Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Air Compressor [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

fst 5pto
04-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Ok, just picked an air compressor up from my uncle... 2 hp motor with a 20 gallon tank, completely free. Get everything hooked up and notice a ton of air coming from somewhere... turns out there is a tiny hole in the bottom of the tank..not sure how to fix this? What recommendations do you have?

Mista Bone
04-12-2007, 03:57 AM
if the hole is not near the drain valve, thank your uncle for giving you a POS with a rusted tank.

What is the date on the tank? Air Compressor tanks are dated just like nitrous bottles.

Jeff88coupe
04-12-2007, 06:42 AM
JB weld will fix a pin hole leak. Just clean the area around the pin hole down to bare metal before you put it on. I patched a pin hole leak on the 60 gal compressor tank that have about 6 months ago. It's holding just fine.

plated
04-12-2007, 07:18 AM
sounds like the drain is open,maybe he didn't turn the valve back off after draining it.good luck.hopefully it isn't rusted out wich they do do

fst 5pto
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Well its coming from the bottom, and I can put my finger over it to fix the problem and it will hold pressure... I was also thinking JB weld but wanted to get other opinions....it is very old, not sure of the date, but it has some surface rust which I am going to take care of also.

plated
04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
the valve could be shot,pull the pitcock out and replace it,home depot or lowes should have one,take your old one with ya

bobtsgt
04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
if its an actaul valve then either replace it or plug it. if its a pin hole in the metal then use the JB after cleaning it up and just spray it with some rust prevention paint

ponyboystroker
04-13-2007, 02:37 AM
this may be a little bit harder, but what about welding the hole, if in fact it is a hole. It would be nice if it were a faulty pitcock. Good luck.

Mista Bone
04-13-2007, 06:35 AM
if its an actaul valve then either replace it or plug it. if its a pin hole in the metal then use the JB after cleaning it up and just spray it with some rust prevention paint

and when the JB weld breaks free......:HYF:

no need for it boucing around the garage, might put a eye out or puncture a beer can!

bobtsgt
04-13-2007, 08:06 AM
I JB our 120gal tank here at work and its been holding for 4 years now. I guess if you wanted to be real safe then get it patched up with some metal. it also depends if the tank is real rusted or not

BigBadStang
04-13-2007, 02:20 PM
sorry to hijack....hey bobtsgt...your avatar brings back memories! somewhere my mom and dad have pics of me standing next to it autorama in columbus back in the 80's! i was a total pac-man freak!!...
back to your regularly scheduled thread...

bobtsgt
04-13-2007, 02:59 PM
sorry to hijack....hey bobtsgt...your avatar brings back memories! somewhere my mom and dad have pics of me standing next to it autorama in columbus back in the 80's! i was a total pac-man freak!!...
back to your regularly scheduled thread...

haha next time your at their house find them and post them up.

BigBadStang
04-13-2007, 03:04 PM
i will see if i can find them!

MRGRIMM
04-14-2007, 07:40 PM
You probably already know this but after you fix it, always open the valve after you use it and let it drain/mist out. Just shut it off first, that will help the tank live a little longer instead of leaving all that water to sit in there and rust the tank out, better for your tools too.