Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
laid off today [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : laid off today

myownr
01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
i don't know how to respond to this as it is the first time i have been fired/laid off, what is the difference anyway. i have been working in the housing industry 21 years designing homes. does anyone know where or what steps i need to collect unemployment. i worked in cincinnati, but live in ky. which state do i need to be seeking unemployment? anyone know anybody needing house plans for either a new house or remodeling project drawn up.although i should be in the dumps right now with the reality of paying bills, the joy of not having to work for this last architect is somewhat a relief as he was many times a jerk to me and my fellow employees.

boosted 98
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
you should start your own architect buisness, im sure you have some good connections since you were doing it for so long.It is hard to make a lot of money working for sombody else, this could be a good oppertunity for you. good luck!

02mingryGT
01-12-2008, 08:13 AM
In Ohio you can do your unemployment online. I'm sure Kentucky has the same deal. Just Google Kentucky Unemployment and when you apply I'm sure it will tell you what to do. Sucks to here you were laid off. I was laid off twice in less than a year. Good luck on your job hunting. I wouldn't limit myself to just house design, sounds like you have Cad experience so you should be able to find a job doing that even if it isn't housing.

PaulFiveOh
01-12-2008, 08:33 AM
You could probbably get a commercial sales position at your local lowes. They are the highest paid hourly people in the building, usually looking at 18 to 22 /hr.

dedpedal
01-12-2008, 09:01 AM
From personal experiance, file in Ohio. I do it online every year when I get laid off.

http://unemployment.ohio.gov/

94cobra2615
01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
From personal experiance, file in Ohio. I do it online every year when I get laid off.

http://unemployment.ohio.gov/

Exactly.

I get laid off every year. I love it. :)

IWRBB
01-12-2008, 10:26 AM
That sucks man, did you work for Fischer? I got a buddy over there that is an architect.

I work for a engineering compnay, our biggest market share is residential subdivisions and it's dead. I sure hope things pick up soon. I know a couple local developers have gone bankrupt. The commercial and retail markets are still strong though, for now.

Greg Seibert
01-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Sorry to hear this myownr, but as above, go to the web page to start the process where they send you a packet in the mail to register with your information. You can elect to have payments direct deposited at your bank, and report weekly with a user name and pin number online or by phone. They will require you to seek job positions each week with two or more employers in your trade or occupation. Good hunting and hang in there.:)

PonymanfiveO
01-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Damn Rob, That sucks man. :(

I agree your good enough at what you do, you should be able to start your own business no problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted how it goes.

69Cobra
01-12-2008, 05:33 PM
It doesn't matter where you live its where you work. You need to file in Ohio.

mustanginky
01-12-2008, 10:18 PM
You could probbably get a commercial sales position at your local lowes. They are the highest paid hourly people in the building, usually looking at 18 to 22 /hr.

yup, i worked there and those guys made pretty good $ for a retail job.

Blacksunshine
01-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Good Luck !

myownr
01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
no it wasn't as fischer, it was at beck architecture in cincinnati. the good news is tomorrow in monday morning and no work. thanks for the support, any more tips on the unemployment game?

Greg Seibert
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
:(Are you ready for this sheet?:mad:
:AR15:The butwipes with-hold tax on your unemployment checks!:flipoff:

Holly
01-14-2008, 05:15 PM

I was on unemployment from May 2000 to September 2000. I did not have them take out any taxes on my weekly unemployment check, and then I owed over $500 in taxes when I went to do them in January 2001.

I had to take out a small loan just to pay my taxes. While it was nice getting $340 a week while laying around Vinny's pool all day, I should have had them take the taxes out, I ended up having to pay interest on a loan to pay my taxes. Would have been easier if they just took the taxes out weekly. My bad. :HYF:

94cobra2615
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM

You have the OPTION for them to take 10% out for taxes. I have them take it out.

Greg Seibert
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Like Holly said, weather they withhold now or you pay later, what's your point???

02mingryGT
01-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Yeah it is kind of crappy that they tax you on your unemployment. I'm going to go ahead, without any proof, and blame that on the Clinton administration.......lol. They needed the money to pay for Al's electric bill at Casa Rocky Top.

Mista Bone
01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Try they tax you unemployment, then child support takes the rest.

50-55% rule doesn't to unemployment.

If you work, you get less unemployemnt, but child support will get more.......your still broke.

Not even enough left to rent an apartment, let alone pay ANY utilitys.