Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any advice on moving truck rentals? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on moving truck rentals?

topazz
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
So I got into grad school and will be moving from good ole Cincy to Colorado Springs, CO about mid July. I have been looking into moving trucks and they are outrageous! So far I’ve found Ryder/UHaul/Budget for about $1200-$1400 one way. I also looked into the PODS moving system where they drop off a POD at your door and then you have up to 5 days to load it. They then come get it and drive it across country for you and drop it off where you tell them to…sounds awesome but that would run me $2700 :eek:

Do any of you have experience with this or can you offer some advice? This seems really high, but then again, I’ve never moved across country before. Maybe this is normal?!

Shaggy
04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.123movers.com/movers/Cincinnati_OH/z-45201/s-local_movers/results.html

ponyboystroker
04-09-2007, 09:21 PM
damn topazz, I didn't know you were moving. I bet Margret threw a fit, huh? What are you going to grad school for?

Black Horse
04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
"2 men and a Truck" rock! Not sure if they go that far, but if they do , their prices are reasonable and they do a quick clean job!

Carl
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Talk to Paul408notch, he moved from Cincy to Mesa, AZ. I don't remember what company he went through.

PonymanfiveO
04-10-2007, 05:19 AM
I think he loaded up a u-haul and went like the Beverly Hillbillies.

topazz
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM
damn topazz, I didn't know you were moving. I bet Margret threw a fit, huh? What are you going to grad school for?

Nah, no one believes me still! My dad still thinks it's for a few months or something...maybe he just doesn't want to think about it.

I was accepted to U of Colorado at Colorado Springs and I'm going to work on my MA in Experimental Psyc (research based junk). That should only take two yrs then I'm going on to the PhD. It's going to be "Dr. Topazz" :lol: just give me some time!

IWRBB
04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Did you try Penske?

Jeff88coupe
04-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Pods.com
Load all yourstuff in a Pod....they pick it up...ship it..drop it off at your new place.

ADaughen
04-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Pods.com
Load all yourstuff in a Pod....they pick it up...ship it..drop it off at your new place.

$2700 :eek:

Enterprise rent a truck?
Penske trucks?

Paul408Notch
04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I used a 16ft Budget truck when I moved out here. Do NOT use a U-Haul because their reliability is horrible.

I don't know how much you have to move, but if I were doing it again, I'd pay the extra 500-600 bucks for the Diesel. The gas motor was some little puny-assed 5.2l GM POS that I had the pedal to the floor on the entire way from the TX/NM border to the Phoenix area.

If you'll be towing a trailer and have some heavy things like toolboxes, the Diesel would be best. It pretty much doubles your mileage too. If you're not towing anything, or just towing a car dolly, you'll probably be able to get by with the gas motor, but be warned, they only get around 4mpg.

Budget and Penske are the only companies I'd even think about, and Penske seems to have much better reliability, and newer trucks.

IWRBB
04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Forgot to add, if you use a moving company to move it for you, do some research on the moving company scams.

They take your stuff, put it in the truck and won't bring it back until you pay oh, I dunno $5K, $10K more than their estimate. I mean they do have to recoupe the storage fees of your stuff they are holding hostage, ya know?.

Get everything in writing, signed, & dated. Do NOT let them put a damn thing in a truck until you have a written guaranteed price based on what they are moving that day. Get it it writing, signed & dated, that any extra costs are the responsibility of the moving company. Do NOT just go off their orignal low-ball estimate price and let them start loading it up. They will take your stuff, hold it hostage and charge you way more their estimate.

It's a huge scam, people get burned everyday. It's way worse than you realize. I know a couple people who had it happen to them.

ponyboystroker
04-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Forgot to add, if you use a moving company to move it for you, do some research on the moving company scams.

They take your stuff, put it in the truck and won't bring it back until you pay oh, I dunno $5K, $10K more than their estimate. I mean they do have to recoupe the storage fees of your stuff they are holding hostage, ya know?.

Get everything in writing, signed, & dated. Do NOT let them put a damn thing in a truck until you have a written guaranteed price based on what they are moving that day. Get it it writing, signed & dated, that any extra costs are the responsibility of the moving company. Do NOT just go off their orignal low-ball estimate price and let them start loading it up. They will take your stuff, hold it hostage and charge you way more their estimate.

It's a huge scam, people get burned everyday. It's way worse than you realize. I know a couple people who had it happen to them.

wow, what a bunch of bastards!

Topazz, I would take his advice seriously and cover your ass anyway possible. If I were a first time mover and didn't know any better I would never thought of anything like he said but it makes sense and once they have your stuff they have you in the palm of their hands.

topazz
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, I would have never thought about stuff like that. I'm sure it happens, but it would have never crossed my mind! People are crazy sometimes...

I don't have a ton of stuff to move, my house is pretty little plus I'm planning on having a big yard sale right before (because I am going from house to apt). I was also going to drive my car and then have a friend drive the truck, so I wasn't really thinking about movers.

Should I still go diesel though? It is really far and if the milage is that different it may be worth it.

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming! I'm checking out everything that's been mentioned so far.

bobtsgt
04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
just rock out a 24ft Budget diesel and enjoy the ride. I sometimes help my mom and her fiance move budget trucks around the tristate area. some info on their trucks
http://www.budgettruck.com/moving-trucks.aspx

IWRBB
04-11-2007, 01:02 AM
What's with the "business only" for liftgates on the Budget trucks? You can get a liftgate on Penske trucks for personal use. I told the people I bought my house from about them and they were glad they got one because they had 2 big deep freezes and a huge old fridge in the garage they took with them. They hunted deer, so they used the freezers for that. Moving those things up a ramp would have sucked.

When I moved in 2003, the housing market was so hot it was tough to even find a truck to rent. My brother came down with his long bed F150. With that and my F150 we moved everything I had in 2 trips. Saved me $250.

bobtsgt
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
you can probally get a lift gate if you asked for it. if they say anything tell them your moving parts for your business :D