle price range, and Kuhmos are good low buck tires.

cstreu1026
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
The Falken RT615 is one of if not the stickiest street tire out there. Its the "in" tire for a lot of autocross guys who have to run street tires.

IWRBB
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Dry traction is one only factor. For a street tire I consider ride, longevity, the effects of thousands of heat cycles, noise, cornering, and wet traction as well. The Azenis probably are good tires, but drive them for 20,000 miles versus a set of Michelins and at the end I bet the Michelins are significantly smoother, quiter and provide more traction.

R825OH
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Ive had the best kuck w/ Goodyears they cost a little but are worth it. I have Toyo's on my wagon and they are great "all-weather" tires

mach_u
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I've been happy with my Nitto 555's for street driving. I tend to go through tires pretty quickly... :angel: and these have lasted REALLY well considering!

PKFIRE
01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I have the Falken 512's 275/40/17 on my Mustang right now. I wish I would of purchase a tire with a stiffer side wall though straight line acceleration is better than the stock F1's the car came with. 555 Nittos was my second choice and is the tire I probably should of bought.

BTW I've had 8 different tires on my Volvo 240 and the Falken outlasted all of them and returned good traction and awesome wear. I put over 50,000 miles on my 225/50/15 Falken 502's on my Volvo without rotation. The BFGs Touring TA v rated and Pirelli P60 didn't last 30,000 miles. I just put a new set of 912's on and I really enjoy them.

Just for fun(G meter) Corning
My cobra pulled
.93G's on the Stock F1's
03 Mustang GT
.86G's stock Goodyears
1990 Volvo 240 .89G sumotumo HTR 2

PKFIRE
01-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Dry traction is one only factor. For a street tire I consider ride, longevity, the effects of thousands of heat cycles, noise, cornering, and wet traction as well. The Azenis probably are good tires, but drive them for 20,000 miles versus a set of Michelins and at the end I bet the Michelins are significantly smoother, quiter and provide more traction.

The factory Michelins that came on my Volvo were great tires even when I replaced them after 7 years of use and they still felt good. I can't say the same thing for my Sumotumos after just a few years of use. So I'm going to agree with you on your statement.

pegasus
01-25-2008, 02:32 PM
dayton daytona

Xuzhu
01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't know if I could ever switch off of the Eagle F1 GS-D3's. I'm so in love with that tire!

Kevin Doe
01-25-2008, 03:36 PM

So basically you're saying you have no first hand expericnce with the Falken Azenis RT615s, right? They are quite amazing in the wet. A lot of standing water might not be the same, but in light and moderate rain the Azenis are AMAZING. I have had the RT615s on a few cars, and like ther others have said, they outperform many many of the higher cost tires in nearly every catagory.

IWRBB
01-25-2008, 04:01 PM
No, I haven't had the pleasure of driving on these magic tires. Again, for a street tire, I don't consider traction to be the end all, be all of a tire. And how can you just discount standing water like that? If traction was the only thing and there were no puddles in the world we could just run drag radials :)

The guy isn't autocrossing or dragracing his car, he wanted a recommendation for a good set of all around tires. To me that means a combination of long life, good grip, quietness, and a smooth ride. Not an ultra-grippy sub-200 treadwear tire.

Since you've had so much experience with them and they are cheap, how about some feedback on them? How did they balance up? Did they need weight, if so, how much? How are they at around 25K miles in? Did you have to re-balance? Does the grip last the life of the tire, or do they harden with heat cycles?

PKFIRE
01-25-2008, 04:11 PM
So basically you're saying you have no first hand expericnce with the Falken Azenis RT615s, right? They are quite amazing in the wet. A lot of standing water might not be the same, but in light and moderate rain the Azenis are AMAZING. I have had the RT615s on a few cars, and like ther others have said, they outperform many many of the higher cost tires in nearly every catagory.

How long do they last?

Kevin Doe
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I didn't buy them for an all season tire. I bought them as what they are, a max performance summer only tire.

My first set I had on for ~15k miles. They had approximately 1/3 life left. I drove hard, launching, turning, etc. I drove in probalby 6 autocrosses with these tires. I was surprised they lasted as long as they did. I only expected one summer from them. Wet traction on these tires is far better than a regular all season, and thats about as far as I cared. I'm not planning on doing any hard driving in the rain, so what does it really matter as long as they're as good as a standard tire. I have never hydroplaned with these tires, but I woudln't try to rip a 1.0g turn in huge puddles either.

I've owned two sets, first set was 225/40/17, and they balanced well, two sections of strip weight was the most on a wheel out of the four (I think eash piece of the strip was maybe 0.1 oz, not real sure). These were on Rota wheels

The second set is 255/40/17 front, 275/40/17 rear. These balanced out better than the first set (maybe because the wheels are better this time also). These were on Enkei RPF1 wheels.

No rebalancing necessary. Grip throughout the life of the tire was consistant. I didn't notice any real changes in grip or anything either. I never expereienced any hardening with heat cycles.

In the months to come, I'll be takin them out on the track at Mid-Ohio, unless by some miracle I get slicks. They're commonly taken on road courses, but most report that they overheat 5 or laps in, and you have to back off a touch. But then again, they're not supposed to be a track tire, so what can you expect.

I didn't really read what the guy wanted in a tire, but if you want all seasons, RT615s are not the tire for you.

gtbadboy
01-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I am going with Goodyear F1.

OrangeStang04
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
All I am gonna say is BGF KDW N/T

That is all

Timido
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I had a set of zr rated Pep Boys futuras Same same as Cooper cobras I think and they were NICE.

My Excursion has a set of Bridgestone dueler At's on it now WOW Killer AT tire quiet and tears up mud and snow.

Mickey Thompsons on everything else.

Black Hole
01-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm running BFG AT's on my Jeep, BFG's on the wife's Equinox, Goodyear's up front and Mickey's on the back of the Cobra.

gtbadboy
01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I am going to run M/T on the back in the warmer months.