Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Do you think the price of diesel trucks will go down due to fuel cost? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the price of diesel trucks will go down due to fuel cost?

92StangMan
12-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Just curious...

Jeff88coupe
12-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Nope....demand for them is still high. They sell well for the big 3.

dedpedal
12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
True, but with them cranking them out at record numbers, I think the price on used ones will come down some in the near future.

Brandon Alsept
12-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually I think you will see a price drop next year. The price of diesel keeps going up so people will start looking to gas trucks shortly once diesel gets to a steady $3.50@gallon it will not make sense for people to buy a truck that will cost them nearly .50$ a gallon. Then you will see the prices for trucks shift some I believe.

mustangboy
12-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah price of diesel may be more but remember a truck to truck a diesel is going to get 6-10mpg better economy. Also diesels make a ton more power and if maintained will run damn near forever. So really I don't forsee the price of diesels coming down.

Ranger50
12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I've looked at the trader mags and new diesel trucks overall are selling at a lower price then a few years ago. I've seen 07/08 Dodge 4x4's selling for near gasser prices.

You will see more gas rigs on the road for two reasons: fuel price and the lower mileage out of the new diesels becasue of the regeneration mode. Thank you you cacksukers @ the EPA.

Brian

Timido
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I think the prices on all trucks will go down. Even at $3.00 a gallon a gas truck takes so much money to drive it makes you sick.

bangingears
12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I just bought a used dodge diesel, and and they are still selling for top dollar. They still have a huge market, cause 9 out of 10 trucks I called on were already sold, even well above KBB or NADA. If people are going to buy a full size truck the gasser's are getting between 7-12 mpg and the diesels, dodge's are getting 18-21 and the fords are at 13-17mpg. It was kind of a easy decision for me. Diesel was down to 2.60-2.80 earlier is summer now its at 3.30-3.50, even the red off-road is at $3.20. The newer trucks though are getting really bad numbers due to the new ULSD fuels and those fancy exhausts trying to keep the smog nazi's happy.

mustanginky
12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
i dont forsee the price dropping b/c of fuel economy. they still get a good deal better fuel mileage, even if it costs more. and people that buy diesels usually haul stuff (tractors, skid steer loaders, etc...) and a gas truck just can't do what a diesel can. plus their selling them like crazy too.

Katmandu
12-24-2007, 10:01 AM
You will see more gas rigs on the road for two reasons: fuel price and the lower mileage out of the new diesels becasue of the regeneration mode. Thank you you cacksukers @ the EPA.The price gap between gasoline and diesel is very volatile. One can bet it will not stay where it is.

Diesel fuel mileage has not suffered due to the new EPA requirements due to contrary beliefs.

Diesel engines typically achieve 33% Higher fuel economy than gasoline engines. My 7500lb 4x4 Dodge Cummins gets 22MPG! :bigthumb

Check out this Dodge 3500 Dually w/Cummins diesel doing DONUTS !!

http://video.thedieselgarage.com/video/wm/C390B3FA-076A-4214-9311-D73F3E54D345.htm

Katmandu
12-24-2007, 10:57 AM
You will see more gas rigs on the road for two reasons: fuel price and the lower mileage out of the new diesels becasue of the regeneration mode. Thank you you cacksukers @ the EPA.The price gap between gasoline and diesel is very volatile. One can bet it will not stay where it is.

Diesel fuel mileage has not suffered due to the new EPA requirements due to contrary beliefs.

Diesel engines typically achieve 33% Higher fuel economy than gasoline engines. My 7500lb 4x4 Dodge Cummins gets 22MPG! :bigthumb

Check it out... http://katmanduonline.net/pics/98_Ram/

Check out this Dodge 3500 Dually w/Cummins diesel doing a 3rd gear burnout !!

http://video.thedieselgarage.com/video/wm/C390B3FA-076A-4214-9311-D73F3E54D345.htm

Katmandu
12-24-2007, 10:57 AM

shep
12-24-2007, 01:57 PM
The reason they are expensive and hold their price is, given they have been properly taken care of, they last almost 2 times longer than a regular truck, with very little loss in power. The price of the fuel I don’t think has anything to do with the price of the truck, it’s the price of the manufacturing that I feel determines the price of the truck. when they trucks start to go cheaper, yeah they might of found a better way to produced it, but they also cut the cost someplace else, whether that is the material its made of or speed its produced is one upped (normally quality goes one down). So no I don’t think the price of the fuel has anything to do with it. It might compel some people to sell if they don’t use it for what its made for, but normally people buy a diesel for a reason and that’s power and the longer more reliable life over a gasser. That’s my 2 cents though.....

Katmandu
12-24-2007, 04:47 PM
The reason they are expensive and hold their price is, given they have been properly taken care of, they last almost 2 times longer than a regular truck, with very little loss in power. 3-4 times longer Shep. Gassers service life is around 150,000. Cummins Service life is 650,000 miles. I'm sure the Duramax and PowerStroke have similar service life's.

BTW, here's the video of the Dodge Ram 3500 w/Cummins doing DONUTS!! :eek: Doubtful you'll ever see a gasser dually doing that!
http://video.thedieselgarage.com/video/895db8c8-203a-4380-ad85-971ca04b2352.htm

fastone
12-24-2007, 08:26 PM
The price gap between gasoline and diesel is very volatile. One can bet it will not stay where it is.

Check it out... http://katmanduonline.net/pics/98_Ram/

Check out this Dodge 3500 Dually w/Cummins diesel doing a 3rd gear burnout !!

I dont know whats up with your Dodge, but I have a powerstroke with a few very minor mods, if i drive like a little good boy without getting into the turbo much, I get about 25-30mpg, now with this new crap diesel, I fell to 20mpg and ford says to put a fuel additive in to help out the fuel pumps, ford depends on the sulfur alot to lube the fuel pumps!!! And my truck weights in just a hair over 8900 pounds!

And as for the price coming down, will not happen anytime soon! The big three are making a killing on diesels! Trust me on this one, I got mine in 2004 on the "A" plan, and when all was said and done, it was +14 grand off sticker......??????

bangingears
12-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I dont know whats up with your Dodge, but I have a powerstroke with a few very minor mods, if i drive like a little good boy without getting into the turbo much, I get about 25-30mpg, now with this new crap diesel, I fell to 20mpg and ford says to put a fuel additive in to help out the fuel pumps, ford depends on the sulfur alot to lube the fuel pumps!!! And my truck weights in just a hair over 8900 pounds!

And as for the price coming down, will not happen anytime soon! The big three are making a killing on diesels! Trust me on this one, I got mine in 2004 on the "A" plan, and when all was said and done, it was +14 grand off sticker......??????

I have never seen a ford get anywhere even remotely close to 25-30mpg out of a powerstroke. From the older non-turbo 7.3l, 7.3 turbo, 6.0l or the new twin set-up. The dodge guys put 2-stroke oil in the tanks to lube the fuel pumps because vp-44's run in the $1000-2000 range. The newer ulsd fuel is harder on all diesels.

Timido
12-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Best my Dad got was about 20mpg in a 2001 P-Stroke 2wd reg cab long bed. 65mpg on the highway on a trip.

Katmandu
12-25-2007, 06:01 AM
I dont know whats up with your Dodge, but I have a powerstroke with a few very minor mods, if i drive like a little good boy without getting into the turbo much, I get about 25-30mpg, now with this new crap diesel, I fell to 20mpg That MPG is not typical for diesel PU trucks. Are you forgetting to compensate your odometer for larger tires perhaps ?

My Ram's MPG was unchanged with the switch over to ULSD. Just less smoke on my RR wheel!

and ford says to put a fuel additive in to help out the fuel pumps, ford depends on the sulfur alot to lube the fuel pumps!!!
Don't have to worry about pump lube here. The P7100 pump is not lubricated internally.

thrillrr
12-25-2007, 08:04 AM
My 03 6.0 gets 17.5 no change since they went to ulsd....
Wait till summer and the fuel price will drop below gas prices...Diesel prices run higher in the winter ,because of the increased fuel oil production and the winter additives.

Timido
12-25-2007, 10:02 AM
And because heating oil or Kerosene is in higher demand in the winter. When I bought my truck I couldnt find a diesel Excursion that was anywhere close to the price of the gas ones.

Katmandu
12-25-2007, 12:38 PM
And because heating oil or Kerosene is in higher demand in the winter. When I bought my truck I couldnt find a diesel Excursion that was anywhere close to the price of the gas ones.You got a diesel Excursion ?

Not very many of those were ever made! :eek:

Katmandu
12-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Speaking of diesel vehicles....check this out !!

“Sidewinder Type-D” twin-turbo hit 165.5 mph in the quarter-mile with an elapsed time of only 8.216 seconds.

http://www.dieselforum.org/california-corner/

Here's some great articles on diesels as well.

http://www.dieselforum.org/technology-spotlight/auto-show-announcements/

Katmandu
12-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Here's a better article with a Video of that truck.

http://www.bankspower.com/DMaxTypeD-Oct07.cfm

Timido
12-25-2007, 01:26 PM
You got a diesel Excursion ?

Not very many of those were ever made! :eek:

Nope mine burns gas. 90% of the diesel ones I found were 10k more than I wanted to spend. I use mine when I need it for towing, 4x4 bad snow, or just need to haul stuff. I dont put a bunch of miles on it so the MPG doesnt kill me and I dont tow much more than 6000 pounds. I couldnt justify the added initall cost of the diesel when I bought mine.

93cobra
12-25-2007, 04:15 PM
diesel trucks will not come down in price! the demand is so high & most the people who buy them will continue to buy them even if fuel hit $3.75. we've bought several new f350s to f550s with powerstrokes since the early 90's & they go up every year. Gasoline trucks cannot replace them performance wise. we have f450 & f550s with utility beds, that weigh 14K without any material loaded or trailers behind them. we had 1 v10 in 99 which got 6 miles per gallon & didn't have near the performance especially torque wise. (no resale value either).

i don't know what you guys are doing with the big MPG claims....(must be running down the hwy in the middle of Kansas empty bed at 55mph) (or going by what your little gauge is telling you inside the truck). I've always heard big MPG claims & wonder if anyone ever fills up runs down the road, replaces it, then does their math. even our single cabs with 3.73 rears only get upper teens on a empty hwy trip. pulling anything or just running 75mph will put you back at 10-14 MPG...all the toys available from banks, edge, bully dog ....etcc....we've used them & they help performance but never MPG.

Katmandu
12-25-2007, 04:42 PM
i don't know what you guys are doing with the big MPG claims....(must be running down the hwy in the middle of Kansas empty bed at 55mph) (or going by what your little gauge is telling you inside the truck). I've always heard big MPG claims & wonder if anyone ever fills up runs down the road, replaces it, then does their math. even our single cabs with 3.73 rears only get upper teens on a empty hwy trip.Mine Dodge is running 3.54 gears. Don't have an EVIC (inside MPG gauge).

Been tracking my fuel usage for (2) years now using this website.

http://daytongasprices.com/Logbook_Expense_Records.aspx

There's a fuel log/expense record keeper on www.CincyGasPrices.com as well.

93cobra
12-25-2007, 09:48 PM
3.54 gear helps explain better mpg. so what do you get with that? probably dosen't do too well pulling say even a 28' enclosed with car etc.. (mpg wise) huh. even 3.73 vs 4.10 require downshift to maintain decent speed on grades etc

Katmandu
12-26-2007, 12:41 AM
3.54 gear helps explain better mpg. so what do you get with that? probably dosen't do too well pulling say even a 28' enclosed with car etc.. (mpg wise) huh. even 3.73 vs 4.10 require downshift to maintain decent speed on grades etcI don't do any pulling with it, so I don't know what the MPG would be towing. I mainly just use it as a commuter UAV. (Urban Assault Vehicle). :cool2:

Although, the PO did pull a 5th wheel with it on a regular basis.

Just by their nature, inline 6 diesels have very high torque output in the lower RPM ranges. More so typically than V8 diesels.

Katmandu
12-26-2007, 12:45 AM
FYI, Ford F150s are due to get a 3.6L V8 Diesel engine in 2009. :bigthumb

GM and Dodge is are due to put small V8 Diesels in their light pickups in 2010.

Check out this article.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/FREE/61009011/1024/LATESTNEWS

Hopefully, these diesel engines will NOT carry a hefty premium like they currently are. Diesel engines have less moving parts than gassers so they "should" cost less to manufacture. :rolleyes: It's all supply and demand though. :rolleyes:

shep
12-26-2007, 01:32 AM
would be curious to see if International or Isuzu
would come up with an inline 6, how it would compare to the cummins.....

Katmandu
12-26-2007, 01:42 AM
would be curious to see if International or Isuzu
would come up with an inline 6, how it would compare to the cummins.....I wish all the manufactures would use inline 6 diesels.

V8 diesels just don't sound right IMHO. Always sound like they getting ready to explode! :eek: Forget about open exhaust on them as well.

thrillrr
12-26-2007, 07:39 AM
In about 7 more months Ford is going to it own 6.7 diesel engine.

Jeff88coupe
12-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I love my '05 duramax. Has plenty of power to tow anything I've put behind it. Gets ~18mpg empty..and ~14.5mpg towing ~5K#'s.

Katmandu
12-27-2007, 01:51 AM
In about 7 more months Ford is going to it own 6.7 diesel engine.Yea, with the OEM twin turbo going on! :eek: :cool2:

Carl
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a my 7.3 chipped, 4" pipes, and AFE intake getting 14-16 in town and over 18 on the hwy. I haven't really pulled with it yet but I don't expect a huge decrease in the mileage. I don't care what the price of diesel gets to...the power and increased mileage over a gasser of the same size makes up the difference.

The ULSD doesn't have the power the LSD had but still has the same lubricity. A lot of people are getting scammed by the dealers saying they need to add some sort of additive. I usually don't have not noticed a difference yet.

Oh yeah...and the 08 Super Duties mielage are complete crap! On one of the PSD boards I frequent, most 08 owners are getting 10-12 at best. That's on the hwy unloaded. The regen and emissions are killing them the diesels now.