Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Drag Car in Tenn. Parade Hits Crowd, Kills 4 [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Drag Car in Tenn. Parade Hits Crowd, Kills 4

Katmandu
06-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Car in Tenn. Parade Hits Crowd, Kills 4
By WILL YORK
Associated Press Writer

SELMER, Tenn. — A drag-racing vehicle lost control during a parade and spun into a crowd of bystanders Saturday night, killing four adults and injuring up to 15 people, authorities said.

Investigators were trying to determine what caused the vehicle to careen into the crowd at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.

Witness Scott Henley said the vehicle started burning off its tires, then began to fishtail and slammed into a light pole before spinning around into the audience.

Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said, "bodies were flying into the air when it happened."

Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said at least eight people were taken to three hospitals.

The identities of the victims and the driver, or the driver's condition, were not immediately known.

Browning said the vehicle has been described as a drag-racing car, but he did not have more details yet about the vehicle.

Matthew Brammer, administrator of AMS Pro Modified Series, which sanctions drag races, said late Saturday that the car involved has been driven by drag racer Troy Critchley, of Wylie, Texas, but he did not know if Critchley was driving when the car struck the crowd.

The AMS Pro Modified Series later issued a news release that did not identify the driver, but said he was a veteran of more than 20 years in drag racing and had to be taken to the emergency room.

The release said the driver was performing an "exhibition burnout" — spinning the tires to make them heat up and smoke — when road conditions caused the car to lose control, striking a utility pole and then veering into the crowd.

"The race team is in shock and deeply saddened by this unexpected event. Their hearts and prayers are with the injured people and their families," the release said.

Sheriff's officials and police began to close the festival shortly after the accident. About 40,000 to 60,000 people were expected to attend the weekend event.

Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 annually for charities that help children in need, according to its Web site.

The charity was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, suffered a severe head injury in a bicycle accident.

Price promised that if his son was saved from lifelong injuries, he would spend the rest of his life raising funds for disabled children, according to the Web site.

Price could not be reached for comment Saturday night.

Katmandu
06-17-2007, 02:48 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/news/nation-world/061707carshowaccident.html

Mr.Moontang
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow... That is why Vinny wanted to put an end to burnouts at our cruise ins...

DeckerEnt
06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
From the pics in the article, the drag racing car looks like a door slammer with wheelie bars and a chute. Big slicks. This is why we drive our cars to the track and do burn outs. There we have walls to keep us contained. Then again why would you have a car like that doing a burnout at a parade anyway?
Keith

R825OH
06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah whats up with doin a burnout so close to people in that type of expo? Safety first, somebody shoulda been a litttle wiser

Sharad
06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro Mod car in a parade? Bad idea from the start. That is a tragic loss of life.

DeckerEnt
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
3 more people have died. The total is 7. The story now is that the car did a burnout, then sped down the road. It got sideways and hit a utility pole then spun into the crowd that lined the street. There was a guard rail at the end on both sides but the people were probably standing in front of it.
The car was doing an exibition. Such a shame.
Keith

Katmandu
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Then again why would you have a car like that doing a burnout at a parade anyway?
KeithI just can't believe the POOR judgment of the driver to even ATTEMPT to do something like this. :eek:

I heard he was a Veteran driver with (20+) years of Drag racing experience. I believe his last name was Critchley. ??? :confused:

Katmandu
06-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Holy Sh*t!!! Here's the Video !!!!!!

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=ff8edd2d-ef37-4cee-bfa7-6a75fd2354e0&f=00&fg=email

PonymanfiveO
06-17-2007, 06:39 PM
thats horible.

qwk93ta
06-17-2007, 08:11 PM
very sad.....

untamed
06-17-2007, 08:14 PM
What were they thinking? Why in the heck were they doing that on the street with so many people so close by and no walls to protect them. Sad sad story.

DeckerEnt
06-17-2007, 08:40 PM
You can't fix stupid! Very sad.
Keith

nitrous_mike
06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Actually if you watch the vid you can see Larry waving the driver off way before he lost it. This was the first event that I have missed in several years I am sorry for the loss of life and to see something like this to happen not only the families but to kids which Larry has devoted a good deal of his life to help. While the pictures on the Cars for Kids site do not really give the best over all view they do give you and idea of where the burnouts are SUPPOSED to take place there IS a guard rail http://www.carsforkidsusa.org/ . I am sure there will be so many law suits over this they will no longer have this event and will more then likely ruin a good person who has devoted so much life to try and do something good for those who actually need help. But I guess the media will keep on trying to spin this into just a bunch of good ole boys "drag racing" on the side of the road to get their jollies. They do not race at the show, they have a race here at the Jackson track once a year for the event.

I am not trying to get anything going here just trying to clear up what the media has made a mess of, and give some insight to something I have been to several times.

Sharad
06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
that was complete and utter stupidity, plain and simple.

Pro Mods are out of control ON PROPERLY PREPPED TRACKS! ... forget about trying to maneuver one on a public street!

My heart goes out to the people who lost loved ones in that mess.

DeckerEnt
06-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I remember a cruise in where we did burn outs and for some reason, people were going for distance rather than amount of smoke. One guy lost it but only slid into the grass and everyone was able to leap to safety.
It looks like the same thing here. The guy was going for distance.
I say if we ever have them at our cruise ins, we go for tire shredding smoke. No distance. Much safer and better pics.
Just my .02
Keith

Sharad
06-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I hear what you're saying, and I've been guilty of PLENTY of exhibition passes, so to speak... but there's a hell of a lot of difference between a 300hp Mustang and a 3000hp Pro Mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katmandu
06-17-2007, 11:24 PM
But I guess the media will keep on trying to spin this into just a bunch of good ole boys "drag racing" on the side of the road to get their jollies. Let's hope the media gets it right and show this for what it is. It is NOT a drag racing incident!! I was a drag car driver doing a VERY STUPID EXHIBITION burnout in a VERY STUPID place!

Black Hole
06-18-2007, 12:44 AM
This is a sad story and my heart goes out to those who were hurt or killed, but people also need to be smart enough and stand BEHIND the guardrail that was there.

YES.....this is why we no longer have burnout segments at our cruise-in's. It was great when it was only 20 or 50 of us just doing a quick burnout as we left, but now with over 200+ cars and 500+ people at the events and people wanting to "put on a show" by doing 2 and 3 burnouts or not knowing when to "lift" it's just too much of a risk.

Craig may have a "burnout contest" as part of Powerfest though... ;)

DeckerEnt
06-18-2007, 12:56 AM
If the contest happens on the track, I say go for it. But not where something like that can happen. Too risky.
Keith

Gene
06-18-2007, 08:45 AM
That wasn't a "burnout". That was an eighth-mile pass.

That assclown driving that car better be held accountable for it. What kind of stupidity makes someone think that was a good idea? :mad:

beefcake
06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
very sad

BLACKHAWK
06-18-2007, 10:29 AM
the report says there was a guard rail for the first 50 some feet and that where everybody else would stop doing theres, the austrailian dum a$$ decided to ride his out for length past that point. innocent 14-17 yr girls gone. I hope he gets his a$$ handed to him real good.

WTF was he thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REDHOTGTGIRL
06-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I remember a cruise in where we did burn outs and for some reason, people were going for distance rather than amount of smoke. One guy lost it but only slid into the grass and everyone was able to leap to safety.
It looks like the same thing here. The guy was going for distance.
I say if we ever have them at our cruise ins, we go for tire shredding smoke. No distance. Much safer and better pics.
Just my .02
Keith

I was at that cruise and was one of those people who had to jump out of the way because he was headed straight for me. I was in my chair sitting off to the side and wasn't really close to the burnouts, but then people started going for distance. It was really scary! I can't imagine what those people must have felt when that car came at them. It is a very tragic loss and unfortunately one that should not have happened. It is sad that an event that was meant to do good for kids had ended up this way.

2-8-1
06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
The driver needs his license stripped, and thrown in jail. Which, if the police of that town have any sense, will happen, negligent homicide. Thousands of counts of wanton or reckless endangerment, not to mention reckless driving and the other minor moving violations.

what a fucking idiot.

Timido
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
My thoughts to the Familys of the people injured or killed in this accident. It is too bad that a charity for children could be shut down because of this.

nitrous_mike
06-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I just happened across this today.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Press Conference highlights:

Tennessee Attorney General Mike Dunavant stated that no decision has been made regarding criminal charges in this accident.

Tennessee Highway Patrol’s accident reconstruction team requested any video tape and/or photos of the accident to be shared with them. This will help determine what the course of action will be in this case. Anyone with video and photos are encouraged to call 731-421-5035 or 1-800-736-3993 ext. 1.

Selmer Mayor David Robinson expressed his concerns about continuing the car show and parade in years to come. He doesn’t want this accident to affect the Cars for Kids charity car show and parade. Surely, there will be different measures taken in the future, but this event should continue.

Cars for Kids Founder Larry Price coordinated this event with the Selmer Police Dept. The Selmer Police Dept. gave Larry Price approval to have the Pro Mod type cars perform exhibition burn-outs on the streets. The Selmer Police Dept. were in charge of keeping the crowd at a safe distance during the parade. No extra measures were taken this year, even though these cars (Pro Mods) have never performed in the parade before.

Blackballed
06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Just plain sad!!!! Our family's hearts goes out to the men, women, and children who lost their lives.

2-8-1
06-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Cars for Kids Founder Larry Price coordinated this event with the Selmer Police Dept. The Selmer Police Dept. gave Larry Price approval to have the Pro Mod type cars perform exhibition burn-outs on the streets. The Selmer Police Dept. were in charge of keeping the crowd at a safe distance during the parade. No extra measures were taken this year, even though these cars (Pro Mods) have never performed in the parade before.

So, obviously, the right course of action is a slap on the wrist.

bcoh5gt
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Come on. Do you hear yourselves? It is a tragety, it is. But this guy did not just bring his car and do whatever he wanted. Someone surely told him to put on a show. That is what happens when you are asked to be part of a show, you are a "hero or a ZERO" when it comes to something like that. Yes personally I think it was a stupid choice of car and location but everyone was all about it while it was going on or they would'nt be standing so close to see it. Has anyone on here ever been to a race track or some type of special event? OK, then you have obviously had to sign a waiver of responsibility. That is the little paper you sign John Force or Jon Holmes on or whatever seems funny to you at the time. But it basically tells you that there is a chance of death on those premises and they are not liable. That is VERY TERRIBLE how it turned out and if it was one of my family or friends that got killed I too would be beside myself but there are more directions to point the finger than just the driver. He is just the easy "blame" for this horrific ACCIDENT!!!! I hope the point I am trying to make is coming across the way I am thinking it, but again I don't always word things right. Sorry if this came out wrong but I'm just trying to bring out the senerio in a whole. And I do have sympathy for everyone involved it was an accident, I'm confident he didn't wake up that day and say " I think I will go out and over do it so I can kill a bunch of people" COME ON? Look at it in a whole.

Katmandu
06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Come on. Do you hear yourselves? It is a tragety, it is. But this guy did not just bring his car and do whatever he wanted. Someone surely told him to put on a show. That is what happens when you are asked to be part of a show, you are a "hero or a ZERO" when it comes to something like that. Yes personally I think it was a stupid choice of car and location but everyone was all about it while it was going on or they would'nt be standing so close to see it. Has anyone on here ever been to a race track or some type of special event?

That is VERY TERRIBLE how it turned out and if it was one of my family or friends that got killed I too would be beside myself but there are more directions to point the finger than just the driver. He is just the easy "blame" for this horrific ACCIDENT!!!! COME ON? Look at it in a whole.You've missed an IMPORTANT point.

Why then did this driver CONTINUE his burn out PAST THE GUARDRAIL ??? Only the driver had control over how far he pushed the limits.

Watch now. He'll saw the THROTTLE STUCK open. :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is the point that was made about folks doing burnouts for DISTANCE at the cruise-ins

I truly hope folks learn from this tragedy about limits and liabilities.

bcoh5gt
06-18-2007, 08:06 PM
You've missed an IMPORTANT point.

Why then did this driver CONTINUE his burn out PAST THE GUARDRAIL ??? Only the driver had control over how far he pushed the limits.

Anyways, this is the point that was made about folks doing burnouts for DISTANCE at the cruise-ins

If you actually WATCH AND LISTEN TO THE VIDEO THAT YOU POSTED A LINK FOR YOU CAN SEE THAT HE LIFTED BEFORE THE GAURDRAIL ENDED THEN IT GOT SIDEWAYS. MAYBE YOU MISSED THE POINT!!!!!!:HYF:

barkey
06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
You've missed an IMPORTANT point.

He was out of the throttle before the end of the guardrail this is just a bad deal all around I don't think the driver is going to claim the throttle stuck.
The smoke and the speed of the car might lead people to believe he was still accelerating. Bad call by promoters, city offiicals and team exhibition burnouts are pretty common at car shows and fundraisers that pro mods or funny cars are at safety usually isn't considered until something happens. I went to a pro mod race in Huntsville a few years ago 1/8 mile race and there was probably 50-60 people standing in the burnout box and people just past the finish line sitting on the guardrail dangling there feet on the track side no one got hurt but they very easily could have been.

barkey
06-18-2007, 08:45 PM
http://www.teamjegs.com/media/jegs_burnout.wmv

needastang
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
That car was painted on the show Muscle Car a few months ago and they had a segment about Cars for Kids and how well it was doing.

Sharad
06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I couldn't disagree more. The car killed the people. The car was operated by ONE PERSON. End of story.

Your message implies that peer pressure mandated an 1/8th mile burnout. If his peers or "the devil" made him do it, then maybe it wasn't his fault?

Yeah right.

I've had A LOT of tickets in my day, and you know what I learned? If I drive my car like an idiot, I may have to pay severe consequences... including jail time. Though it looks like this guy might get off... which makes sense. I had the audacity to actually drive wrecklessly, which landed me in jail, twice. All he did was kill seven people.

I can't believe anyone is even debating this.

*Hint* Though I am almost always armed, if ALL of you dare me to shoot someone or even just shoot my gun up in the air, I'm gonna say NO! If that makes me a "zero" instead of a "hero", so be it.

Come on. Do you hear yourselves? It is a tragety, it is. But this guy did not just bring his car and do whatever he wanted. Someone surely told him to put on a show. That is what happens when you are asked to be part of a show, you are a "hero or a ZERO" when it comes to something like that. Yes personally I think it was a stupid choice of car and location but everyone was all about it while it was going on or they would'nt be standing so close to see it. Has anyone on here ever been to a race track or some type of special event? OK, then you have obviously had to sign a waiver of responsibility. That is the little paper you sign John Force or Jon Holmes on or whatever seems funny to you at the time. But it basically tells you that there is a chance of death on those premises and they are not liable. That is VERY TERRIBLE how it turned out and if it was one of my family or friends that got killed I too would be beside myself but there are more directions to point the finger than just the driver. He is just the easy "blame" for this horrific ACCIDENT!!!! I hope the point I am trying to make is coming across the way I am thinking it, but again I don't always word things right. Sorry if this came out wrong but I'm just trying to bring out the senerio in a whole. And I do have sympathy for everyone involved it was an accident, I'm confident he didn't wake up that day and say " I think I will go out and over do it so I can kill a bunch of people" COME ON? Look at it in a whole.

Black Horse
06-18-2007, 11:09 PM
The sad truth is that there are no winners here - a terrible loss of young lifes, families life's destroyed by the death and injury of their loved ones, a noble charity that will probably not be able to fulfill their misson, a race driver who must now live with his actions, enthusiasts who must now deal with closer scrutiny of events and insurance that will be unaffordable, and a police department that will live under a microscope for their apparent lack of action.

All so very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by this disaster.

BUHBYY
06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
That car was painted on the show Muscle Car a few months ago and they had a segment about Cars for Kids and how well it was doing.

that was a Impala that they painted ... this was the AMS pro-mod Vette but all the same there was a segment about Cars for Kids and I thought very highly of the charity , I just have no idea why you would use a Pro Mod for a burnout exhibition ??? and there was supposed to be 4 of them ??

bcoh5gt
06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
The sad truth is that there are no winners here - a terrible loss of young lifes, families life's destroyed by the death and injury of their loved ones, a noble charity that will probably not be able to fulfill their misson, a race driver who must now live with his actions, enthusiasts who must now deal with closer scrutiny of events and insurance that will be unaffordable, and a police department that will live under a microscope for their apparent lack of action.

All so very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by this disaster.

Best post yet:bigthumb

Ryan218
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Wow... That is why Vinny wanted to put an end to burnouts at our cruise ins...

those are the best part though...what about doing it like the bigger car shows have...with the car within a barrier so that if something like that would happen it would smack the barrier and not the people watching.

Black Hole
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
those are the best part though...what about doing it like the bigger car shows have...with the car within a barrier so that if something like that would happen it would smack the barrier and not the people watching.
I'll give ya 2 reasons...

1. QS&L won't allow us to do burnouts on their property.
2. Northside K of C doesn't have a "barrier" that would stop an "out of control" car.

Mr.Moontang
06-19-2007, 09:10 PM
The video of it was posted today on www.consumptionjunction.com for those of you that do not know this is a very not safe for work site!!!

Ryan218
06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll give ya 2 reasons...

1. QS&L won't allow us to do burnouts on their property.
2. Northside K of C doesn't have a "barrier" that would stop an "out of control" car.

ok i see....

DeckerEnt
06-20-2007, 12:39 AM
I saw the pics and watched the vid and all I see is something at an event that people were looking forward to seeing. It is very sad that it turned out the way it did. Did the driver do something wrong, no!. Did the promoters do something wrong, NO!. It was a situation where something went wrong and no one could do any thing about it. A car like that doing what it did and what happened when it did what everyone expected it to do but something happened and it all went wrong, not the driver's fault, not the owner,s fault, not any ones fault. It was something that could not be imagined that could happen. Sure everyone could be behind guard rails. But a local event, it was not like this was a huge event.
I feel sorry for all the familys that lost a loved one. It never should have happened. A car like that should never appear on the street. Only on a track.
Keith

Mista Bone
06-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Driver did alot wrong IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!

First, no line lock to during the burnout, aka "Top Fuel" style, then grabbed second gear.......likely a Lenco.......

Then the crown of the pavement + typical oil groove......not something a ProMod Car should be toying with on the street.

Driver at fault, I'll bet no waivers to be signed like at a drag strip........lawyers gonna get rich.......familys are broken.......

no damn good at all.

Say a prayer for those injured/killed even if your not "religous".......

Katmandu
06-20-2007, 02:34 AM
I saw the pics and watched the vid.... Did the driver do something wrong, no!. Did the promoters do something wrong, NO!.

It was a situation where something went wrong and no one could do any thing about it. Who was IN-CONTROL of the car then ?? :confused: A friggin' GHOST ?? :eek:

Critchley did a burnout FAR LONGER than he should have and the LOST IT!! Most likely for the reasons MISTA stated above.

He was NOT on a drag strip but City street that is all covered in oil and most likely does have a crest in the road etc...

Point is Critchley was behind the wheel and had the power to GET OUT OF IT whenever he wanted. He CHOSE to push it TOO FAR.

I'm sure he's going to claim "The throttle stuck open". :rolleyes:

Katmandu
06-20-2007, 03:18 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19319625/

Drag racer in Tennessee crash had prior DWI. Investigators waiting on Critchley’s blood sample after Saturday’s accident....This "could" help explain alot IF it comes to light he was DUI!

RADIALPRINCESS
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
He took a blood drug/alcohol test and passed. That's the media making things worse again.

See fellow standing in the street wearing overalls in the crash video? That's the founder, standing at the 50 feet mark. Now, take a close look at the video... the throttle blades on the injector hat were CLOSED at that point, but the momentum had not subsided. You can hear the engine come down as he passes Mr. Price. He did exactly as told. What happened after that was the result of conditions and terrible tragedy.

There is no doubt that this is a severe and horrific tragedy, one that no amount of speculation on what/who's to blame will correct or return the lives that are lost. My prayers are with all involved... the families, the injured, the witnesses, and also to the driver and team.

He who is free from sin cast the first stone....