Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Very Interesting Firearm Death Statistic: [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Firearm Death Statistic:

Black Horse
04-02-2007, 02:13 PM
INTERESTING STATISTIC

Regardless of where you stand on the issue of the U.S. involvement in
Iraq, here's a sobering statistic:

There has been a monthly average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theatre
of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of 2,112 deaths.
That gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington D.C. is 80.6 per 100,000 persons
for the same period.

That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in
the U.S. Capital than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion: The U.S. should pull out of Washington

Ranger50
04-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Amen. :D

DeckerEnt
04-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Excellent point.
Keith

PaulFiveOh
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Cite your sources.

5.0calypso93lx
04-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Where's Stone???

Ranger50
04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Where's Stone???

hush, yo mouf. :D

Gene
04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
That's a bit skewed of a figure. I could only find two DC police killed in the line of duty in the past two years. I would consider only LEOs to be the equivalent of an American Soldier in Baghdad, and they're not remotely as heavily armed.

By comparison, as of February 2007 there have been 35,557 civilian deaths in Baghdad. If my (admittedly questionable) math skills are correct, that works out to 790 deaths per 100,000. And neither of these figures take into account the 390+ American civilian contractors killed in Iraq as well.

Is it safer to be an American Soldier in Iraq than a civilian in Washington DC? Yes. But that is really a completely pointless statistic. I'll bet it's statistically safer to be an American Soldier on base at Ft. Cambell than it is to be a civilian in Middletown as well.

Like Mark Twain said: "There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

03trubluGT
04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
That's a bit skewed of a figure. I could only find two DC police killed in the line of duty in the past two years. I would consider only LEOs to be the equivalent of an American Soldier in Baghdad, and they're not remotely as heavily armed.

By comparison, as of February 2007 there have been 35,557 civilian deaths in Baghdad. If my (admittedly questionable) math skills are correct, that works out to 790 deaths per 100,000. And neither of these figures take into account the 390+ American civilian contractors killed in Iraq as well.

Is it safer to be an American Soldier in Iraq than a civilian in Washington DC? Yes. But that is really a completely pointless statistic. I'll bet it's statistically safer to be an American Soldier on base at Ft. Cambell than it is to be a civilian in Middletown as well.

Like Mark Twain said: "There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Yes, but isn't that politics? Manipulating the numbers to place fear into people so they will side with you?

I've also heard the stat that more people are killed each year by drunk driving illegal aliens than that have been killed in the Iraq war, but I can't find anything to back it up.

I wouldn't doubt it though.

mustang8998
04-02-2007, 05:41 PM

And Brain wonders where Stone is? :lol:

JFWY Gene! ;)

IWRBB
04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I've also heard the stat that more people are killed each year by drunk driving illegal aliens than that have been killed in the Iraq war, but I can't find anything to back it up.

I wouldn't doubt it though.

One of my friends was hit by two drunk illegal Mexicans and they ran. We chased them down, I think they thought they were gonna get killed when 3 big ass 4x4 pickup trucks caught up with their broken ass wrecked car in a dark empty cul-de-sac. They had some weak fake IDs they gave to the cops (who took an hour and a half to show up, thanks a lot Springfield Twp police, great service). I hope they were fucking deported.

03trubluGT
04-02-2007, 06:18 PM
One of my friends was hit by two drunk illegal Mexicans and they ran. We chased them down, I think they thought they were gonna get killed when 3 big ass 4x4 pickup trucks caught up with their broken ass wrecked car in a dark empty cul-de-sac. They had some weak fake IDs they gave to the cops (who took an hour and a half to show up, thanks a lot Springfield Twp police, great service). I hope they were fucking deported.

That's the sad part. IF they WERE deported, they'll just come back with another weak ID in another name.

There are no documents to record their existance, so they can come here and do whatever they damn well please. And if they kill someone, just go back to Mexico and live free as a bird.

It's a no-lose situation for them, and a tax burden for us.

Gene
04-02-2007, 07:07 PM
And Brain wonders where Stone is? :lol:

JFWY Gene! ;)

Lol!!! No, if I was Stone, I'd just make a claim that Bush and Cheney eat babies or something, not try to actually use logic and facts to make my argument. ;)

Silver Bullet
04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I wonder how Ciny's #'s compare......:rolleyes:

Gene
04-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I wonder how Ciny's #'s compare......:rolleyes:

We're more in line with Mogadishu. ;)

Silver Bullet
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
We're more in line with Mogadishu. ;)

LOL heck, we could just narrow it down to OTR, the kills per person ratio goes way up then!:eek:

Black Horse
04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Oh for Pete's sake - it was supposed to be humorous....period!

Gene
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh for Pete's sake - it was supposed to be humorous....period!

:D

I was REALLY bored at work today.

Timido
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I do remember reading that about the percentages with the Deaths by DUI.s being higher that the loss of life with the first part of the Gulf war. Desert Shield /Storm/ Provide comport.

BigBadStang
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Lol!!! No, if I was Stone, I'd just make a claim that Bush and Cheney eat babies or something, not try to actually use logic and facts to make my argument. ;)

:lol: :lol: :flipoff: Stone = Clown! :flipoff: :lol: :lol:

higgy87
04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Interesting way to look at things, someones always got their own spin on things...

I know I've been gone for a bit, whats up w/ all the Stone bashin'? I do remember him getting up on his soap box quite often though :tongue2: