Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
cam help [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : cam help

graysonracin
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
anybody have a suggestion for a cam for this setup? 347 forged lower end, victor jr heads, edelbrock rpm2 intake, 30lb injectors, 75mm throttle body, c&l 76mm mass air kit, long tubes and all the other usual stuff. I was thinking of an anderson ford motorsport n41 or n412, possibly a fms x-303, trying to keep allittle street driveabilty. Trying to get this pile of parts up and running. Thanks for the help.

PaulFiveOh
01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow sounds like a nice build with some serious lungs!

I would say the bigger the better with your setup, just remember to price out a vacuum canister!

5.0calypso93lx
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Are you wanting something off the shelf or would you be willing to go custom? With a setup like that, I think custom would be the way to go.

AntiRice427
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Comp XE282HR

rmracing
01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
The cam you chose will depend on what your wanting to do with the car . You want drivability , but how important is it ? How much rpms do you want to turn and what gear do you run ? On that combo you will probably give up alot of top end hp to get drivabality . That combo will need a pretty big cam if you want any rpms out of it .

graysonracin
01-14-2008, 09:27 PM
The cam you chose will depend on what your wanting to do with the car . You want drivability , but how important is it ? How much rpms do you want to turn and what gear do you run ? On that combo you will probably give up alot of top end hp to get drivabality . That combo will need a pretty big cam if you want any rpms out of it .

I have a 3.73, 5speed manual, would like to make at least 400hp to the wheels. I would like something that would make good power to 6500 or so rpms, and still have some low end.

graysonracin
01-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Comp XE282HR

That was one of the cams i was considering, hows the driveabilty?

graysonracin
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Are you wanting something off the shelf or would you be willing to go custom? With a setup like that, I think custom would be the way to go.

Contacted compcams about a custom cam,also anderson ford and havent heard back from either in weeks. Looked at a ton of cams, guess ill have to go on to one side of the fence, hp or driveability.

graysonracin
01-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow sounds like a nice build with some serious lungs!

I would say the bigger the better with your setup, just remember to price out a vacuum canister!

Thanks ill look into one of those, was wondering about vacum issues.

5.0calypso93lx
01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Contacted compcams about a custom cam,also anderson ford and havent heard back from either in weeks. Looked at a ton of cams, guess ill have to go on to one side of the fence, hp or driveability.

Ed Curtis at FTI is good, Jay Allen at Camshaft innovations, BES out in lawrenceburg, lots of good grinders out there.

rmracing
01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I have a 3.73, 5speed manual, would like to make at least 400hp to the wheels. I would like something that would make good power to 6500 or so rpms, and still have some low end.

400 to the wheels is very possible with a 347 . The 347s seem to need a bigger cam to get the same rpms as a 302 . An example , I have a friend with a 347 that bought one of my old cams a while back that pulled to 7000 in my car and it would only go about 6000 in his similar 347 engine . I would make sure that intake is ported if not already and i would run a cam at least 240-250 duration at 50 and it would be fairly streetable , depending on what you consider streetable . For the most hp and track et. I would go even bigger than that and run a bigger gear but you will be loosing alot of drivability .The comp 282 cam may be ok for a street 302 but I doubt it will see 6500 in a 347. The old cam in my buddys 347 street car was a custom comp 236/242 and it made about 380 to the wheels and wouldnt rpm at all . He than switched to a 252/260 at 50 and it really woke the car up. It hasnt been back on the dyno yet though . A good thing about the 347 is you will still have plenty of power down low.
Hopes this helps.

graysonracin
01-14-2008, 10:39 PM
400 to the wheels is very possible with a 347 . The 347s seem to need a bigger cam to get the same rpms as a 302 . An example , I have a friend with a 347 that bought one of my old cams a while back that pulled to 7000 in my car and it would only go about 6000 in his similar 347 engine . I would make sure that intake is ported if not already and i would run a cam around 240-250 duration at 50 and it would be fairly streetable , depending on what you consider streetable . For the most hp and track et. I would go even bigger than that and run a bigger gear but you will be loosing alot of drivability .
Hopes this helps.

Thanks man that helps, definetly want the hp. Ill check out some of the cams i was considering again to see if they are close to those specs, and still may look into a custom cam also. Also may go to 4.10 gear .

PonymanfiveO
01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh Snap!

My boy finally got a computer and learned how to type "stangbangerz.com"!!! :eek:

First off, welcome to the fun here on SBZ.

Ok, Mark, I say we go with a 3.90 gear ratio in the rear and go with a healthier cam. if you want a nice driver, you can get the super clean '99 stang out for a cruise. You need a mean ride that pounds the ground to let everyone know your coming. ;) I dont think a wild cam will be an issue once you get some miles on it and learn how to drive it. And remember what I told you about a good set of valve springs. ;) ;)

And remember bud, Im always down to help out whenever you need a hand with it. :bigthumb

now go start a build thread cracker! :cool1:

AntiRice427
01-14-2008, 11:31 PM
That was one of the cams i was considering, hows the driveabilty?

With a good tune you could drive it everyday if you wanted to. Comp also makes XFI "stroker" cams.

Maximus
01-14-2008, 11:53 PM

I can get you a good deal on Comp products...even custom grinds.:bigthumb

juiced347
01-15-2008, 10:04 AM
contact camshaft innovations for a custom grind just go to camshaftinnovations.com and fill out the build sheet and he will call or email you with what he has came up with for a custom grind

graysonracin
01-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I can get you a good deal on Comp products...even custom grinds.:bigthumb

Cool ill probably stop in this weekend, need some misc stuff anyway

graysonracin
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh Snap!

My boy finally got a computer and learned how to type "stangbangerz.com"!!! :eek:

First off, welcome to the fun here on SBZ.

Ok, Mark, I say we go with a 3.90 gear ratio in the rear and go with a healthier cam. if you want a nice driver, you can get the super clean '99 stang out for a cruise. You need a mean ride that pounds the ground to let everyone know your coming. ;) I dont think a wild cam will be an issue once you get some miles on it and learn how to drive it. And remember what I told you about a good set of valve springs. ;) ;)

And remember bud, Im always down to help out whenever you need a hand with it. :bigthumb

now go start a build thread cracker! :cool1:

Thanks dude, might need your skills