Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Honey, I think we just bought a house [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Honey, I think we just bought a house

88ssp
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Long story short, my wife and I went to an open house on Sunday, inquired about getting a loan on Tuesday, were pre-approved on Friday, looked at the house again on Saturday, wrote an offer this morning, and it was accepted.

House:
1500 sq ft Brick home. 3 BR, 2 BA,
1.5 acre lot
Concrete and paved drive
Dead-end street
Full basement with bar and fireplace (as well as kitchen and "bomb shelter"

Best part?

Two car attached garage (moving from 1-car detached).

Needs some work, but we got it for a great deal.

Asking 115k, got it for 87k (assuming all loan paperwork goes through). Should close in as little as 2 weeks.

Still hasn't hit us yet. Our first home together--wife owned our house when we got together.

Now at least our 9 dogs will have a place to roam.

Bad part is--ramen noodles and PB&J until we sell the current home. Oh, and no more mods for the stang. Good thing I got my tires and suspension pieces when I did.

So how is home ownership?

PonymanfiveO
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
congrats!

where is it located?

DeckerEnt
06-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Congrats!!! The honey do lists will start soon. My best advice is to just do them and make her happy. Then she will make you happy and all will be right with the world.
Keith

88ssp
06-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm so far north of y'all you would have no clue where it is. It is only about 15 minutes from where I currently reside, though.

mustangboy
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Congrats!! So whats the first purchase for the garage going to be? I highly recommend a nice size air compressor and air tool.:bigthumb

PonymanfiveO
06-11-2007, 11:16 PM
oh, I was hoping you moved down here. dang. at leat you like it. ;)

88ssp
06-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah, air compressor is in the works. I didn't move down that way, but I will be in Mason later this week for a few days (sports med conference at PKI conference center).

Pops Fun
06-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Congrats... You will love the garage.;)

mach_u
06-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Congrat's! Sounds like a great place. :bigthumb

Holly
06-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Now at least our 9 dogs will have a place to roam.

:eek: You have 9 dogs? Holy crap! Do you let them in the house?

So how is home ownership?

I love owning a home. It's better than throwing money away on rent. This is the first time I have owned a home by myself, it's hard, but it's worth it.

Congratulations!

88ssp
06-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Holly. My wife has owned her home for 5 years, but this is my first home purchase.

Yeah, 9 dogs, they all are inside dogs, too. Of course with the new house, they will be outside a lot getting really really tired so when they come back in they can settle down.

For a comparison, the house we have right now sits on .2 acres and is 800 sq. ft. Talk about sardines, especially since one dog weighs 180 pounds.

MrsAPE
06-12-2007, 08:35 AM
congrats!! homeownership is great yet a pain in the ass. kinda like having kids. :) always something to do or fix. and just when you think its all done something else goes wrong. but its yours. well yours and the banks!! enjoy!! and 9 dogs...thats just crazy!!

Black Hole
06-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Congrats!!!!!

I can relate to the dogs.....I only have 2, but having a Rottwiler and a German Sheppard.....they need to "play outside" so that they'll "sleep inside". ;)

95redstang
06-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks Holly. My wife has owned her home for 5 years, but this is my first home purchase.

Yeah, 9 dogs, they all are inside dogs, too. Of course with the new house, they will be outside a lot getting really really tired so when they come back in they can settle down.

For a comparison, the house we have right now sits on .2 acres and is 800 sq. ft. Talk about sardines, especially since one dog weighs 180 pounds.

180 lbs? That is no dog. That's a freakin horse.
Home ownership is OK. No matter what anybody says it is a bad investment in my opinion. It's basically a money pit. I payed 159,000 for my house. If I stayed here the entire 30 years I would have spent well over 300,000 for it. Not to mention all the upkeep you have to do. Your central air goes out that's about 4,000 right there..Roof maybe another 4,000 at least. If you really think about it your actually renting from the bank. Not many people these days pay their house note completely off. Not to mention your insurance and property taxes you have to pay. The insurance is no big deal. Property taxes blow mule nuts. There is always something on the ballots about schools here in Fairfield...

Mista Bone
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Right now the housiong market is down, but once it gets turned around and back to normal, houses are great investments. If you have the money, right now is a GREAT time to buy some distressed houses for when the market returns.

I do know the people who jumped into the market as is was heading down are hurting. Mom's and my neighborhood has been hit had, mostly people who were on the edge. One minor thing and banks jump in. I'd been cutting grass for a neighbor who was in a bike wreck. Unable to work (barely walk) he lost his house.

331TwistedWedge
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
a house is a good investment if you get it cheap enough and you're able to flip it ... other than that, when you buy to own (living in it) - you're going to take it in the ass ... do the math: $150,000 dollar house at $1300.00 a month, for 30 years ~ you just paid $468,000 to buy that home! ...

95redstang
06-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Right now the housiong market is down, but once it gets turned around and back to normal, houses are great investments. If you have the money, right now is a GREAT time to buy some distressed houses for when the market returns.

I do know the people who jumped into the market as is was heading down are hurting. Mom's and my neighborhood has been hit had, mostly people who were on the edge. One minor thing and banks jump in. I'd been cutting grass for a neighbor who was in a bike wreck. Unable to work (barely walk) he lost his house.

The housing markey sucks because of the bullshit loan companies and real estate companies. They over appraised everything so they can make big money. Because of this thievery there is a 40-50% forclosure rate in Ohio..The highest in the country...

'92Stang
06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
a house is a good investment if you get it cheap enough and you're able to flip it ... other than that, when you buy to own (living in it) - you're going to take it in the ass ... do the math: $150,000 dollar house at $1300.00 a month, for 30 years ~ you just paid $468,000 to buy that home! ...

:agree: , Houses can turn into a money pit. However, property/acreage if purchased in the right location can prove beneficial. My parents bought property in Mason in 1968. After Dad died in 1993, mom sat on the property and watched in go up in price daily. She sold the farm in 2002, and before she passed away in 2004 she lived a very comfortable life, and left the nieces, nephews, and grandkids a decent chunk of change:bigthumb

Holly
06-12-2007, 02:06 PM
To each their own, but paying $750 + for rent on a dinky apartment is throwing money away to me. I'd rather put the money towards something I can call my own, eventually. ;) My house payment includes insurance, taxes, etc. and it is STILL cheaper than an apartment, and I have a yard and two car garage. Oh yeah, and a pool too. :rolleyes:

95redstang
06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
:agree: , Houses can turn into a money pit. However, property/acreage if purchased in the right location can prove beneficial. My parents bought property in Mason in 1968. After Dad died in 1993, mom sat on the property and watched in go up in price daily. She sold the farm in 2002, and before she passed away in 2004 she lived a very comfortable life, and left the nieces, nephews, and grandkids a decent chunk of change:bigthumb

Property can be profitable.. Those days of buying 1 acre for less than a $1,000 are gone forever. My aunt has a nice house with about 5 acres in Ross. She had it appraised about a year ago and it was a little over $500,000..No way in hell is that shit worth that much. They tried to sucker her to refi it and get that nice hefty mortgage..Her and my uncle built it in the late 70's. They don't owe much on it. Actually they might end up selling it..Their house is really nothing special either. Basically an oversized ranch w/ 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. All the rooms are very big but I don't see it worth 500,000..I'm sure if they do sell they will make quite a bit of cash from it. Seeing that land is going for 20,000-30,000 an acre out there...But like I said those days are gone..

95redstang
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
To each their own, but paying $750 + for rent on a dinky apartment is throwing money away to me. I'd rather put the money towards something I can call my own, eventually. ;) My house payment includes insurance, taxes, etc. and it is STILL cheaper than an apartment, and I have a yard and two car garage. Oh yeah, and a pool too. :rolleyes:

Yeah I can't argue that point. The apartment thing is different as opposed to renting a house. A house no matter if you are buying or renting you should get more for your money. My house is a 3bedroom 2 1/2 baths tri level in Fairfield. I have a nice huge yard. It was appraised at 165,000 when I bought it in Aug. 2005. No way in hell it was worth 165,000 when I bought it. I like my house but I wish I had bought something different. I got tired of looking at houses while working 12-16 hour days.. We looked at 50-75 houses easily..My realtor earned every bit of what he was paid. I told my wife just go pick out the house that she wanted. So she picked this one..What a mistake..:lol:

88ssp
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Couple o' pics:

Front view from the road
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL686/2648057/16799485/259301490.jpg

View from the back of the property:
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL686/2648057/16799485/259301501.jpg

Garage (not my car in there--previous owner (90 yr old woman)
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL686/2648057/16799485/259301495.jpg

I'd post pics of the inside, but it has some ugly ass gold carpet. We are gonna pull that up and expose the hardwood floors. We are gonna fence in the back yard, too.

92coupe
06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Congrats Ken to you and the little woman!

MrsAPE
06-13-2007, 08:15 AM
looks nice!! love the huge yard!! wish our yard was flatter and bigger!

88ssp
06-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Picked up the keys tonite. Already went in, opened up the windows to get the "old lady" stink out of there. Also went to The Home Depot and Wal-Mart to pick up some stuff for the first room we are "re-modeling"--the bathroom.

Now I just have to figure out how to fill the 24x22 garage.

mustang8998
06-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Now I just have to figure out how to fill the 24x22 garage.

It won't take long. It will be full, before you know it. (trust me, I know!)

Congrats Ken! I'm sure will be very happy there. :bigthumb

CAPRISTANG
06-26-2007, 08:12 AM
if you're needin a compresser my neighbor has a compresser for sale .$300.00 it's tall single or duel i don't know. If you're intersted let me know. PS don't sell the car store it away in the garage for know. The money will come from somewere else.. Been there done that. Nice house were is located... Doug

transman
06-26-2007, 10:34 AM
CONGRATS NICE HOUSE AND GREAT DEAL:bigthumb

cstreu1026
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Wow man! I just saw this. Congrats on the move. I know you two really needed and wanted more room. You better get use to the sight of the cashiers at Home Depot and Lowes because you will be spending a lot of time and money there in the near future. :D

qwk93ta
06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
I have an 1,100 square foot garage and I have it filled...