Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Holly needs help/advice [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holly needs help/advice

Holly
04-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Okay, I got the house refinanced, but they want to charge me an unGodly amount for insurance because of a few things that need fixed.

One is the roof - I have that under control, the guys are coming to put a new one on at the beginning of May.

The other is the pool, it is 2/3 of the way enclosed, but I need a fence up around the other 1/3. If I buy the fence, could somebody pretty please put it up for me? I am not sure what kind to even buy, but I need to enclose the pool (whether I open it or not).

Lastly, the steps going up to the front door, they are crooked because of the flood of 97. The insurance lady said that if somebody could mix some concrete and make it straight, it would not be a problem. They also need a hand railing (up the side 3 steps).

Point in the right direction! I hate asking for help, I don't know what to do. My insurance just went WAY up because of these few little things. If you know somebody that could help with either of these things, please let me know ASAP. Thanks much.

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Holly, email sent...

PonymanfiveO
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Lets get a work party together. Im there!

We need to finish off the rest of those dang pine tree limbs also.

Holly
04-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Lets get a work party together. Im there!

We need to finish off the rest of those dang pine tree limbs also.

I am not worried about the pine trees, they are not affecting my monthly income, the rest of the stuff is. I need to get it fixed soon. I guess I'll start calling places and see what I can come up with.

Ranger50
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
If I was only closer..... :(

B

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Holly I'm sure we can get some people together and get these taken care of....

95redstang
04-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Okay, I got the house refinanced, but they want to charge me an unGodly amount for insurance because of a few things that need fixed.

One is the roof - I have that under control, the guys are coming to put a new one on at the beginning of May.

The other is the pool, it is 2/3 of the way enclosed, but I need a fence up around the other 1/3. If I buy the fence, could somebody pretty please put it up for me? I am not sure what kind to even buy, but I need to enclose the pool (whether I open it or not).

Lastly, the steps going up to the front door, they are crooked because of the flood of 97. The insurance lady said that if somebody could mix some concrete and make it straight, it would not be a problem. They also need a hand railing (up the side 3 steps).

Point in the right direction! I hate asking for help, I don't know what to do. My insurance just went WAY up because of these few little things. If you know somebody that could help with either of these things, please let me know ASAP. Thanks much.

Are you dead set on using the same insurance company? You can always call around..I barely pay $500 a year on a $160,000 house...The insurance company you are using is it recomended through the place where you refinanced?

aangel
04-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I can man the grill and bring a few things to throw on it...my way of helping the best way I know how...(fill those hungry working bellies...).

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Are you dead set on using the same insurance company? You can always call around..I barely pay $500 a year on a $160,000 house...The insurance company you are using is it recomended through the place where you refinanced?

She has a VERY good premium (one of the cheapest I have seen). They are just increasing it due to the hazards....

95redstang
04-17-2007, 03:29 PM
She has a VERY good premium (one of the cheapest I have seen). They are just increasing it due to the hazards....

Ok...

ADaughen
04-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Holly, if you need a hand I'll help.

What kind of fencing do you have around the rest of your pool? Chain link? Wood privacy?

I have a hammer, will travel. :)

DeckerEnt
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Let us know when and we will show up. I can lend a hand as much as I can. As far as the concrete steps, those would need to be raised and back filled with dirt and concrete. I bet there is a floor jack in the garage.
Keith

Holly
04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Holly, if you need a hand I'll help.

What kind of fencing do you have around the rest of your pool? Chain link? Wood privacy?

I have a hammer, will travel. :)

There is a deck about 2/3 of the way around the pool, with wood fencing around it. The other 1/3 is open, I just need something so kids can't get in there, or my insurance is going to stay higher. Wood privacy would probably be the cheapest and the best.

I will take some pics tonight so I can show you what I am talking about.

ruby71oh
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
DECK PARTY TIME!!! Only tear down the deck and build a new one with fence included!!! I can only go to the store to buy beer and make some kick ass desserts. Sorry I can't be of much help.

bcoh5gt
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
PM sent

Mista Bone
04-18-2007, 04:53 AM
Memorial Day weekend?

I'm supposed to goto IRP for SCCA race (4 cars entered running my trannys) but building a deck sounds better...Beer Deck?

dedpedal
04-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Give me some time and date, Ill come over and help as much as I can.

MrsAPE
04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Dates and times..if we can be there we are. I'm not handy but I can carry/fetch/clean up well. I can also help out with the food part.

Holly
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I appreciate the offers for building a new deck, but honestly, I cannot afford that, I'd rather tear down the pool than put money into a new back deck (I'd rather have one in front if I was going to do that and just cover up those crooked concrete steps they [insurance people] are bitching about).

I have one of the guys from the board coming down on Thursday to look at the pool, I think we are going with lattus work around the part that is open.

The best idea so far for the front steps (even from the insurance lady, she came by yesterday) was so get some concrete and just level out that crooked step, she says that would be the cheapest way to go and it would fly with the insurance company.

Reef Blue LX
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Holly, check with one of the pool places,(watsons or Eastgate pools) and see if they have a vinyl fence pool surround.Ive seen them on other pools around Northern KY

glassman
04-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Holly we could try to take a spud bar under the concrete and lift it up and level it with some gravel under it.

Timido
04-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Limestone makes a nice base packs real nice

glassman
04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Limestone makes a nice base packs real nice

True but I don't think we could tamp it down unless we cut the concrete at the joints and move the pieces. I can p/u the concrete saw when ever and possably a dingo if it would help.

Holly
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Holly we could try to take a spud bar under the concrete and lift it up and level it out with some gravel under it.

Whatever is cheapest and easiest.

The insurance lady suggested just mixing some concrete and putting it on top of the slanted step, leveling it out. She said that would fly. But then I need a railing for the 3 steps before the unlevel one, another "hazard" according to her. Anything over 3 steps is hazardous. Funny, I have lived there for 7 years and haven't fallen on those steps once. :HYF: Idiot insurance companies, just trying to make an extra buck.

bcoh5gt (Billy) and Madmod (Ryan) are supposed to stop by tonight and check out the pool situation. We are thinking lattus for it, but they are going to give me their opinions/advice.

Timido
04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Could try to lift up the concrete get as much limestone under we can, water it down and let the concrete make the limestone settle. Really if you can get anything under it and lift it you would be 100&#37; better than before.

glassman
04-19-2007, 01:08 PM
As far as the railing goes the ins co made my neighbor do the same last year anything with 3 or more steps has to have one , and I think it's code now w/ most county's. Home Depot should have pre built rail sections and a bag or two of concrete, some screws,a bracket or 2 and 2 posts and your rail is done.
So when are we all gona get together and get this done???

Holly
04-19-2007, 01:12 PM
As far as the railing goes the ins co made my neighbor do the same last year anything with 3 or more steps has to have one , and I think it's code now w/ most county's. Home Depot should have pre built rail sections and a bag or two of concrete, some screws,a bracket or two and two post and your rail is done.

Sweet, I'll buy, you install. ;) Just kidding, unless you want to? No big hurry on that though, I think the lopsided concrete step is the first thing that should be addressed. I don't know how to mess with concrete though, I'd end up stuck in it or something. :lol:

I still have those sliding glass doors. The wind has blown them over twice, and they still have not broke. I need to get the neighbor guy to help me carry them out for the garbage man next Tuesday, unless somebody wants them? There is nothing wrong with them, they are just old (70s).

Pops Fun
04-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Are the steps preformed or poured concrete? Hard to tell what is the correct path without photos or looking things over.

Pops

Holly
04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Are the steps preformed or poured concrete? Hard to tell what is the correct path without photos or looking things over.

Pops

Hmmm... I'm going to go with poured concrete. Somebody on here should be able to verify that (glassman, Kevin, Jeff, Timido, Craig, Bueller, anybody?). :lol:

I will take some pics tonight and post them up!

Jeff88coupe
04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I think from what I remember of Holly's steps that they are poured concrete.
Holly...you have to remember..people like Tardy visit your house....and you can't fix stupid:lol: :rofl: ...stupid Tardy tricks that is.

Holly
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Holly...you have to remember..people like Tardy visit your house....and you can't fix stupid:lol: :rofl: ...stupid Tardy tricks that is.

I'm hiding the little bike next time he comes over.

Anybody want a used wheelchair? Matt Johnson? If not, it's going out in the garbage next week. Vinny and his buddies had fun with it, but now its just taking up room in the garage, Twisted Twins wants it out. :lol:

glassman
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Pops

If I'm not mistakin its the walk way after the first set of steps (side walk) to the second set at the door.

glassman
04-19-2007, 05:06 PM
So when are we all gona get together and get this done???[/QUOTE]

:confused:
Holly can you post a pic of the steps??

Holly
04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
bcoh5gt (Billy) and Madmod (Ryan) are supposed to stop by tonight and check out the pool situation. We are thinking lattus for it, but they are going to give me their opinions/advice.

Bill and Ryan stopped by tonight. They are going to put up some lattus work in a few weeks. A little visit to Home Depot and hopefully it can be fixed in a day. I really appreciate you guys coming out and measuring that area for me, and telling me what I need to do!

Bill - your ride is pretty sweet too! I love black mustangs - even my poor faded coupe, at least it's black. Kevin and Keith have it looking good. I know - pictures. I'll get pictures of it and the steps this weekend.

aangel
04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I love black mustangs - even my poor faded coupe, at least it's black. Kevin and Keith have it looking good. I know - pictures. I'll get pictures of it and the steps this weekend.

Black...

Joe's real fortay is body work...he went to the West Clermont Career Center in the day (early 80s), he use to work for one of the 'ol school guys in Mt. Carmel painting cars and choppers (I think the guy went by the name of "Fish" [Tom]). Anywho, I distinctively remember Joe saying that, "black is the hardest color to paint..." and he's a perfectionist. Something about it being smooth and straight with no waves. (I'm clueless but I like hearing him talk about the stuff that he would really love to do for a living...)

aangel
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
oh, are you still getting together to do the steps or lattace work?

Pops Fun
04-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi
Stopped over at Holly's today and took a couple photo's

Pops Fun
04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
There are any number of way to repair this, that I see. Someone with experience please chime in. Holly would like this repaired with minium cost to pass inspection. I see a few options... chime in

It is 5 ft long and at the lowers spot is 5 or 6" low all along that side.

1. Get about 20 or more (?) bags of quickete and mix them, pour them over existing concrete, coming maybe an inch over the high side?? $3.50 a bag maybe 80 bucks ??? Takes some peeps with strong backs..

2. Hammerdrill through lower side put a 1" bolt or so in and try to list, maybe an engine hoist..... what does that weigh ?? 700 or 800 pounds ??

3. call some one that raises concrete for a living and have them pump it up.. Expensive

4. I think you could get a spud bar under the front side by the steps and several peeps might lift that but close to the house??? I don't think so.

Pops Fun
04-21-2007, 12:07 PM
The insurance lady did not complain about the steps being crooked, just that they needed a railing.

Ideas??

A simple thing might be to get 12 ft of treated 2x4 and pound into the ground or buy some simple railing

Ideas..

R825OH
04-21-2007, 12:26 PM
That railig idea isn't bad Pops ,I mean at the same time we could put it up and make it look good for the insurance people and if Holly don't want to keep it ,we can take it back down after the ins. co. looks at it ! What they don't know won't hurt them.....

glassman
04-21-2007, 09:53 PM
As far as the railing I would get 2 4x4's or vinyl 4x4, post hole digger,bag or two concrete,pre made deck rail (wood,vinyl or rot iron) home depot or lowes should have material for steps. As far as putting a rail up and taking it down they will take pics and if there is ever a claim they won't pay it .

glassman
04-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I'll see if I can get a skid steer with forks and slide the forks under the pad and pick it up. Then we could pack gravel under it.

Pops Fun
04-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Sounds like a good idea...

Pops Fun
04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi
So when can we do this.. is there cost involved and how many volunteers do we need :D ??

Pops

Holly
04-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi
So when can we do this.. is there cost involved and how many volunteers do we need :D ??

Pops

Next weekend is out, I have company coming in from out of town for the cruise in.

The weekend after that is open (May 5/6) and then the weekend of May 19/20. I will either be at UMTR Saturday

Actually, I probably don't need to be there, but I would like to, in case you need to get in the house and use any of Vinny's tools, or the restroom!

NXcoupe
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
That does look like it would be hard to get in behind it to lift it up. How about digging out the other side and lowering it? Would that make too much of a step up? Do you really think it would take that much concrete to level it out?

Pops Fun
04-28-2007, 11:02 AM
That does look like it would be hard to get in behind it to lift it up. How about digging out the other side and lowering it? Would that make too much of a step up? Do you really think it would take that much concrete to level it out?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner... Concrete.. I guessed and did it this way. A 80# bag is about 2" tall by about 2 ft long, the cement has dropped 5 or 6 inches and is 5 ft long . It would take almost 3 bags high by 2.5 to 3 bags long, there is 9 bags then you need to move over and do it again not quite as many maybe. But I think you will have to let some flow down the crack and fill some below.. Any cement people chime in. Raising the cement seems like a great idea but not my fortay.

Pops

Holly
05-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Bill and Ryan are working on the fence around the pool right now....

:bigthumb

Holly
05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
The pool is nasty. Vinny's first buddy he ever met when he came to Cincinnati came down yesterday to help me get it started. We decided it would just be easier to empty it, and destroy a bunch of frogs homes and a mosquito heaven. :lol:

It's nasty right now. Here are some before pictures. Hopefully I'll have some crystal clear blue water pictures to post by Memorial Day weekend.

Holly
05-06-2007, 10:36 AM
The roof and gutters are finished, thanks to some local homeboys. They had it done it less than two days. I think it looks great! It's nice to not have the gutter hanging off the back of the house swinging in the wind. :lol: (It fell off after that storm two weeks ago, Chuck Carter had already nailed it back on there once).

MrsAPE
05-06-2007, 02:55 PM
sounds like its all coming together!! yay!!

ruby71oh
05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
The pool is nasty. Vinny's first buddy he ever met when he came to Cincinnati came down yesterday to help me get it started. We decided it would just be easier to empty it, and destroy a bunch of frogs homes and a mosquito heaven. :lol:

It's nasty right now. Here are some before pictures. Hopefully I'll have some crystal clear blue water pictures to post by Memorial Day weekend.

Did they siphon the pool again? All that "work" to get the water off of the cover only to find something out of scooby doo underneath!

Holly
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Did they siphon the pool again? All that "work" to get the water off of the cover only to find something out of scooby doo underneath!

Yes, Auston had two hoses siphoning water out starting Sunday around noon, it's STILL not empty. It has about 3-4 inches of water in it. I am going to get in there tonight and start scrubbing. We will use the wet vac to get the rest out and then fill it with nice clean water this weekend, hopefully. We've been in this situation before, it will clean up believe it or not. :lol:

NA/NOTCH
05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
hey the fence looks nice holly!

Holly
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
hey the fence looks nice holly!

I think so too! Bill and Ryan did a great job, in a short amount of time! Thanks guys!

You didn't say anything about the pool though.... doesn't it look nice? :rolleyes: Nice hangout for the local frogs, although there isn't much water left in it now. I'm getting in it tonight and scrubbing, wish me luck!

bcoh5gt
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I think so too! Bill and Ryan did a great job, in a short amount of time! Thanks guys!

You didn't say anything about the pool though.... doesn't it look nice? :rolleyes: Nice hangout for the local frogs, although there isn't much water left in it now. I'm getting in it tonight and scrubbing, wish me luck!

No problem Holly thanks, Personally It could have turned out better I think. But with the deal we got at the Depot, you can't beat it.