Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
How come people in the Cincy area do not have a sense of humour? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How come people in the Cincy area do not have a sense of humour?

92StangMan
12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I've only been living here for about 3 months and have noticed one thing -- many people do not have a sense of humour. This is something that I've slowly came to realize and kind of kept it to myself until I mentioned it to a client of mine about a week ago who recently moved here. She agreed with me 100% and quite a few of others have agreed too.

It's a big change to move from an area where everyone jokes to an area where everyone is serious. Some of the people I work with are straight business-oriented and never joke. If I say something, I get the "Is this guy being serious?" look as if they do not know what sarcasm is or how to laugh.

Why is that?

Black Horse
12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
You are obviously working on the wrong side of town ~lol~

PaulFiveOh
12-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Apparently we are all rich and stuck up where I come from.

On that note: Are you serious?

92StangMan
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm being dead serious.

This is in no way of saying people are dicks here in Cincy (not offending the board, either, as I've not met anyone off of it) but when you ask ~15 people and everyone of them gives the same reply and it correlates with how you feel and what you've seen, it sends the message home. Everyone is seemingly nice, just not real open to the "outsiders" and do not like to joke.

PaulFiveOh
12-13-2007, 10:22 PM
No worries at all man, I don't have a lot of perspective being that I'm 19 and lived in Cincinnati all my life

Katmandu
12-14-2007, 01:15 AM
It's a big change to move from an area where everyone jokes to an area where everyone is serious. You're from Pittsburgh aren't you ? :punch: :lol: :lol: :lol:

95redstang
12-14-2007, 01:22 AM
There are a ton of people on here with a sense of humor...Catch me,Ricky(331twistedwedge), and his brother a tristate or e20 one day..I will assure you that you will laugh your ass off... Rick is nuts!!! Sometimes I go home with my stomach hurting from laughing so much..

Xuzhu
12-14-2007, 03:18 AM
My ex came from Boston, and she simply did not understand mine nor my friends humor. It's her fault, obviously.

Katmandu
12-14-2007, 09:47 AM
My ex came from Boston, and she simply did not understand mine nor my friends humor. It's her fault, obviously. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holly
12-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I've only been living here for about 3 months and have noticed one thing -- many people do not have a sense of humour.

Sounds like you are hanging out with the wrong people!

I have a very "dry" sense of humor, you either get me, or you don't. One of my bosses used to get very offended (pissed off) at some of the cracks I would make towards him. FINALLY, he understands, and jokes right back with me, which is one of the reasons I love my job. I could not ask for better attorneys to work for (okay, I'm a little sentimental towards them today because they just gave me a kick ass Christmas bonus, 5% of my salary!).

Vinny probably had the best sense of humor of anyone I have ever met. I know he cracked a lot of you up, but just imagine that 24/7, at home, when you wake up in the morning, etc. He kept me smiling, that's for sure. ;)

Blacksunshine
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Nope, I agree with this guy. We have alot of very nice people on this board and there are a ton around the Tri State area .However, I grew up in California and Hawaii ,and folks there are way more open to you when you first meet. They just seem way nicer and are way less judgemental. As far as joking around? Don't get me on a microphone because I turn into a white Richard Pryor on the roids..lol
Look at this way ,people are dicks....some of us just happen to be less of a dick ....
Later dude.....keep laughing it lowers your stress level !

John

IWRBB
12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Humour? What are you, British or something?

I hate to tell ya, but it's the people you work with and hang out with.

We crack on each other at work ALL DAY. Everyone is a cut-up and has great stuff everyday.

Some people just aren't like that though. A good example, I was at the track with a not really close friend of mine. He was watching his brother run his vehicle down the track. He said "I hope he doen't make me look stupid" (meaning drive it slow and people would think that's him) - I said, "You don't need him to make you look stupid". It was an automatic response after years of talking smack at work, I didn't even think about it, I just said it. He got all pissed off and wanted to fight. He later said he was still pissed from a comment I made a month or so earlier when they had taken all this stuff off the vehicle to run it. They were putting it all back on and I jokingly said "You took all that off and still only ran a xx.xx?"

He took both of the offhand comments seriously, thinking I was dogging his shit since my car was faster. I'm like, c'mon man, I'd say the same crap if you were a second faster.. It's a JOKE! I was just talking some smack to here a good comeback from you! I think his vehicle is nice and plenty fast. He said "I'm just here for fun, if you want to be all serious about racing blah blah..." He had no sense of humor about it at all. I've pretty much avoided that group since.

mustang8998
12-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I've only been living here for about 3 months and have noticed one thing -- many people do not have a sense of humour. This is something that I've slowly came to realize and kind of kept it to myself until I mentioned it to a client of mine about a week ago who recently moved here. She agreed with me 100% and quite a few of others have agreed too.

It's a big change to move from an area where everyone jokes to an area where everyone is serious. Some of the people I work with are straight business-oriented and never joke. If I say something, I get the "Is this guy being serious?" look as if they do not know what sarcasm is or how to laugh.

Why is that?

So, where did you come from and what brought you here?

I'll agree with the others, that have said "you just haven't met the right people". I have a blast here. I've traveled all around this country and people really don't seem that different, to me. Now moving to a small town, can be a little more challenging. The town where everyone knows everyone else. It takes these people awhile, to get to know you.

Mista Bone
12-14-2007, 04:27 PM
some people just don't get the sarcasm or gutter thoughts.

Helping the girl who bought my Trans Am move, she wanted to put up a key rack by the front door. Not thinking it was right below the 3 light switches. I suggested it's not a good idea.

"Screw you, I wanna drill!"

That wasted a good 10 minutes laughing.

IWRBB, I'd said the exact same thing you did, as would Kevin towards me or anyone else.

http://www.fatherdan.com/images/blog/stupidity.gif

IWRBB
12-14-2007, 04:53 PM
IWRBB, I'd said the exact same thing you did, as would Kevin towards me or anyone else.

Yeah, him getting all upset about it really caught me off guard. Most people I know would have just laughed..

Greg Seibert
12-14-2007, 07:23 PM
You know, my Dad (WW-2 Vet, Navy Peral Harbour Sailor) used to say the same thing! He would say, "you know people around here just don't seem too friendly" sometimes.
Even out here in the country, things were a little on the anal retentive side.
Some say the depression, strict religious upbringing, and the war caused some of that behavior, but at least us here on Stangbangerz are "the" crazy wild ones.:bigthumb
Good thing is, when the fun lov'n folks turn up, they do stand out.:D

92StangMan
12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
"So, where did you come from and what brought you here?"

I moved here from Ona, WV (very small town outside of Huntington, WV) and moved away because 2/3rds of the jobs pay $7/hr or less. I just graduated from Marshall this past May and realized it was time to move out because I wasn't going to make that kind of money after earning a degree. My neighbor told me about a personal training job in Cincy that paid much better than what I was getting in H-town, so I drove up for the interview and next thing I knew, 5 weeks later I was moving in.

mustang8998
12-14-2007, 10:34 PM
"So, where did you come from and what brought you here?"

I moved here from Ona, WV (very small town outside of Huntington, WV) and moved away because 2/3rds of the jobs pay $7/hr or less. I just graduated from Marshall this past May and realized it was time to move out because I wasn't going to make that kind of money after earning a degree. My neighbor told me about a personal training job in Cincy that paid much better than what I was getting in H-town, so I drove up for the interview and next thing I knew, 5 weeks later I was moving in.

Well, welcome to the area and relax!

It'll get all gooder soon. You'll meet some of these fine folks and you will see how much fun this bunch can be. ;)

Mista Bone
12-15-2007, 12:29 AM
gooder?

Showing your Hamilltucky side the m8998 :)

I'd call you a redneck, but wouldn't wanna disgrace my family heritage.

92stangman, my moms side is from WVa then moved to Athens, dads side settled in Crooksville OH in the 1850's.

Miners and shine, kept everyone warm and happy.

beefcake
12-15-2007, 08:41 AM
come work here for a day, you'll change your thoughts, lol