Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
What year Explorer motor? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What year Explorer motor?

Andy
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
On the Explorer motor which years did they have the GT40 intake and heads? Did it have to be 4X4? Were they GT40p or GT40 heads? I am trying to find one. Thanks for the help

black90lx
12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
97-2000 explorers and mountaniers have the gt40p's. gt40p heads will have 4 lines on the front of the heads or by the front head bolt on the passanger side will have GTP, it might be on the drivers side front head bolt i can't remember.

Stangman
12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
You will see GTP by the passenger side front head bolt... like he said, 4 bars cast into the front side of the head, which is easy to see on the passenger's side head, if the valve covers are off... the heads will say GT40P on them , now this is only for the 1998.5 and up heads...

the '96-early '98 heads were the standard '93-'95 Cobra GT40 heads

there were a few different intakes as well... some had the smog provisions in both the upper and the lower intake, some just had the smog in the lower and the upper was blocked off in the casting, and then i THINK that some of the lowers didnt have the smog hole in the middle... but i dont remember...

The explorer's and mountaineers could have been either 2 or 4 wheel drive, doesnt matter, as long as there is a "V8" emblem or a "V8 Four Wheel Drive" emblem on the back of the front fenders....

Make sure you get the throttle body as well if you dont already have a bigger one! :bigthumb

Andy
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the good info guys:bigthumb

black90lx
12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
You will see GTP by the passenger side front head bolt... like he said, 4 bars cast into the front side of the head, which is easy to see on the passenger's side head, if the valve covers are off... the heads will say GT40P on them , now this is only for the 1998.5 and up heads...

the '96-early '98 heads were the standard '93-'95 Cobra GT40 heads

there were a few different intakes as well... some had the smog provisions in both the upper and the lower intake, some just had the smog in the lower and the upper was blocked off in the casting, and then i THINK that some of the lowers didnt have the smog hole in the middle... but i dont remember...

The explorer's and mountaineers could have been either 2 or 4 wheel drive, doesnt matter, as long as there is a "V8" emblem or a "V8 Four Wheel Drive" emblem on the back of the front fenders....

Make sure you get the throttle body as well if you dont already have a bigger one! :bigthumb

i was told 1996 1/2 and up have the gt40p heads.

Stangman
12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
i was told 1996 1/2 and up have the gt40p heads.

nope, 98.5 and up.... if you go to www.car-part.com and select i think it is a 97 explorer it will have the standard 40's and when you jump to a '98 it will ask engine code i do believe... its been a while since ive been on that site.

There is a junkyard out by me that has a '96 with the regular gt40 Cobra's, the "P" engine code in the VIN signifiies the GT40P's. I dont recall the engine code for the older 5.0 gt40 explorers...

tmotorsports
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a 1996 explorer motor in my turbo fairmont and its a GT40P engine.