Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
any bowtie mechanics here [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : any bowtie mechanics here

myownr
01-20-2008, 12:49 AM
i have an 03' silverado with the 5.3L it is giving me error code 449 which i have been told is evap sensor. no parts store has this listed exactly as evap sensor and i am not sure what or where it is. can you help me with a part # or show me where the hell this thing is. thanks

pegasus
01-20-2008, 01:00 AM
dads truck has the same thing i think
its the o2 sensor. does it knock in the cold?? if it does thats just the piston skirts(chevy made them 2 long and they will not re-call them) at some point they will just fall in to the pan
any way it will stop when it warms up this spring

bangingears
01-20-2008, 01:16 AM
p0449 is a vent solenoid code for the evap system. could be caused by many things. the vent solenoid is usally located near the gas tank. it works in conjunction with the purge solenoid to allow gas fumes to be vented into the engine when the charcoal canister is full or when the PCM tells it to due to other reasons. you can take it off and test it, just due a google search for more info on tests.

Black Horse
01-20-2008, 07:57 AM
If you overfilled the gas tank during a fill-up and loaded up the evap system you can pop this code. Pull your battery cables, touch them together to reset the codes and drive on!

Swiller of Beer
01-20-2008, 01:00 PM
As stated above P0449 in for the Evap vent solenoid valve. It should be around the fuel tank area with a two wire connector going to it and a big plastic tube that clips on it coming from the canister. Check and see if it is clogged with debris, etc. The Evap pressure sensor you were asking about is mounted on the fuel pump module on top of the fuel tank. Its a small black rectangle with a three wire connector.

aperacer
01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
there is a TSB for this code. there is an updated vent solenoid and there is a revised hose routing fortthe vent. tomorrow i will look it up while at work.. i know you need about 10-15 feet of 5/8" heater hose and some hose clamps.

347sc
01-21-2008, 07:58 AM
there is a TSB for this code. there is an updated vent solenoid and there is a revised hose routing fortthe vent. tomorrow i will look it up while at work.. i know you need about 10-15 feet of 5/8" heater hose and some hose clamps.

I was going to post the same. I couldnt get into Service info from home to post it.:bigthumb

BigBadStang
01-21-2008, 08:06 AM
dads truck has the same thing i think
its the o2 sensor. does it knock in the cold?? if it does thats just the piston skirts(chevy made them 2 long and they will not re-call them) at some point they will just fall in to the pan
any way it will stop when it warms up this spring

imagine that...another GM piston slapper. they're getting really good at building those.:rolleyes:

aperacer
01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
THE TSB NUMBER IS 02-06-04-037C
THIS SI FOR P0446 WHICH IS FOR THE VENT SOLINOID NOT WORKING. DOUBLE CHECK THE CODE.. THE PART NUMBER IS 19152345. AND YOU WILL NEED ABOUT 12 FEET OF HOSE AND 4 HOSE CLAMPS. IF YOU HAVE SOME QUESTIONS GIVE ME A CALL 513 240 2938.. LEAVE A MESSAGE IF I DONT ANSWER.

347sc
01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Lol My first job this morning is a P0449.

aperacer
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
how do you like that waranty time.? or did you get lucky and its customer pay? i was not so lucky... i had to remove a head on an aveo... burning oil and the crank case full of coolant. and under waranty.

347sc
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I hate warranty and yep it is.
Look on the bright side, you get cars. I get diesel. Two pumps and an injector job sitting here now.:doh:

aperacer
01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
you can have it...

myownr
01-21-2008, 06:44 PM
thanks aperacer, i may call you. do i need to drop the tank to get to the sensor? what is the actual fix for P0449 code and how much to fix. being recently unemployed not sure if i'll get to fix it right away or wait til later

aperacer
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
if you are going for the pressure sensor.. yes you have to drop the tank.... if you are going for the vent solinoid you dont have to drop it.

WhiteT
01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
imagine that...another GM piston slapper. they're getting really good at building those.:rolleyes:

I'd take piston slap anyday over what my Ford 5.4 did. Seems like my 5.4 didn't like sparkplugs, so it decided to spit 3 of them out, taking out all the threads too:(

My 5.3 flashed that same code too (I think it was that same one.) Anyways, my gas cap was bad. Replaced, reset the ECM, and everything was good.

myownr
01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
the gm dealer said evap solenoid. i have checked with koi, aotozone, and no one knew what i was talking about. If the damn dealer hadn't been so expensive and just getting laid off,i would have had it fixed.now i will have to fix it somehow as with the layoff i may have to sell it which really suxs. could it be just a gas cap that would cause this solenoid to malfunction?

aperacer
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
the evap purge soliniod is on top of the intake. fuel cap will show as evap system leak.

bestracing
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I went and got an actron reader and sensor diagnostic tool for OBDII systems. It's came in handy a few times and I can get an adapter cable for some late model OBDI stuff.

bangingears
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
purge soleniod and vent solenoid is different. also when gas cap is loose it usally show a small leak code or a gross leak code and not a vent code.

myownr
02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
went torobke to get evap vent solenoid and they were not sure which one i needed. they said either it would be round or more like a rectangle. mine looks to be more rectangular, however when they pulled part out of box it was round. then the guy said the rectangular one had a revised part number which was on the box. he was confused as well. anyone have a propper part number or what i need to fix this. i am thinking just replace the vent solenoid

347sc
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Pm me your vin#.

Also there is a fuse for the valve too. I forget what position in the fuse box it is.