Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anyone get good deals on Dynamat Brand products? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get good deals on Dynamat Brand products?

Kevin Doe
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
I know where I can buy it fairly cheap on the net, aka, amazon.com, but I'm thinking someone local might have a better deal for me (aka an employee or something).

I'm looking to quiet my car down significantly. The interior is just way too loud. I put down Dynamat Extreme, and that helped a lot, but I'm looking for more sound deadening. I'm looking at the dynaliner and dynapad products. I know dynamat is a local company, so I thought someone might be able to get me a good deal on some products. Let me know, thanks.

IWRBB? (I saw your thread about it, very nice, do you work there?)

Kevin

IWRBB
01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Sorry, I don't work there. I got all my stuff from Ebay and Cardomain.com

02mingryGT
01-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Kevin,

I used to work there. FYI, there are no "deals" aka lower pricing for specific Dynamat dealers. By contract every Dynamat dealer must sell at a set price. If they are found to be selling lower than the set price they can have there license to sell Dynamat revoked. Also beware that sound deadener that is being sold on Ebay as "Dynamat" is not Dynamat. Dynamat has become the generic name for sound deadening. So even though it may be advertised as Dynamat it more than likely is not. It is possible to get "sponsored" by Dynamat where for the price of advertising the fact that you are using their product you can get either free material or significantly reduced pricing. That however is usually reserved for show vehicles or car audio competitors. I can shoot you a pm with who you need to talk to at Dynamat if you want to give that a try.
In your case you would need to use Dynaliner in the doors and Dynapad on the floor. I have the pad on my floor and it works great. The only drawback is it weighs about 1lb per sq ft. You may also want to try E.A.R. and see if you can buy product from them. They are the ones who actually manufacture the pad and liner I believe. They are the same people who make the ear plugs.

P.S. I'm sure someone will chime in eventually with the thinking that you can get some other product as Dynamat(cheaper) and it works as well as actual Dynamat. Don't believe the hype.

IWRBB
01-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, since you mentioned it, I will say that the Second Skin Damplifier Pro is the same stuff as Dynamat Extreme, and cheaper too. I used about 50% of each on my car, they are identical. I did like the Dynamat slightly better though, as the SS had a 1/4" strip of foil along one edge that had no butyl. The SS is shipped/packaged better though, it's not folded over and creased like Dynamat is for the big sheets. If I did it again, I'd go with the SS Damplifier Pro stuff for the butyl/foil part of the job.

Sharad
01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
We've actually switched to Hushmat, and like it better... but I am a dynamat dealer and I aint skeered of getting my "license revoked" if I give a stangbanger and good deal...

I think I've got some of the hoodliner here. I'll check it out and post back in this thread.

facemelter71
01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Kevin,ill get you a price.I know some one.

02mingryGT
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
We've actually switched to Hushmat, and like it better... but I am a dynamat dealer and I aint skeered of getting my "license revoked" if I give a stangbanger and good deal...

I think I've got some of the hoodliner here. I'll check it out and post back in this thread.

They wouldn't catch you unless you advertised it. To be honest they only look for authorized dealers selling on ebay so the only way you would get caught is if you did that or advertised a lower price that another dealer would see and cry about it to Dynamic Control.

He's not wanting hoodliner he wants Dynaliner or Dynapad. I would recommend both. Hoodliner is basically useless as it only for the most part reflects heat back into the engine bay. Not a big deal on a N/A car but wouldn't use it on a FI car. Hoodliner is mainly to protect the paint on your hood but as I stated the drawback is an increased engine bay temperature.

And as I have stated before on many message boards, feel free to use whatever brand you'd like. They all work to some degree but they do not work as well as Dynamat. The closest competitor damps half the sound as Dynamat Extreme. Like a lot of things in the aftermarket world it is up to you as the consumer to pit the quality/performance against the price/need.

PaulFiveOh
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Any one who works at BestBuy gets it @ cost which if I remember correctly, would be about 75% OFF of retail for that particular product.

IWRBB
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
They all work to some degree but they do not work as well as Dynamat. The closest competitor damps half the sound as Dynamat Extreme. Like a lot of things in the aftermarket world it is up to you as the consumer to pit the quality/performance against the price/need.

I don't want to be "that guy", but, I don't agree.

I checked out this site prior to buying the SS Pro stuff.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

It seemed to be good stuff, so I tried it. This was after 160 SF of Dynamat X had already been installed in the car.

After installing a BUNCH more of both products, there's no way in hell there is any difference between them. They look the same, smell the same, feel the same, weigh the same, and install the same. They are both 100% butyl with a foil backing. Both the foil and butyl are the same thickness, so what else is there? Is it the Dynamat logo that's the key? Is the butyl different? I'm pretty sure butyl is butyl and aluminum foil is aluminum foil, no matter who layers them together.

I believe they are 100% the same thing, one just costs more due to advertising, a fancy box and sponsorships. Everyone has heard of Dynamat, no one has heard of Second Skin. The Dynamat came on a thick box, glued shut, with all kinds of pretty colors printed on it. The SS came in a brown cardboard box. Dynamat dealers sponsors snotty ricer kids in car shows, SS doesn't have dealers. Dynamat sells through dealers which have a markup, SS sells directly to the customer. I think the price is really the only difference between the two.

I will give you the fact that the cheaper non-butyl mats (filler based stuff) is inferior, but I challenge you to come up with anything that shows Dynamat Extreme is better than SS Pro.

My .02...

Sharad
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
i agree... I just didn't want to be "that guy"

02mingryGT
01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't want to be "that guy", but, I don't agree.

I checked out this site prior to buying the SS Pro stuff.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

It seemed to be good stuff, so I tried it. This was after 160 SF of Dynamat X had already been installed in the car.

After installing a BUNCH more of both products, there's no way in hell there is any difference between them. They look the same, smell the same, feel the same, weigh the same, and install the same. They are both 100% butyl with a foil backing. Both the foil and butyl are the same thickness, so what else is there? Is it the Dynamat logo that's the key? Is the butyl different? I'm pretty sure butyl is butyl and aluminum foil is aluminum foil, no matter who layers them together.

I believe they are 100% the same thing, one just costs more due to advertising, a fancy box and sponsorships. Everyone has heard of Dynamat, no one has heard of Second Skin. The Dynamat came on a thick box, glued shut, with all kinds of pretty colors printed on it. The SS came in a brown cardboard box. Dynamat dealers sponsors snotty ricer kids in car shows, SS doesn't have dealers. Dynamat sells through dealers which have a markup, SS sells directly to the customer. I think the price is really the only difference between the two.

I will give you the fact that the cheaper non-butyl mats (filler based stuff) is inferior, but I challenge you to come up with anything that shows Dynamat Extreme is better than SS Pro.

My .02...

Your .02 cents is now worth a negative amount. If you read the often quoted and misrepresented sound deadener showdown website then you would have noticed the disclaimer that says none of the test were scientific. I can guarantee you it isn't the same product and let me enlighten you why they are not. Fact #1: they may both be butyl but it is the chemical makeup of that butyl that makes the dampening effect work better or worse. In effect just like steel. Some steel is better than others. Fact #2: Dynamat buys their Extreme from a company called Eftec. Here's the website:

http://www.eftec.ch/

The have a clause in that contract that PROHIBITS Eftec from selling the Dynamat Extreme sound deadener to any other competitor. The butyl itself is patented by both Scott Whitaker and Eftec. Your presumptions are off base. As I stated above all steel is not the same so all aluminum foil as well is not the same. I would bet that they don't use the same thickness of foil but I don't know that for a fact. Your aluminum foil claim is funny considering all the different makes of household aluminum foil.
All you have to back your claim up is an opinion not facts. I will do my best to contact a guy I know and have him send me the actual data from test Dynamat runs from an independent lab. I can't guarantee that I will be able to get that data but I will try. It might be a few days because he's probably at CES this week(another news flash for you, Dynamat also makes(sells/markets as their own) home sound deadening products). I do understand your feeling about wanting to prove that you bought some stuff that's just as good as a higher priced product. I go through the same thing with my Patriot heads. I believe they are as good if not better than some of the higher priced competitors in that market. So I understand people don't like to be told they bought an inferior product.

Dynamat sponsors mainly the car audio crowd which sadly includes a lot of wiggers and ricers. They were trying to branch out into more of the older hotrod crowd and have had success in doing that (Overhaulin and Rides). But they are limited in their potential customer base because of the fact the product adds weight. And most people don't want that.

And so you know I don't work there anymore. I think the owner is a douche who promised me a bunch of stuff and when he fucked up I got laid off. I was hired to make custom sound deadening kits. In other words we would bring cars in and I would remove the interiors and measure out the different door panels and floor pans. I would then put those in Cad and then transfer them to the cutting machines software and then cut templates to test fit. After that I would then cut them out of actual material. This would have eliminated the customer from having to cut anything themselves. He managed to do some stupid shit which I'm not going to get into here and got a cease and desist. But as you can see regardless of my personal feelings towards the dick he markets a superior product.
Dynamat is definitely overpriced. But a lot of that is on the dealer side. They buy a bulk pack(32 sq ft) for anywhere between 105-125 or so. And that would depend on whatever stupid dealer BS plan they are involved in(Sharad can probably back me up on that). They then sell it for whatever the going price is now, 249.00? The prices on the material for Dynamat was about .75 a sq ft when I was there. Do the math.
And not to piss you off or anything but you know a lot less than you think you do about this product or it's attributes. Just because you installed it doesn't make you an expert. My guess is you could have gotten away with using a foam based deadener(Dynaliner or Dynapad) rather that all the butyl based deadener you have used. That would have cut your weight and installation time and given you better results.

02mingryGT
01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
i agree... I just didn't want to be "that guy"

Well then include yourself as well....lol. Hey I know dealing with them as a dealer is a pain in the ass. But that's mainly due to Beth M. I would find it hard to believe that your markup profit is less on Dynamat though. I mean that shit's like rape.

IWRBB
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Wow, where to start on that...

I fully know the "showdown website" was not scientific. It's just some guy that did tests at his house. It's wasn't done in a lab, but it has simple, common sense tests of the products. Stick it on something and see how well it holds on when it gets hot. The site had enough info to tell me if a product is all hype or not. My first hand knowledge of both installing it AND "using it" for the last year (in other applications as well) leads me to my opinion on the products. I never said I was an expert on Dynamat, did I?

Good info on the makeup of the butyl. That can be the only way they could really differ, which is why I asked about it. Since the foil is not a strutural member here, it's only there to pull heat from the butyl which came from the vibration energy, I'm not too concerned about the alloy chosen.

I'll accept your claim the butyl is different, but, different and patented doesn't guarantee better. I still highly doubt that Dynamat is any better from a performance standpoint. I still challenge you to show me anything that proves Dynamat is better. Any quantitative test of the 2 that shows Dynamat Extreme is better than SS Pro will do.

FYI, I put Dynaliner over the top of the Dynamat. So I have both installed. Dynaliner or Dynapad by itself wasn't going to stop the severe resonance from the Borla stingers, the whole interior of the car used to vibrate non-stop. Weight wasn't a big deal, the car has nearly 600 HP, plus it has lightweight seats, lightweight wheels, rear seat delete, no jack or spare, blah blah. It's still lighter than stock, even with the Dynamat. It runs mid 11's at 124MPH on 17" drag radials, and does it on pump gas. I'm happy with the car and happy with all of the products I installed, both the Dynamat and the Second Skin.

02mingryGT
01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
FYI, I put Dynaliner over the top of the Dynamat. So I have both installed. the whole interior of the car used to vibrate non-stop. Weight wasn't a big deal, the car has nearly 600 HP, plus it has lightweight seats, lightweight wheels, rear seat delete, no jack or spare, blah blah. It's still lighter than stock, even with the Dynamat. It runs mid 11's at 124MPH on 17" drag radials, and does it on pump gas. I'm happy with the car and happy with all of the products I installed, both the Dynamat and the Second Skin.[/QUOTE]

I fully know the "showdown website" was not scientific. It's just some guy that did tests at his house. It's wasn't done in a lab, but it has simple, common sense tests of the products. Stick it on something and see how well it holds on when it gets hot. The site had enough info to tell me if a product is all hype or not. My first hand knowledge of both installing it AND "using it" for the last year (in other applications as well) leads me to my opinion on the products. I never said I was an expert on Dynamat, did I?

So the test means nothing as I said. And who the hell knows who that guy works for. It is the Internet after all. And you came off as an expert by stating the butyl and foil "had" to be the same. So you may not have meant to but it sounded like from what you wrote that you believed you knew how these products are manufactured or was at least told how they were. I am sorry if I came off as a smart ass.

Good info on the makeup of the butyl. That can be the only way they could really differ, which is why I asked about it. Since the foil is not a strutural member here, it's only there to pull heat from the butyl which came from the vibration energy, I'm not too concerned about the alloy chosen.

I'll accept your claim the butyl is different, but, different and patented doesn't guarantee better. I still highly doubt that Dynamat is any better from a performance standpoint. I still challenge you to show me anything that proves Dynamat is better. Any quantitative test of the 2 that shows Dynamat Extreme is better than SS Pro will do.

No it doesn't mean it's better. Like I said the guy I need to talk to is probably at CES in Las Vegas. Actually it runs the 7th thru the 10th so I'll try him when I get home. I do know, and you can take it for what's worth, that the closest competitor performance wise when the testing I saw about a 1 1/2 ago was Brownbread. About 10 or so different competitors material was tested including a couple from Japan. I do not know if SS was tested. But I would think if they were in business then it was tested.

Dynaliner or Dynapad by itself wasn't going to stop the severe resonance from the Borla stingers,

I agree. The Dynapad would do better though since it has the 1/8" vinyl running in the middle of it. Your car sounds badass. And I'm not trying to dog you for using the Second skin. You, as I stated earlier, made a decision to use another product that was more cost effective in your mind. Look if I hadn't worked there and basically gotten all my stuff for free I may have went the same route. I still have some but if I run out I'll look at some other stuff. It is way over-priced but it's his company. Part of the reason he is so high is that he knows from the testing he pays for he doesn't have any real competition in the place where it counts which is audiophiles(competitions ect). I'll update when I can.

mustangboy
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Just out of curiosity do you guys know how good the Fiberglass Evercoat multipurpose repair panels are? They are a butyl/foil combo and was just wondering if anyone has tried these. I laid some down in my car because I got them for free:bigthumb. Just curious at how good they are.

Kevin Doe
01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I ended up buying it from some place on the net. Thanks to all who replied with relavent information. ;) hahaha

IEATLT1
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
if you got a good deal and can repeat let me know I've got my car stripped down now..

Kevin Doe
01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Anyone can get the deal. PM me, it might be below dynamats "pricing requirement"

Mista Bone
01-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Just out of curiosity do you guys know how good the Fiberglass Evercoat multipurpose repair panels are? They are a butyl/foil combo and was just wondering if anyone has tried these. I laid some down in my car because I got them for free:bigthumb. Just curious at how good they are.

if its anything like the old 12"x12" pieces, didn't sticker very well.

CA&E did a test back in 1991 with Dynamat and FE, my ex's second husband worked on Cornell. I used to get sound deadening pieces that broke, still have some. He'd also get me 1 gallon containers of Marine resin that went dented.

The fumes fried his brain, you'd think Don was a lifelong stoner.