Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Well I worked on and rode in my first Supra today [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well I worked on and rode in my first Supra today

Paul408Notch
04-01-2007, 03:19 AM
A friend of mine just recently sold his Mustang, and wanted to get something different, so he picked up a 94 Supra with an auto. It already had a single turbo conversion with a t-72, and some other mods I know nothing about, but I think it was still in the high $20k range. Talk about a car that hasn't lost value.

So he was kind of annoyed with how loud the exhaust and road noise was, so we dynamatted the entire rear of the car. I have never in my life seen such an over-engineered factory built car. Not only was there not a single panel gap anywhere, even with the targa top out, but that thing had more braces behind the interior panels than any car I've ever seen. I think we had to remove like 6 big-assed bolt-in braces just in the rear area. It was pretty impressive. Apparently everything in the motor is good to like 1000hp, the trannies in the 6-speeds are good to around 1500hp, and the rest of the drivetrain is pretty bulletproof as well.

After we finished all of the work, he took me for a ride, and it's a really fun car. He's guessing around 450RWHP, and I'd say that's about right. It feels like a lot more because of the rush of power when the turbo spools, but it's probably a good guess. It's such a smooth running motor, it just feels totally unlike any V8 powered car I've ever been in. The lag is ridiculous though. My Tacoma would whip that thing's ass for about 60-70 feet. From a stop, you have to get to 4krpms before the thing will spool, and with the stock converter, that takes a while. Once it rolls into boost it's really strong though. It handles amazingly, and the brakes may be stronger than my Baer kit.

Overall I'm extremely impressed. I'm sure it's kind of hard for him to go from a 700rwhp 5-speed car to a 450rwhp auto car, but it's really fun. The only real complaints I had were that the legroom was practically nonexistant, and just in the half hour we were driving around, 2 people asked if it was the car from the fast and the furious (even though this one is white). I won't be trading my car in for one anytime soon, but I can see why they're still going for huge amounts of money.

Black Horse
04-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Resist the dark side Luke........

IWRBB
04-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I think it was still in the high $20k range. Talk about a car that hasn't lost value.

I dunno man, that car was likely over 60K out the door when it was new, plus it has, what, 20K in mods? They hold their value better than most, but not all that great... I daresay my Cobra is holding it's value better than the Supra did.

Gene
04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I dunno man, that car was likely over 60K out the door when it was new, plus it has, what, 20K in mods? They hold their value better than most, but not all that great... I daresay my Cobra is holding it's value better than the Supra did.

The Supra was less than $40k when it was new. So it's pretty similar to the 03/04 Cobra for holding value. Pretty much for the same reasons, too (strong drivetrain, stupid amount of power potential, etc). Even stock mid-90s Supras sell in the low 20k range.

I had a Gen3 Supra Turbo, and it was also really well-engineered. Fun car, and that straight six is a hell of an engine.

PonymanfiveO
04-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Ive loved Supras since I worked at Toyota on Beechmont.

If I ever have the stupid amounts of money to have a car collection, Id have one.

Ranger50
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Lemme guess, Trent stopped by? :)

IWRBB
04-01-2007, 01:34 PM
The Supra was less than $40k when it was new. So it's pretty similar to the 03/04 Cobra for holding value. Pretty much for the same reasons, too (strong drivetrain, stupid amount of power potential, etc). Even stock mid-90s Supras sell in the low 20k range.

I guess we are both off, it looks like they went for $44,500 when new. So almost $48,000 out the door, that was in 1994 dollars too. There was a reason they stopped making them, too damned expensive for people to buy.

I had a Gen3 Supra Turbo, and it was also really well-engineered. Fun car, and that straight six is a hell of an engine.
Straight engines are tough as nails, no doubt..

Paul408Notch
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Lemme guess, Trent stopped by? :)

I went over to his place, but yeah.

I also forgot... that car has one of the worst exhaust notes I've ever heard. Maybe once it's up in the boost it sounds good, but following behind it, you'd think it was a Toyota pickup with straight pipes.

Whenever I read up on the HKS tuning crap that's in it, I have to work with those and get it tuned in a little better.

Gene
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I also forgot... that car has one of the worst exhaust notes I've ever heard. Maybe once it's up in the boost it sounds good, but following behind it, you'd think it was a Toyota pickup with straight pipes.

Whenever I read up on the HKS tuning crap that's in it, I have to work with those and get it tuned in a little better.

If the exhaust sounds like ass, then there's something wrong with the car. It's not quite a screamer like a BMW M Power straight six, but it should still have a good sound to it.

I guess we are both off, it looks like they went for $44,500 when new. So almost $48,000 out the door, that was in 1994 dollars too. There was a reason they stopped making them, too damned expensive for people to buy.

Yeah, you're right...I was thinking of the NA Supras. The price was the big killer on them. $40k in the mid 90s would get you a BMW M3 or a 968 as well, both of which had much more poseur cred than a Toyota.

Sharad
04-01-2007, 06:00 PM
If the exhaust sounds like ass, then there's something wrong with the car. It's not quite a screamer like a BMW M Power straight six, but it should still have a good sound to it.

I disagree. I think they're sweet cars and I'd own one if the price was right... but I think they all sound like a boat with an inboard V-6 pulling a skier down the lake!

bobtsgt
04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I loved my MK3 when I had it. Fun car to build and I learned a lot.

Ive loved Supras since I worked at Toyota on Beechmont.

If I ever have the stupid amounts of money to have a car collection, Id have one.

When did you work there?

PonymanfiveO
04-02-2007, 02:29 AM
ummmm....'99 to late '00 maybe early '01.

I had the Black '89 GT parked across the street.;)

bobtsgt
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
ah. you must have left right before I started then. I started around early to mid 01. I remember the car though.