Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
I rescued a Puppy tonight!! (long post but a must read for the animal folks) [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I rescued a Puppy tonight!! (long post but a must read for the animal folks)

Black92LX
10-17-2007, 01:18 AM
I'll start off by saying that I honestly believe God does many things in our lives for many reasons.
For instance I have been debating the idea of getting another dog and I wanted it to be a rescue.
A couple weeks ago the thought just kind of hit me for no reason. I have got Lilli's health problems under control she is doing great and finally growing out of her puppiness. I have been tossing around the idea so I have looked on a few rescue sites and found a couple I like but nothing came from them.
Well I do believe that tonight was the night and God was working.
I was at work just doing some standard patrol when about 6 people coming flying to the middle of the road flagging me down screaming something about a dog. My first thought is there is a vicious dog running loose.
They are pointing at a little pup. It's clearly a pitbull mix just adorable as can be a brown with brindle girl.
The puppy sees me and runs right up to me and jumps up on me and wants to play.
At that moment I understand why everyone is freaking out. This puppy has a gaping wound wrapping all the way around it's neck yet the pup is not bothered by it at all. I throw on some rubber gloves pick her up and put her in the back of my cruiser and wait for the humane society to arrive.
This little puppy was the sweetest little thing I had ever seen but the wound is by far one of the worst things I have seen at times I honestly thought I was going to cry at horrific this wound was.
I asked if this pup would be able to make it with a wound of this sort. He believed it would but would need medical attention immediatly.
I then knew that if this pup pulls thru I would have to adopt her.
I let the humane society officer know that if this pup becomes adoptable I want to be first on the list.
We exchanged numbers and he was off to the 24 hour emergency clinic with the pup.
I get a call a few hours later from the officer. The wound was from a collar being left on the dog and it never being loosened. He said the wound would heal and the dog would be fine. I made sure that he knew that if she does become adoptable and has no other health problems I would really like to have her.
After work I went over to the emergency clinic and spent some time with her. They removed the collar from her neck (litteraly) the collar had emmbeded into the top portion of the neck 1" and the bottom side of the neck 1.5".
She is the sweetest thing. The nurses say that she will make a great pet that she was excelent for them when they did the IV, cathider, and shaved around her wound. I spent about 20 minutes with this little sweetie and know that if everything turns out alright with her health that I will have my another dog. Ifelt like a little girl, I was having trouble not shedding some tears for this little girl. The vet says shes about 5 to 6 months old. I wanted a little older dog but this just seems right. Once her wounds heal, she has a clean bill of health, and she gets spayed I will be able to adopt her from the humane society.
They asked if I wanted to name her so I chose the name Hydra. I think Lilli and Hydra sounds good.
All the nurses and Humane Society folks said they would call her Hydra from here on out.

Pictures will be forth coming. But if you would please keep Hydra in your thoughts and prayers so maybe she can find herself a good home with Lilli and myself that would be much appreciated.

Mista Bone
10-17-2007, 04:08 AM
congrats on the rescue, shame on the "owners" for leaving it to choke to death.

Having been picking up lab work from vets for the past year, I'll get a "mutt" before anything else.

BTW, which 24 hour place was Hydra checked out at?

Maximus
10-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Great story!! Good luck with the pup.:bigthumb

MrsAPE
10-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Awww. Hydra is in my thoughts. Can't wait for pics.
Amazing story!!
Congrats to you both!

ibstrokin
10-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Awesome, there's nothing like a new pup to lift your spirits.

Black Hole
10-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Good job guy! :bigthumb

Stang 38L
10-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Very very cool thing to do. I love stories like this :)

bestracing
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I've heard stroies like that even seen it on Animal Planet channel where the owners don't take care of their dog and the collar leaves bad wounds on the dog.

Too bad you can't get one of those spiked choke collars and put it on the old owner and yank it a few times.

REDHOTGTGIRL
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Aw, that is really great. I'm glad she will be okay and I hope you get to take her home soon.

DeckerEnt
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Good save. Do you know where she came from? They should get a call from animal control about cruelty. I love animals. Good to hear you are saving one.
Keith

Black92LX
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Good save. Do you know where she came from? They should get a call from animal control about cruelty. I love animals. Good to hear you are saving one.
Keith

I can enforce animal control laws especially cruelty to animal charges.
I have some good leads but that is all I can say since it is still an open criminal investigation:bigthumb

Mista Bone
10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I've heard stroies like that even seen it on Animal Planet channel where the owners don't take care of their dog and the collar leaves bad wounds on the dog.

Too bad you can't get one of those spiked choke collars and put it on the old owner and yank it a few times.

add a little "electric jolt" to get the point across better.

R825OH
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Great Job! love our dogs they are "therapeutic"

Black92LX
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I went and spent a little time with Hydra this evening. She is recovering very very well. She is in ISO at the Humane Society but on the way to a full recovery.

I snapped some pictures on a camera phone it's all I have now just trying to find my cable so I can upload them.

She was great while I was there no barking, whining, or anything. She just played with my girlfriend and I (she approves of Hydra). I did some temprament testing. I tried to piss her off. I tugged on her tail, messed with her teeth, gums, lips, ears but she just kept playing and showed no signs of aggression.

I also gave her a couple biscuts and quickly took them from her. She showed absolutly no fod agression. She also took the biscuts out of my hand very gently with no agression at all.
Everything seems to check out. They have done some vaccines and a couple dewormers but they can't do a full physical to check for things like parvo or more serious disease until she becomes Humane Society property. At this point she is still a stray and the owner has the opportunity to claim her.
We have some decent leads and this has struck up a negelect investigation so it may be awhile before I can actually adopt her if this were to go to court. I would have to wait for the litigations to be finished before she can be mine.
But I get to spend time with her at the Humane Society until we get things worked out. I am trying not to get too attached in case I don't get to adopt her but we will just have to wait and see.

********WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURE IN LINK*********
I am linking a picture of Hydras neck when I found her. It is extremely graphic I don not suggest opening it if you have a weak stomach or have serious problems with animal cruelty.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/DSCF0127.jpg

At the point of the picture her collar is still embedded into her neck. On the top it was embedded 1" and on the bottom 1.5". Jst to give you an idea at how serious this is. The vet said it most likely took 4 months for a wound this severe.

REDHOTGTGIRL
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow, that is incredibly disgusting! That poor dog, I can't imagine what her living conditions were like. I don't understand why people think it is okay to treat animals that way. I really hope she continues to heal and that eventually you get to take her home. Good luck with everything.

MrsAPE
10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
That just makes my blood boil!! So glad you were able to take her to get help. So crossing my fingers it works out for you to adopt her too.

Black92LX
10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics they are all i have right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/10-17-07_1612.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/10-17-07_1613.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/10-17-07_1607.jpg

Mr.Moontang
10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow thats a shame people are so dumb!!! Beautiful pup good luck buddy

95redstang
10-17-2007, 11:06 PM
That's a cool looking pup..We use to have one a little similar..He was a mix of dingo,sharpei and pitbull..He had the sharpei skin problems and the purple dingo tongue. He was the darker brindle..Good luck...

Stang 38L
10-18-2007, 06:53 AM
What a great lookin' dog.

mach_u
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Some people need to be shot. :( Glad to see you helping. That's one cute pup!

cstreu1026
10-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Its a shame the punishment for animal cruelty isn't tougher. People who treat animals like that need to experience a little vigilante justice.

MrsAPE
10-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Aww she's a cutie!!

ihave1sweetride
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Cute pup... Can't wait till we get back from the bahamas in nov... we are going to go adopt/rescue another one.!!

REDHOTGTGIRL
10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Aw, she is really cute!! I hope it all works out well.

rally
10-18-2007, 07:55 PM
yeah we ended up with 3 scottish terriers because people just can't handle pets nor children as far as that goes. good job and good luck and god bless you.