Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Waiters/Waitresses beware [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Waiters/Waitresses beware

02mingryGT
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
About to be a dying breed:

http://wcbstv.com/technology/uwink.touch.screen.2.625719.html

Mista Bone
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
sorry, I'd rather tip a person for great service.

facemelter71
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Yea same here.

mustangboy
01-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like society just keep getting less and less personal. There will come a day when you will never have to leave you house for anything. You will be able to do everything from your own home and never acutally intereact w/ a single person. Kinda sad if you think about it.

Gene
01-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like society just keep getting less and less personal. There will come a day when you will never have to leave you house for anything. You will be able to do everything from your own home and never acutally intereact w/ a single person. Kinda sad if you think about it.

I agree.

I can see that kind of technology being useful in a fast food enviroment, but quite honestly I wouldn't frequent a "sit down" restaurant that didn't have a server take my order. I like the interaction with the server. That kind of technology would commoditize the product to the point where the restaurant experience would suffer.

A lot of restaurants are equipping their servers with PDAs instead of note pads...that is a better application of technology than just having an order screen.

replicobra
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
besides who doesn't like looking at a hot server who takes your order...and if they're wierd, then you have a great conversation starter at the table.

mach_u
01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm on the fence with this. I worked food service for almost 6 years and obviously human error plays a large role in problems plus when the customer says "I ordered it well done" when they clearly said medium, you have proof. Plus you really aren't taking the server out of the picture as they are still going to bring refills, food, etc. so technically their jobs aren't going anywhere. Plus, like replicobra said - who would go to hooters anymore if you didn't have chicks in short shorts working? lol

theyallslow
01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
i dont see this happing at hotters. hehe

Gene
01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
i dont see this happing at hotters. hehe

What's a "hotter"? ;)

Black Horse
01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Or Happing?

RIXXX93GT
01-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Its all about labor reduction guys and gals. Remember when you used to pull into a gas station and pay the attendant to pump the gas, no self service. Then you could self serve but went inside to pay the clerk. Now you swipe your card and off you go. Where do you think the extra clerk and attendant went? To the unemployment line thats where. Almost all these conveniences were designed to reduce labor cost, just remember who it is affecting the most. Remember when you called the customer service number and actually talked to someone....from this country....now its mostly computerized. To keep profits up and compete with foreign labor costs in our lovely global economy you will see the #1 strategy for businesses is to reduce workforce. I shutter to think of how things will be 30 years from now.

ffmueller81
01-09-2008, 11:32 AM
who would go to hooters anymore if you didn't have chicks in short shorts working? lol

there are chicks there in short shorts????????? I go there for the wings:D

mustangboy
01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Where do you think the extra clerk and attendant went? To the unemployment line thats where.

Yeah but you have to remember that it took someone to design the system, manufacture it, install it and maintain it. Basically a different job but still a job. I like that technology has made many things quicker and more convenient but I see a generation in the making that won't have a clue how to have a conversation or interact with people. Instead everyone will just text each other.:lol:

Black92LX
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM

if you wanted this is currently 100% possible.

But I doubt i would eat at a place like that unless it was like Mcdonalds or something.
But a sit down restaurant. I went a person for service.

mustang8998
01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm on the fence with this. I worked food service for almost 6 years and obviously human error plays a large role in problems plus when the customer says "I ordered it well done" when they clearly said medium, you have proof. Plus you really aren't taking the server out of the picture as they are still going to bring refills, food, etc. so technically their jobs aren't going anywhere. Plus, like replicobra said - who would go to hooters anymore if you didn't have chicks in short shorts working? lol

I'm with you AJ. It doesn't seem that bad. Especially if it speeds up the whole process. Less time standing around, with the damned pager, LOL.

replicobra
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
it may make things faster and simpler, but the problem is the same with all business. any tool for a given trade that makes a job faster or easier returns more money to the owner of that business. however, if it removes another person from the big picture, then someone else loses out. instead of money being spread out to more of society, it becomes more one sided. i guess that's the natural progression of everything. to be competetive you have to utilize every tool available, but when do you draw the line?

2Kblacksleeper
01-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Great now i have less time to work my game (what little that is) and try to pick up that hot female server. Whats this world comming to these days?

Maximus
01-10-2008, 12:32 AM
So why are we all in a Fuckin hurry?? :(

Maximus
01-10-2008, 12:36 AM

True.
So where do I sign up to work from home? How is anyone gonna Dyno their car if they dont go anywhere...I guess we wont need cars then. We wont be leaving our homes.
HA!! We FINALLY FUCKED the OIL COMPANIES!!!! Nee ner nee neer!!

Technology....a lazy mans invention.:rolleyes:

02mingryGT
01-10-2008, 08:45 AM
A lot of good replies to this. I think you will see it at places like McDonald's and Applebee's, etc etc. But probably not at a high end restaurant. What you'll get there is a robot....lol. And you still will need the server to bring your food out to you......for now. They'll probably have a robot for that as well. Like the one they have that sweeps your floor.

Society will decide what is too much in any case. If people refuse to frequent places with this kind of "service" then it will fail miserably. I don't see that happening though. All of this, IMO, is a result of two things. One is man's innate desire to invent things and make money with it. :lol: Second is "Lean Management" which in layman's terms means "Less people more work". Take my new job. I not only schedule the production but I am also responsible for raw material inventory. I couldn't do both if it wasn't for technology. Nor would I still have the time to post while I'm at work. :lol: