Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any ASE Certified Mechanics [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any ASE Certified Mechanics

Chunk94GT
03-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I am really considering going to school and getting my ASE Certification. I was wondering if anyone on here was certified and could tell me some Pros and Cons of being a Mechanic. My goal is to work for a Dealership for a couple of years then maybe getting more in depth with engine building. I would like to go to SAM (School of Automotive Machinist) in Houston TX for High Performance Engine Building. If anyone can give me some advise good or bad, anything that can help me along the way. I really appreciate any advise in advance.

-Josh

Timido
03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
I would skip the Dealership and go right to S.A.M. I did Ford Asset school and worked at a Ford Dealer for about 10 years. I you are willing to hustle the money is good. It is Great or it sucks depends on the economy and where you are working. I enjoyed what I did. The dealership employee is driven by profit.

MrsAPE
03-29-2007, 09:07 AM
hubby alan (aperacer) is certified tech. or certified grease monkey as i call him. ;) i'll let him know you have questions.

aperacer
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
i would also skip the dealer and go strait to S.A.M. ase certs are only worth the paper they are printed on... i have been a master for 10 years. and held L1 and L2 from the time they made the test avaliable... they have not earned me any more money and the knolege is general......good luck

Timido
03-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Experience will make you money. I think it would be cool to go to SAM and get into engine building.

bangingears
03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
i have worked at a dealer and at private independent shops. If you have a good service manager and are a decent tech, the money is definetly there. most shops will pay good money for master techs and can walk right into a job and ask for 20-25$ and they won't think twice about it. Also most shops will pay for the ASE tests and give you a raise also. It will take awhile to become a master tech, as the tests are twice a year and I think you can only take 3-4 at one time. I believe they are coming up in the next few weeks, if interested.

Chunk94GT
03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm thinking of going to Cincy State and take ASTC. But how would i do a asset school for a dealership. I really want to get more in depth with the racing side of things basicly where the money is at. I really want to go to S.A.M and then the sky is the limit for me to make it in the industry of cars. i just wonder if it is worth it to pay to go to school or is there a way to work for a company and let them pay for my school.

-Josh

cstreu1026
03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Maybe send a PM to Higgy. I think he went to Wyotech and is working at the BMW Store. I recall reading about him going through some specialized training for specific makes, but I can't reember if that was while he was in school or if the dealer sent him.

Timido
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I paid for Asset. If you want to work at a dealer go to a Asset type school. If you want to build Performane engines go to a SAM type school

theyallslow
03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
:agree:

another SBZ and i both went to NTI (Nascar Technical Institute). if you apply your self when you get there, you can do anything to a car.

aperacer
03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
i went through the GM ACEP program i liked it.. i have been in a dealer for 10 years now... i have to agree if you are a montivated person there is money to be made...but going to school either way is a good idea....just my 2 cents worth..

Black92LX
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe send a PM to Higgy. I think he went to Wyotech and is working at the BMW Store. I recall reading about him going through some specialized training for specific makes, but I can't reember if that was while he was in school or if the dealer sent him.

The dealer sent him

Chunk94GT
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
:agree:

another SBZ and i both went to NTI (Nascar Technical Institute). if you apply your self when you get there, you can do anything to a car.

Would you say you got your moneys worth. I have heard alot of people say wyotech rushes everything so much that by the time you start to soak all the information in you move on and its really hard to keep up.

I have thought about going to NTI. Did you develop the training to get your ASE and more or just the extras.

-Josh

transman
03-29-2007, 07:28 PM
ive been a master tech for 7 years know 4 or 5 years ago i was tripping over piles of money but the econmy seemed to take a turn for the worse

theyallslow
03-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I think that i got my moneys worth. it is all of what you make of it. I am waiting on zzambucca to tell you what he thinks. it was like 30K and for the 40 weeks that i was there. you only have to be at school for 6 hours a day I was there for 14. it will take about a year and a half but you would need to got to a post school after NTI. if you would like to get in with that most for the money.

zzambucca
03-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you have any idea how flat rate works yet? I would look into that before I plan my career. The whole idea promotes shortcuts and poor work, as long as it gets done without a comeback. You could be paid almost nothing, because alot of dealers have no minimum hours paid while starting out. If you are not quick to pick things up, you may never beat book time. The only way to make money is to beat book time by 2, or do it in half the time or better. It is possible, but not if done properly. I personally went through the Nascar campus of UTI, which I learned alot. The first thing I learned was that the ASE's are just something to impress the customer. I have met people with absolutely NO mechanical ability or common sense, but had multiple ASE's. If you can remember books, you can pass a test. They have some books out to help you study for the ASE's that are supposed to be very close to the tests. All it is is a patch to put on your shoulder at work. You can get an ASE certification for selling parts, like the counter guy at Autozone. What good does that do, I do not know. I would definitely goto school if you are interested in the automotive industry. I would only recommend S.A.M. if you want to be in some sort of motorsports or engine shop. If you go, you better be the best in your class, because there are not a massive amount of jobs for that. For general or specialized auto repair, there are many schools to choose from. Community college classes, GM's classes, Ford FACT/ASSET, UTI, Wyo-Tech, and SAM just to name a few. I personally lucked out and got a job for VW of North America prepping new cars for corporate employees and also maintenance/repairs. I have no ASE's. They did not even ask if I had any when I was hired. Have fun with your search.

87poopcoupe
03-29-2007, 08:53 PM
bump..... ASE's are kinda a joke imo... but it does look impressive to customers , and looks great on a resume. but for some reason i keep on taking more test and i am working on getting my master tech status

there is also sinclare college and another up north i forget the name of ?

bangingears
03-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I also did the ford asset program and took many classes at Sinclair collage up in dayton, I learned a lot at sinclair and they have a very good program going. If you are interested in S.A.M. there is a guy named Eric Koenig on the hardcore50 boards, you can look him up to get an "insiders" point of view.

Chunk94GT
03-30-2007, 12:20 AM
First i would like to thank everyone for the advise. I have narrowed it down to two options. I mainly want the ASE Cert. just for the two years of school to help assist myself in securing the confidence of knowing cars in general. So the options are.

1. Go to Ciny State Tech for two years get my 36.0 credit hours graduate in two years take the test and get ASE Cert. Right as soon as i graduate take the money me and the wife save up and move to houston TX and attend SAM, work my ass off to try and be one of the top in my class and try to work for one of the top companys in the motorsport world.

2. Go to SAM graduate and then go to a tech school for the ASE which i don't think would be the smartest way to do it but i can.

I would really like to talk to Eric Koenig (by the way the name sounds really familiar) to ask some questions if you know of anyway i could talk to him. Again i would like to thank you all for the input and keep it coming if you can. I will keep you guys updated on what i get going, but i know that i will not end up at a dealership from the way it sounds i would probably be really unhappy at one.

-Josh

Tuner6560
03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
work for the imports their business continues to grow. forget about ever working for the domestics, they are so far behind they should just probably go ahead and go out of business for good. besides all the race engines are old technology that gm and ford and chrysler couldn't get right on their own. good luck with your new career choice

mustangie
03-30-2007, 07:40 AM
if your goal is to have automotive degree apply to adealer and have them sponsor you work part time school part time chrysler has a program cap = chrysler aprenticeship program its at sinclair earn a two year degree in auto mechanics and dealer pay's part or all they also help you get ase's while in school

higgy87
03-30-2007, 08:11 AM
My turn!

I decided to go to Wyotech back in 03', basically to better inform myself with all the ins and outs of the automobile. I decided while I was there that I didnt want to end up working on big dirty trucks so when I graduated in dec. of 03' (nine month course), I started going dealership to dealership handing out resumes. Most of which were better car makes (lexus, bmw, benz, vw) but I through in a few others like Cadillac, toyota, jag.

I got job offers from Camargo Cadillac (bullshit), which i happily turned down, they offered me $7 an hour :rolleyes: The next week I got hired on at Mercedes Benz...two days before I was to start The Bmw Store called me up. I drove up there and was offered a job on the spot. Better pay, great benefits, tons of schooling (all paid for). So I accepted that job, called benz and told them i wasnt going to be in on wednesday.

Since then I've been all over the east coast going to school, all of which is on the Store's dime, I've been trained on BMW's and Mini Coopers. I do work on the Mini team, so about 90% of what I do is fix those little cars. All the rest is Bmw's. Theres one guy on our team that got hired in b/c he was a friend of a friend, no education about cars etc... Everyone hates the guy, he sucks ass at fixin cars and has lots of comebacks. Everyone else has paid their dues and went to school, dropped 20k and is now a better tech for it. I would deff. reccommend going to school if you can.

Even though the economy has been suckin ass for the past year or so I'm still making 60k+ every year, and yes, you can beat warranty time, take shortcuts and have no comebacks...I do it everyday! Not to bad for only being 23. And I get a smokin deal on new cars too, my wife is driving a BMW too, at like 1/2 price :cool1: Its a long process, but it can be fun, enjoyable and very worth it. I've been there a while now and have started turning the wheels about doing some work for an aftermarket place or opening my own deal...anythings possible.

-higgy