Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Diesel question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Diesel question

higgy87
12-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey all,

How can you diagnose if you're wastegate is sticking open?

My truck (95' 7.3L) started making a huge gush of wind sound this morning under decel and very very light throttle. It's not the turbo spooling but sounds like air blowing through the exhaust? The truck does seem to lose power when this is happening, not alot, but its noticable. If I stab the throttle, the sound and loss of power go away. Any ideas!?

I'm not too good w/ this diesel stuff yet, mods include straight exhaust and superchips programmer.

craigels
12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Higgy your truck doesn't have a wastegate.

I am about 99% sure that the problem you are describing is the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) sticking closed. It is in place to warm the truck up quicker when it is cold out. It is located inbetween the turbo and downpipe. There is a butterfly in there that closes when it is really cold out. You can look beneath the turbo for a two wire weather pack connector. UNPLUG IT!!! Unplugging it will cause it to default to the "open" position, which will fix your problem.

If you are still having problems, call me at 859-322-4768

Craig

higgy87
12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Craigels, you're the F'n man! I'll do that first thing in the morning!

Silly me, who knew I didnt have a wastegate!? :o

Thanks again Craig....helpin my poor as out yet again;)

-higgy

craigels
12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't mind helping!

Did it fix your problem?

Craig

4vGT
12-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Higgy your truck doesn't have a wastegate.

I am about 99% sure that the problem you are describing is the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) sticking closed. It is in place to warm the truck up quicker when it is cold out. It is located inbetween the turbo and downpipe. There is a butterfly in there that closes when it is really cold out. You can look beneath the turbo for a two wire weather pack connector. UNPLUG IT!!! Unplugging it will cause it to default to the "open" position, which will fix your problem.

What he said. I noticed my '02 doing the same thing last year. I researched it a little and found out about this valve. Mine wasn't sticking closed when the truck got to operating temp though.

tcorns
12-07-2007, 08:09 AM
becareful when you unplug it. there is a temp sensor tied into that system. i disconnected mine a few years ago and it caused me some issues when the engine was cold.

trev

craigels
12-07-2007, 09:53 AM
becareful when you unplug it. there is a temp sensor tied into that system. i disconnected mine a few years ago and it caused me some issues when the engine was cold.

trev

Your issue was probably caused by something else. Unplugging the EBPV will not cause any ill effects.

Craig

tcorns
12-07-2007, 07:50 PM
the engine looks at the ebpv to help increase temp of the engine when cold at the idle throttle position. it also takes into account the outside air temp and the temp of the oil. when you remove a piece of the system you cause an error. in my case i did get a trouble light and not only a longer time to warm up but i also had a very rough idle until the truck got warm. once warm everything was fine. i chased my problem for a while before i reconnected the ebpv and the problem went away.

trev

craigels
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Every truck we have owned or dealt with has had the EBPV unplugged because it has stuck closed for one reason or another. I assure you that there are NO ill effects in doing this.

Craig