PDA

View Full Version : Question about fan/water pump shaft

02mingryGT
01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
My fan came off of my water pump yesterday on my way to work and destroyed my radiator in my S-10 Blazer. Luckily I wasn't that far along and was able to return home and drive the stang instead. Anyway question is how many have ever seen the fan pull itself off of the water pump shaft? Also the fan clutch is on the outside of the fan and not inside like I'm used to seeing. Is that Chevy specific? I had to end up taking the pump off and using my Hammer Press with the socket attachment repress the "donut" back on. Seems tight. Should I have any concerns that it will come off again? If it does I think it would be an over time type thing where I'll probably need to keep checking it.

bestracing
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I had to replace the fan in my 96 Blazer because the center hub, where it bolts to the clutch, had cracked and was causing it to wobble. I heard from a guy that works at a GM dealer that they have had of a few 4.3L S-chassis vehicles having the same problem as mine but I haven't heard of the fan come off the shaft. I would go and get a new one since it has done it once it will most likely do it again.

02mingryGT
01-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing since I already have it off and it's torn up one radiator and don't want that to be two. So I'll guess I'll grab a new one tonight.

bestracing
01-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing since I already have it off and it's torn up one radiator and don't want that to be two. So I'll guess I'll grab a new one tonight.

If you need parts for your GM, we have a hook up for factory GM parts on NKYFBA. His screen name is WANABZ.

02mingryGT
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
If you need parts for your GM, we have a hook up for factory GM parts on NKYFBA. His screen name is WANABZ.

Thanks but I got the radiator at Allgiers for 75 and the water pump at Autozone for 32. Got it back together and it's running fine.

Mista Bone
01-21-2008, 11:57 PM
LOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I had to make a rescue trip while in Michigan. Chebbie 350, 1997 3/4 Conversion van and it took out the radiator. B-man said it looked liked a helicopter blade hit the backside of radiator.

LUCKY for them, they still had their snowsuits since they were out on the snowmobiles, 3 hours north of Detroit.