Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
ignition switch [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch

black90lx
04-12-2007, 01:09 PM
i couldnt find anywhere to post this in the tech section...i lost the keys to the mustang and it is ready to be fired up. how do i get the ignition out where the key goes? or how can i hot wire it so i can drive it check everything out....lol. it is foxbody if that makes a difference

RACEME
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
The only way to get the ignition out without having the key involves a large sheet metal screw and a slide hammer. (that i know of) The ignition switch is bolted about 6 inches down the steering column on the passenger side of it. When you turn the key it pushes a rod that makes the ignition do it's thing. I am pretty sure the switch is on there with safety torx bolts.

Tim

MFIELD
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
You need the key to get the lock cylinder out without damaging the column. You have to turn the key to the run position and there is a little pin on the lower side that pushes in and it will pull out. See if you can get a locksmith to make you a key. Good luck.

black90lx
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
i already broke the piece that you use to turn the key with on the ouutside that has th two ears on it. so its going to need replaced and it be a waste of money to call a locksmith.

RACEME
04-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I have used a slide hammer on about 10 of them over the years. I think I busted 2 columns. The part that holds the tumblers usually breaks before the column. There is a dowel pin on the lower side toward the seat. I would beat that in first.

Good luck.

black90lx
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
i tried to beat that in pin in. i guess i am going to use a slide hammer